Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My experience  (Read 2995 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
My experience
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:38:54 am »

Just got in all the parts of my gear.
Truewide, 28mm schneider, 35mm nikkor and aptus65.

Things went wrong almost immediately, the first thing I did was to mount the back on the
truewide, and it is STUCK !!

The aptus is now stuck on the adapter plate.
I'm not sure which one is to blame, but I know I'll have to shave the "hooks" of the truewide if I want to be able to remove it properly next time.

Now I have to get the aptus back to the agent and blah blah blah.....

Fahsi

My experience
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:50:59 am »

the only word i can say is: goddammit!!

hope the sensor is okay!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
My experience
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:14:42 pm »

Probably nothing wrong with the sensor, the hooks are all the way on the top.

Not sure what is the problem but since the Aptus has a fairly standard mount I guess the hooks of the truewide are a bit too aggressive.

Contact Kapturegroup, great bunch of guys and very helpful.

Goodluck.

What I am really curious about is the image quality you get out of the set?? (after the glitches have been smoothed out).

rueyloon

My experience
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:43:39 am »

I'll post some photos after I use it for a proper shoot.

overall, so far, abit dissapointed with the lenses.
I can do a full shift with the 35mm nikkor, with very very little vignetting.
The schneider will show vignetting at about 8mm shift.

Distortion isn't as well controlled as I hoped. I've just spent the whole of saturday
creating files for calibrating the lenses, it helps, but I can still see distortion.

I wonder how the other guys handle the problem with distortion.

cheers
rgs
rueyloon

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
My experience
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:10:56 pm »

I have done exactly the same thing create references to cope with distortion. I don't have the 35, only the 28 (and 85PC). The 28 (at least my copy) is fairly good (as long as you avoid using it more open than f5.6).

Below I have placed 2 links to images I shot with the 28. Naturally I had to correct them, they still show some distortion but at a level I can live with (as well as the person I did the shoot for, which counts the most for me).

http://www.peperkamp.com/samples/Limmen003.jpg

http://www.peperkamp.com/samples/Limmen013.jpg

Don't forget to use the really good lenses on the thing as well. The shift lenses are in reality dogs compared to the better Nikkor (or some other F-mount) lenses. With the exception of the 85 which is a remarkably good lens but that comes with another problem (which I already mentioned to you).

Is the back separated from your truewide yet?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:19:06 pm by Dustbak »

rueyloon

My experience
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:24:10 pm »

Is the back separated from your truewide yet?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, not yet, my shoot is on monday and I'll be using the truewide, so I'll bring it back to the agent only after my shoot. Luckily it is not stucked on the Mamiya AFD, else I'll have to go back to my 5d for the shoot.

Let me check with you.

I created the files for calibration based on on the maximum possible area of capture. I stitched up images from full shifts and use that to do the calculation.

When I need to correct for an image that is shifted, I'll need to calculate where to place this image in the larger "image holder" before applying the correction.

Is this how you do it as well ?

How's the image circle of the nikkor 28mm ?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
My experience
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »

More or less the same way. I have noted the corrections for the shift in the directions I use most of the time (I never shift sidewards or in any angle in that direction so why make a calibration of that correction?).

Any use of the lens I note the shift I have used and look up the correction that comes closest. Fairly simple but enough for my use.

Naturally after the correction the image needs to get cropped eventually ending up back to around 28mm again (maybe somewhat more and closer to 26mm).

The 28mm vignettes a little bit when shifted completely (dark corner tips) but the edge performance remains adequate.

The 85 has bad edge performance when shifted to the max as well as dark corner tips. Don't go there or expect to crop back to around 80mm. I tend to use tilt a lot especially from a distance where the tilted focal plane is not noticeable. This way I can keep on using the better (center) part of the glass while still have the same endresult as with shift.
Pages: [1]   Go Up