Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing files by date  (Read 3179 times)

witwald

Problem importing files by date
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:39:52 am »

I'm trying to use Lightroom to import my photos from a cardreader. I would like to store them in a folder hierarchy based on shooting date using the following example convention:

2007\2007_02_27

Unfortunately for me, it looks as if Lightroom can only save them in folders based on the following formatting convention:

2007\2007-02-27

This is a real problem, as I don't want to have to rename all of my existing folders to force my structure into the one that Lightroom apparently uses exclusively. I can continue using iImport to copy my files across to my PC, and then import them into Lightroom, but this adds an unwanted step to the whole process. I'd much rather that Lightroom was able to fire up and do want I want it to.

Is there any way around this date formatting issue? It seems to be a bit of an oversight if there's no easy solution within Lightroom's feature set.

--
Witold
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:40:18 am by witwald »

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:08:53 am »

I'm in the same boat, I have been naming my files in the format 2007-08-31 (filename) and can't seem to change the format of the date setting.. Does anyone have a solution?

thanks
Paul

burgo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:15:37 pm »

Quote from: witwald,Feb 27 2007, 08:39 PM
I'm trying to use Lightroom to import my photos from a cardreader. I would like to store them in a folder hierarchy based on shooting date using the following example convention:

2007\2007_02_27

I too would like this fixed, years ago I changed my naming format from
YYYY-MM-DD to YYYY_MM_DD in order to be compatible with the then Canon import naming format (zoombrowser etc) of using underscores.

Now I find this widely used format isn't supported by Lightroom import, I'm flabbergasted that this format wasn't in v1.0, let alone v1.1 or 1.2.

Is there some anti-Canon crusade going on by the Adobe developers behind this omission?

I've read other posts on the Adobe forums requesting this, seems they're ignored too.

Regards

Burgo

Ian Lyons

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 04:09:29 am »

2007\2007_02_27

Unfortunately for me, it looks as if Lightroom can only save them in folders based on the following formatting convention:

2007\2007-02-27

Is there any way around this date formatting issue? It seems to be a bit of an oversight if there's no easy solution within Lightroom's feature set.

Double click the folder name in the content area of the Import dialog and edit the folder name to match your requirements

burgo

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:06:49 am »

Double click the folder name in the content area of the Import dialog and edit the folder name to match your requirements
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, that's definitely an improvement over manually copying the images to a folder & then importing, but it is still only a work around, the date format with underscores doesn't get added to the list of selectable formats - thus this needs to be edited everytime an import is done.

nice work though.

cheers

Burgo
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 06:07:18 am by burgo »

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:40:45 am »

Thanks, that's definitely an improvement over manually copying the images to a folder & then importing, but it is still only a work around, the date format with underscores doesn't get added to the list of selectable formats
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It has definitely been asked for as a feature request. However it might be easier to rename after import as the renaming presets are much more comprehensive.

Import your images, select them, press F2 and build your Preset, save it.

Hopefully in a future version this can be used on import too.

Richard Earney

--
[a href=\"http://inside-lightroom.com]http://inside-lightroom.com[/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up