Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XTi or 20D?  (Read 3779 times)

shmee

XTi or 20D?
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:40 am »

I'm looking into jumping into the dSLR ring and have more or less narrowed my search down to either the Canon 20D or the XTi and was looking for what people thought about them. I know someone with an XT and a couple of people with a 20D so that's kinda what's led me to go with Canons, and these models seem to fit with my budget and current skill level (still learning a lot).

I can get either camera for around the same price, so that's not a big concern. My understanding is that the 20D isn't significantly different from the 30D so I may as well save the $400 and go with the 20D seeing as how I'm still just learning this stuff.

I'm wondering if one will be noticeably better than the other. I do a lot of hiking and will probably take a bunch of landscape shots, but want something thats versatile as it will be my only camera (other than my current point-and-shoot).

The XTi seems to be a better camera, it has 1.8MP over the 20D, some more picture modes (useful?), and a sensor cleaning system. The 20D's supposed to be more comfortable to hold, a little more durably constructed and "higher quality?" Those seem to be the main points of differentiation, and just looking at the stats the XTi seems to be the easy winner, but I was wondering if there are other concerns that I'm missing.

Thanks for the help, sorry if this has been asked before, I poked around for a bit and couldn't find anything.

DarkPenguin

XTi or 20D?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:39:09 am »

The view finder is bigger, it has a top lcd and a rear control wheel.

The xti has a dust buster and larger lcd.

Camera size and handling is to taste.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
XTi or 20D?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:55:34 pm »

I would take picture modes out the comparison. They are almost never used by any serous shooter.

Base your judgement on the other factors.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

aduke

XTi or 20D?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:12:24 pm »

You need to handle both cameras. When my son was looking for one, after handling my 10D, he found that the Rebel was too small to handle.

Alan

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
XTi or 20D?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:32:29 pm »

Looking at the XTi, 20D and 30D as a backup for my 5D, I found the 30D (with the exception of dust busting) a superior expert feeling camera.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

adamsfoto_CPC

• http://www.porters.com
XTi or 20D?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 08:06:08 pm »

You may also want to consider:

5 fps(20D) vs. 3fps(Xti)

1/8000 sec max shutter vs. 1/4000 sec

1/250 sec flash sync vs 1/200 sec

3.5% center spot metering vs. nada

magnesium alloy chassis vs. ?

I would agree the 20D has a better feel, you can get vert. grips for both which does improve the feel of the Xti a ton in my opinion.

20D feels more like a "tool" to me than the Xti, but that's just one man's opinion, everybody's different.

cheers,
Paul Adams
Certified Photographic Consu

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
XTi or 20D?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 09:44:36 pm »

The XTi seems to be a better camera, it has 1.8MP over the 20D, some more picture modes (useful?), and a sensor cleaning system. The 20D's supposed to be more comfortable to hold, a little more durably constructed and "higher quality?"...

I'd expect the XTi to give you not only more resolution but to also give you better high-ISO performance, but I don't have numbers to back that up.  Otherwise I think your comments and the other ideas mentioned in this thread cover it.

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

John Sheehy

XTi or 20D?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:38 pm »

I'd expect the XTi to give you not only more resolution but to also give you better high-ISO performance, but I don't have numbers to back that up.  Otherwise I think your comments and the other ideas mentioned in this thread cover it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 20D is much better at anything above ISO 400, as far as noise is concerned.  The XTi has read noise 1.1 stops higher, relative to signal, than the the 20D at ISO 1600, with the same Tv and Av values and the same subject and lighting.

The shadows are a tad better at ISOs 100 and 200 on the XTi, assuming you expose to the RAW "right" on both cameras.

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
XTi or 20D?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:07 am »

The 20D is much better at anything above ISO 400, as far as noise is concerned.  The XTi has read noise 1.1 stops higher, relative to signal, than the the 20D at ISO 1600, with the same Tv and Av values and the same subject and lighting.

The shadows are a tad better at ISOs 100 and 200 on the XTi, assuming you expose to the RAW "right" on both cameras.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll take your data over my intuition any day.  Thanks.  

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h
Pages: [1]   Go Up