Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF Frustration  (Read 8114 times)

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
MF Frustration
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 02:13:11 pm »

Yes, I agree. But I know what I like and what I want in a print. I've seen plenty of big prints from 35 mm gear that captured excellent subject matter, with great composition and exposure. But in general they looked a little soft, and that's a big turnoff for me, so much so that I generally don't print larger than 11 x 17 with my current gear. Whether it makes a difference to a prospective customer is important, but it's not as important to me as my own personal reaction to my prints. I'm not going to try to sell people something that I myself am not satisfied with. Right now I'm fairly satisfied with my work, as long as I don't print big. I get nice reactions from people looking at my stuff, and I've sold a few prints without really even trying. But I want to start printing bigger, and for that I want more fine detail. It's really that simple.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Hans,

Based on what you say, and I have exactly the same experience, feelings, requiremnents, etc., you really will not be happy with the image quality for your big fine art prints that you get from a dslr..wether current or, I can only imagine, a 22mp canon etc.
You obviousely have very high print standards based on experience of big prints from big film.
I really have to say that the only way you will be able to know what will work for you is to do a shoot on both 67 film and a top mf digital back for your type of subject..then make a crop from a 40x30 inch enlargement on whatever printer you would use..lightjet / lambda / epson etc.
Only then , to your eyes will you know if a mfdb will satisfy your demands...you could also throw in a top dslr into th emix but I think you laready know what your reaction to that will be.

If the mfdb does it for you you could then do one further shoot comparing say this top db with a lesser one to see what you feel you can get away with in terms of db for your standards.
certainly this test will cost you a little bit in terms of back hire, etc but it really is the only way to know what equipment will satisfy your demands..and then if you think it is worth the cost.

Now for me there is no current justification to spend £16000+ on a db simply for my art work..of course I would use it for all my other work also but right now the best combination for me in terms of first image qulaity for various specific needs (stock / job / fine art) and then convenince has me working with a dslr and an ebony with 69 -54 film...also mfdb can be hired whenever necessary and the client is paying for it!

My guess..unless you have no problem with spending over £16000 on a top db or can justify it in a business sense is that you will continue to shoot film for your fine art landscape work..but that is just my guess!!
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up