Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails too slow  (Read 5233 times)

marclile

Thumbnails too slow
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:22:01 pm »

Anyone else running 1.0 notice that it seems to be ALWAYS be updating the thumbnails in the grid view?  If I scroll down and then scroll back up it has to refresh the thumbnails again.  It's making the application feel very slow...  In my opinion anyway.

jliechty

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:54 am »

This happens to me also. Lightroom's UI does not seem to be very well optimized, nor does it seem to be taking advantage of more than one processor core while it is "loading" or redrawing a photo when one zooms in.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:18 am »

I'm seeing the same thing here, let's hope Adobe do some work on this for the next release.

Paul

pdm

• http://pdmphotography.com/
Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:48:17 am »

Did you allow LightRoom to generate previews for all your images on import or uncheck that box?  I did not let it generate and things were horribly slow to be sure.  One night before bed I selected my entire library and went to Library->Previews->render standard size previews and when i woke up it was still going, but after breakfast speed was much improved.  I might almost call it zippy on my 2x 2.5Ghz G5 with 4GB RAM. Almost, but not quite.
--
Phillip Moore [url=http://pdmphotogra

jliechty

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:06:38 pm »

I have been rendering previews on import, but am now wondering if the problem might lie with Windows Vista... Are any of those of you who have this problem using Windows XP?

marclile

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:19:57 pm »

I have been rendering previews on import, but am now wondering if the problem might lie with Windows Vista... Are any of those of you who have this problem using Windows XP?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yeah i'm using Vista too.  and i also rendered the previews on import.  one other thing i noticed though...  i have the option set to write the xmp data to the image files, so if i rebuild my computer or something the keywords and rating are still in the files, and i've noticed that, along with redrawing the thumbnails when i scroll, it also seems to be writing to each file every time i scroll down and then back up.  i get the "..." on the thumbnails every time i scroll.  anyone else notice this?

seanmcfoto

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »

yeah i'm using Vista too.  and i also rendered the previews on import.  one other thing i noticed though...  i have the option set to write the xmp data to the image files, so if i rebuild my computer or something the keywords and rating are still in the files, and i've noticed that, along with redrawing the thumbnails when i scroll, it also seems to be writing to each file every time i scroll down and then back up.  i get the "..." on the thumbnails every time i scroll.  anyone else notice this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That option drags it to halt because for Jpeg, Tiff and DNG a safe copy is created and when the file is verified, it is deleted. This takes time. I'd switch this off and use 'Export XMP to file' when needed instead.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

marclile

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:19 pm »

That option drags it to halt because for Jpeg, Tiff and DNG a safe copy is created and when the file is verified, it is deleted. This takes time. I'd switch this off and use 'Export XMP to file' when needed instead.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
So the "export xmp data to file" means that it writes all of the data to the actually JPG files.  i thought that i read somewhere that when you clicked on that option it wrote .xmp files for the images...

marclile

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:33 am »

i kind of noticed what it's doing, i just don't understand why.  when i scroll down or up it looks like it initially shows a very compressed thumbnail and then it gets clearer and then again gets clearer again, finally showing a good looking thumbnail.

the only thing i don't understand is if it ends up loading a clear thumbnail, why isn't it caching that one in the thumbnail cache file, why is it only caching the really compressed one?

Ian Matthews

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 04:30:58 pm »

I had the same thing but mine now scrolls perfectly.
Go to prefs and check "automatically write to XMP". It will take a while to do this but then should solve jittery scrolling.

Ian

marclile

Thumbnails too slow
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:02:13 pm »

I had the same thing but mine now scrolls perfectly.
Go to prefs and check "automatically write to XMP". It will take a while to do this but then should solve jittery scrolling.

Ian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm note sure i understand what you mean.  I have that option checked but I don't think that writing the xmp data to the files or not has anything to do with the thumbnails constantly reloading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up