Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem importing .CR2 and .JPG files  (Read 6416 times)

witwald

Problem importing .CR2 and .JPG files
« on: February 24, 2007, 04:55:29 pm »

I have tried using Lightroom V1.0 to import files from my Canon 400D using a cardreader. Note that my camera is set to create separate .JPG and .CR2 files (e.g. IMG_0001.CR2 and IMG_0001.JPG). There are two issues that I have come across in the file import process:

1) Lightroom recognises the cardreader and both the .CR2 and .JPG files are copied to my PC into the folder structure that I have assigned. However, only the .CR2 files are listed in the list of files to be imported.

2) The import process only adds the .CR2 file to the library. Although the .JPG file with the same filename has been copied, it is not imported. If I delete a .CR2 file from the library (i.e. remove it from the library and send it to the recycle bin), the .JPG file version of the .CR2 file still remains.

Has anyone else had these problems?

seanmcfoto

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 01:00:58 am »

I have tried using Lightroom V1.0 to import files from my Canon 400D using a cardreader. Note that my camera is set to create separate .JPG and .CR2 files (e.g. IMG_0001.CR2 and IMG_0001.JPG). There are two issues that I have come across in the file import process:

1) Lightroom recognises the cardreader and both the .CR2 and .JPG files are copied to my PC into the folder structure that I have assigned. However, only the .CR2 files are listed in the list of files to be imported.

2) The import process only adds the .CR2 file to the library. Although the .JPG file with the same filename has been copied, it is not imported. If I delete a .CR2 file from the library (i.e. remove it from the library and send it to the recycle bin), the .JPG file version of the .CR2 file still remains.

Has anyone else had these problems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A design issue. The Jpeg is treated as a sidecar and ignored. Do a batch rename adding another letter or number to the Jpeg and Import it "At Current Location" and they will come in.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:01:30 am by seanmcfoto »
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

witwald

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:50:09 am »

A design issue. The Jpeg is treated as a sidecar and ignored. Do a batch rename adding another letter or number to the Jpeg and Import it "At Current Location" and they will come in.
Sean,

Thanks for clarifying what's going on. It certainly seems to be an interesting design choice - this ignoring of images somewhat arbitrarily. It wouldn't be so bad if I had no JPG versions of the CR2 files, but unfortunately my 400D has a major downside to that option (larger CR2 files), so it's not a good solution.

The funny thing is, I have discovered that if I do a manual import, I can get both the JPG and CR2 files in one go. It's a relatively minor extra step, but I wish that I needn't resort to this.

--
Witold

seanmcfoto

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:57:40 am »

Sean,

Thanks for clarifying what's going on. It certainly seems to be an interesting design choice - this ignoring of images somewhat arbitrarily. It wouldn't be so bad if I had no JPG versions of the CR2 files, but unfortunately my 400D has a major downside to that option (larger CR2 files), so it's not a good solution.

The funny thing is, I have discovered that if I do a manual import, I can get both the JPG and CR2 files in one go. It's a relatively minor extra step, but I wish that I needn't resort to this.

--
Witold
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
We've been harping on to Adobe to either change this OR give us options.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

stefpix

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:55:54 pm »

if you rename a RAW file does the JPG gets renamed as well?
it would save me an extra step

stefano

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102901\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up