Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap hack to reduce launch time and memory usage  (Read 7219 times)

orangekay

Cheap hack to reduce launch time and memory usage
« on: February 25, 2007, 06:41:36 am »

I imagine a lot of people out there find they have little to no use for one or more of Lightroom's "modules" as they are currently implemented, and luckily, Adobe built all of these things as dynamically loadable plugins which can be removed from the application bundle and thereby exorcized from the interface altogether. I have found this to have the beneficial side-effect of reducing Lightroom's launch time and memory usage as well.

In my experience, immediately after launch, Lightroom consumed 113MB of "real" memory and 322 of virtual (note that this figure as Apple reports it includes any memory used by shared libraries and is not usually terribly meaningful). After I yanked out the "Web" "Print" and "Slideshow" modules, these numbers went down to 66MB and 296MB respectively, and the application launched noticeably faster. Obviously the heap can and will grow with further use, but it should remain at least a little bit leaner than it would have been otherwise.  

If you find yourself in the same boat as myself and want to trim a little fat, just use the Finder to dive into Lightroom's "Package Contents", drill down into /Contents/PlugIns and trash anything you don't want (might want to make a backup before you do this just in case you change your mind later). I'd leave Export.agmodule and XML.agtoolkit alone as they are likely critical to several aspects of the application's functionality you wouldn't want to break.

orangekay

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:57:16 am »

In doing this I also discovered a potential means of end-user automation in the form of a hidden scripts menu. If you open up /Contents/StartupScripts/ScriptsMenu.lua and comment out the line that reads

if RELEASE_BUILD then return end

on the next launch Lightroom will have an extra menu in its menubar populated with the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Scripts. It seems as though it will only execute Lua files (no AppleScript or JavaScript support that I can see), but an enterprising user might be able to gain control of UI elements by inspecting all the Lua code that was in the public betas, thereby opening a door for some fancy Action-like functionality.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:57:36 am by orangekay »

seanmcfoto

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:55:33 am »

I'm more than aware you can do this and have tested it before in the past. You can also even move them to the Modules folder in Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom and they will work (slower) from there). But, could you quit projecting what you feel on to 'a lot of people'. As it happens I use all the modules. And so do others.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

orangekay

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 04:07:14 pm »

I'm more than aware you can do this and have tested it before in the past.

Are you aware of the fact that "a lot of people" are not aware of what you are and are not aware of? I don't recall seeing any exhibitions of Man Ray ripoffs at any galleries in my area recently, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm unfamiliar with your myriad contributions to the blogosphere as I've never heard of you.

But, could you quit projecting what you feel on to 'a lot of people'. As it happens I use all the modules. And so do others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you quit taking a minor tip posted by a random stranger on an internet forum as some kind of personal attack against you or are you honestly so highly suggestible that you are incapable of resisting the urge to do everything you read about whether you want to or not? If you don't want to do it, then don't do it. God knows I'm not going to run out and gain 200 pounds, grow a beard lose all of my hair and start up a blog nobody reads just because I saw someone on the internet do it.

Kuryan Thomas

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:07:38 am »

But, could you quit projecting what you feel on to 'a lot of people'. As it happens I use all the modules. And so do others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wow. Wrong side of the bed.

I don't use those modules, since I print from IP and use iWeb. So my thanks to orangekay.

thulme

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:08:00 am »

OrangeKay,

Thanks for the tip. Definately helpful. The program was intended to be modular and modifiable. Guess some people don't understand that.

With Regard to Seanmcfoto, The guy needs to get a life.
The Lightroom MVC's are some of the biggest pain-in the-asses I've ever run across. On another unnamed forum the have yet to provide any useful respones to my inquiries, with the exception of LeeRay. 90% of the time they just put you down for merely asking a question. As you can well see from the post in this thread.

Sad imo. If you know of another forum besides this one and Adobes where these guys DON'T hnag out let me know. I sure I'm not the only one who's growing tired of their attitude on the forums.

th

seanmcfoto

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 07:46:34 pm »

Sniff Sniff. My feelings are so hurt. Attitude? More of it in these last posts than anywhere I've seen. Orangekay, you do assume that everyone has the same opinion. And of course some do.  I'd be surprised if we all agreed.

And as for Manray, the post is even titled After Manray and was done for the girl as her tattoos were done in honour of his Le Violin D'Ingres. She wanted them done and I just posted one of them. So what?

I have a life. Wife, kid, fun, you know the stuff.. Yep, need to loose weight, but certainly not 200lbs, I'd be like... 16lbs then. Beard needs a trim bad too, thanks for noticing. Hair, Haven't lost it all yet.. probably will like my grandad.. genetics and all that. Loads of hits on the blog.. I write because I want to, not for anyone in particular.

Re the tip. The tip is cool, never said it wasn't. And a good find.
I'm sorry if you feel put down, or anyone for that matter, it's not my intention. The net is not a great place for conveying emotion. I have never made a mention of MVC. Others have. I don't. Don't feel the need to and have no reason to. Lots of people are glad of the help I have given.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:47:42 pm by seanmcfoto »
Sean McCormack

macgyver

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:53:25 pm »

What is an MVC?

seanmcfoto

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 07:58:42 pm »

Wow. Wrong side of the bed.

I don't use those modules, since I print from IP and use iWeb. So my thanks to orangekay.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And that's fine. IP offers way more control than Print. I use Web because I hacked out a template to match the site, simple as that. I think that it's way too hard for the average photographer to do this though.
Sean McCormack

thulme

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:44 pm »

What is an MVC?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it must be an abbreviation for "cranky old geeks or something" )

Sean, you indeed don't banner your MVC status, however many have since the version 1.0 release and that's fine. I would if I could.

As to attitude it was in fact you who was the first responder to my very first post on the Adobe forums. Your response was a short one line sentence that basically told me to f___-off and not waste the forums bandwidth. Even my wife could read between the lines (actually only one). Her response was "what's his problem?"

Second post different question and a similar response from one of the colonies (down under). Later to learn he was also MVC.

Do you see a pattern here. As I stated above LeeRay(i think) as he goes by on the Adobe U2U forum has been the only polite and helpful individual to me, to date.

Go easy on the newbies, the forums are here to help, not scare people off.

th

seanmcfoto

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:31:49 pm »

I think it must be an abbreviation for "cranky old geeks or something" )

Sean, you indeed don't banner your MVC status, however many have since the version 1.0 release and that's fine. I would if I could.

As to attitude it was in fact you who was the first responder to my very first post on the Adobe forums. Your response was a short one line sentence that basically told me to f___-off and not waste the forums bandwidth. Even my wife could read between the lines (actually only one). Her response was "what's his problem?"

Second post different question and a similar response from one of the colonies (down under). Later to learn he was also MVC.

Do you see a pattern here. As I stated above LeeRay(i think) as he goes by on the Adobe U2U forum has been the only polite and helpful individual to me, to date.

Go easy on the newbies, the forums are here to help, not scare people off.

th
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim,
You are probably more than right here. If you can let me explain, hopefully I can set it right. The night LR went live, as you know, there was a deluge of posts. I was tired and could well have been cranky
I did stop writing and leave it alone. Why was I there? Well I did prerelease test it and pushed to get a lot of the cool new features in. When it was released I was really excited about it. But then the inevitable issues arose and I guess I got worn done by people seeing only bad and none of the great stuff.
So sorry about that... I promise to be easier. And there less!
Lee Jay doesn't do the MVC thing either. He's cool, no holds barred, tells it like it is. He hated Lightroom at first, now he thinks it's okay, but still needs work.
Sean McCormack

Kuryan Thomas

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 07:32:29 am »

What is an MVC?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most Valued...hmm, never mind.

seanmcfoto

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 05:34:17 pm »

Most Valued...hmm, never mind.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103462\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry you feel that way. I didn't make nor do I use the term.
Sean McCormack

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »

Sad imo. If you know of another forum besides this one and Adobes where these guys DON'T hnag out let me know. I sure I'm not the only one who's growing tired of their attitude on the forums.
On forums like this, you can at least choose to ignore posters you don't want to read.

They'll still show up, but you have to either actively unignore the poster or click to view the contents of their posts.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up