Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use 3 gamut mappings in Eye One Match  (Read 4697 times)

madmanchan

• Web
How to use 3 gamut mappings in Eye One Match
« on: February 24, 2007, 05:28:11 pm »

Hi everyone,

When you create a custom printer profile using Eye One Match, the software uses a gamut mapping method for the Perceptual Intent called LOGO Colorful. There are two other gamut mapping methods (called Chroma Plus and Classic) which aren't accessible from the program itself. They only affect the Perceptual Intent.

If you would like to try one of the other gamut mapping methods instead of the default LOGO Colorful, you can edit the Config file (using any text editor) that is located in the same directory as the program itself.

If you want to use LOGO Chroma Plus, add this line to the Config file:

GamutMappingMethod=NewGamutMapping L0.3

If you want to use LOGO Classic, use this line instead:

GamutMappingMethod=DefaultGamutMapping

From one set of measurements, you can generate 3 profiles (one for each of the three perceptual gamut mapping methods) and use whichever one you like best. You can also make the choice of profile depending on the image.
Eric Chan

mcmorrison

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:38:28 pm »

Hello,

Thanks for this info. I have not been able to find the config file you indicate, and wonder if your instructions are for a Windows machine? I use a Mac, and wonder where the Mac equivalent file is? It has, so far, eluded me!

Thanks,

Michael Morrison

KT322

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:45 am »

Hello,

Thanks for this info. I have not been able to find the config file you indicate, and wonder if your instructions are for a Windows machine? I use a Mac, and wonder where the Mac equivalent file is? It has, so far, eluded me!

Thanks,

Michael Morrison
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Command+Click on Eye-One Match in /Applications/Eye-One Match 3 and select Show Package Contents. The config file is in Contents/MacOS/ named Config. Open it with TextEdit and follow madmanchan's instructions.

Another way is to select Go to Folder... in Finder (in the Go menu), and goto /Applications/Eye-One Match 3/Eye-One Match/Contents/MacOS/

Kiran

mcmorrison

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:40:24 am »

Hello Kiran,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been to that file, and opened it with TextEdit, and did not find any lines referring to the mapping mode. I am now embarassed to realize that the instructions say to add the lines to the file. I had assumed that I would have to change existing lines. . .

Do you suppose there are lines that could be added to make EOM produce a "large profile" or to use the "paper gray axis" too?

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:16 am »

Do you suppose there are lines that could be added to make EOM produce a "large profile" or to use the "paper gray axis" too?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The answer to the first question is no, unfortunately. Eye-One Match is hard-wired to use the medium profile size (profileSize = 2, which leads to 25 x 25 x 25 grid points). I do not believe this cannot be overridden using the Config file.

The answer to the second question is that Eye-One Match already uses the "paper gray" option by default. The alternative is "neutral gray". I also believe this cannot be specified via the Config file.
Eric Chan

Greg_E

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 04:13:40 pm »

Have you tested the rendering for this? Just wondering if it is really changing the perceptual or if it is just changing what it says in the profile header.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 05:02:33 pm »

Hi Greg,

It does change the actual contents of the perceptual tables, which I have validated in a few different ways:

1. Examining the contents of the A2B and B2A tables.

2. Soft-proofing images using profiles built 3 different ways from the same measurement data (one with Colorful, one with Chroma Plus, and one with Classic) and seeing 3 different results in Photoshop.

3. Producing prints from the same image using the 3 profiles listed in (2) above and also seeing different results.

Eric
Eric Chan

mcmorrison

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 05:13:06 pm »

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the info!

Best Regards,

Michael Morrison

Greg_E

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 06:11:02 pm »

Then good job finding the hack. I am a bit surprised that they let the software do this sort of thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up