Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax Zeiss Distagon 45mm for people...  (Read 5964 times)

jeff_singer

• Jeff Singer Photography
Contax Zeiss Distagon 45mm for people...
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:46:08 am »

Seems to be a lot of discussion about the Zeiss Distagon lately.

I just bought a Contax system.  I'm switching from the Hasselblad V system.  I have the Hasselblad 50mm CFi, which is a great lens.  I was planning on selling it and getting the Contax Zeiss Distagon 45mm lens.  However, I read a review somewhere that the lens was not great for shooting people (which I do) because of distortion.  I don't see that problem with the Hasselblad 50mm.

This was only one review, but I can't find other reviews of this lens.  Any people shooters here using the Contax 45mm care to give their opinion on the lens.  If it turns out to have too much distortion I could just get the converter to use the Hasselblad on the Contax.

Thanks,
jeff
jeff singer | photography
[url=http://je

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:25:15 pm »

I just bought a Contax system.  I'm switching from the Hasselblad V system.  I have the Hasselblad 50mm CFi, which is a great lens.  I was planning on selling it and getting the Contax Zeiss Distagon 45mm lens.  However, I read a review somewhere that the lens was not great for shooting people (which I do) because of distortion.  I don't see that problem with the Hasselblad 50mm.

This was only one review, but I can't find other reviews of this lens.  Any people shooters here using the Contax 45mm care to give their opinion on the lens.  If it turns out to have too much distortion I could just get the converter to use the Hasselblad on the Contax.

Thanks,
jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff,
I have the 45mm Contax LNIB with hood, box papers and case. I haven't seen any distortion, but haven't shot it that much. I'm only selling because I recently found a 35mm lens and they seem to be to close for me to carry both. Let me know if you're interested, its a way better deal than any on e-bay. Sale for $975.00 including paypal.

jeff_singer

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:40:02 pm »

Ben,

I just sent you a private email.

I agree the 35 and 45 are too close.  For me, 45 is about as wide as I usually go though.

Are any of the pics on your website shot with the 45?  Not that you can tell much from a web pic.

Thanks,
jeff

Jeff,
I have the 45mm Contax LNIB with hood, box papers and case. I haven't seen any distortion, but haven't shot it that much. I'm only selling because I recently found a 35mm lens and they seem to be to close for me to carry both. Let me know if you're interested, its a way better deal than any on e-bay. Sale for $975.00 including paypal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RicAgu

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:17:55 pm »

It may be cheaper and better in the long run to get the Zoerk apater for Hassy V to Contax.

I had the Zoerk for my Contax to use Hassy V and Pentax 67 lenses before I sold the Contax kit.

I highly advise this route.  The Zoerks are great.  you may also be able to use the Hassy FE lenses for the Contax.  300/2.8/ 50/2.8 100/2.0 all from Zeiss.

Best of luck

R

jeff_singer

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:19 pm »

Actually, based on the going rate for a Contax 45mm and the going rate for a Hasselblad 50mm cfi in the condition mine is in, I will be coming out with extra money by selling the Hasselblad.

BUT, if the Hasselblad lens is better then the extra money doesn't mean much to me.

Jeff

It may be cheaper and better in the long run to get the Zoerk apater for Hassy V to Contax.

I had the Zoerk for my Contax to use Hassy V and Pentax 67 lenses before I sold the Contax kit.

I highly advise this route.  The Zoerks are great.  you may also be able to use the Hassy FE lenses for the Contax.  300/2.8/ 50/2.8 100/2.0 all from Zeiss.

Best of luck

R
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tomas Johanson

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:52:58 pm »

Actually, based on the going rate for a Contax 45mm and the going rate for a Hasselblad 50mm cfi in the condition mine is in, I will be coming out with extra money by selling the Hasselblad.

BUT, if the Hasselblad lens is better then the extra money doesn't mean much to me.

Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use both Contax 35 and 45mm.
Havn´t compared with Hasselblad but the Distagon 45 shows very little distorsion, I think you will be satisfied with it.

/Tomas

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:00:20 am »

I just bought a Contax system.  I'm switching from the Hasselblad V system.  I have the Hasselblad 50mm CFi, which is a great lens.  I was planning on selling it and getting the Contax Zeiss Distagon 45mm lens.  However, I read a review somewhere that the lens was not great for shooting people (which I do) because of distortion.  I don't see that problem with the Hasselblad 50mm.

This was only one review, but I can't find other reviews of this lens.  Any people shooters here using the Contax 45mm care to give their opinion on the lens.  If it turns out to have too much distortion I could just get the converter to use the Hasselblad on the Contax.

Thanks,
jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
At one time I have the CF50/4 and FE 50/2.8 and 45 Distagon when shooting film, I think 45 Distagon has higher contrast and at least as sharp or better as on the Velvia to and projected on a screen, it is visble to me the 45 Distaon is better for my taste.
Coming to digital, I keep my Contax 645, and sold my 503 and 205TCC while keeping some FE and CF/CFE lenses, but not the 50mm so I can't compare them anymore. But I believe the 45 Distagon is among the best of lenses in its class (reflex lenses), film or digital. When shooting landscape, I do not observed any distracting distortion, but for protrait work, I tend to use 45-90 Vario-Sonnar more and just happy with the result.
Distortion or not is really quite a subjective issue when shooting people and the style one is looking for so hated by one can be preferred by another, and I can't comment if either there is any distortion or the distortion is in a bad way or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up