Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax DA * Lenses  (Read 4201 times)

DarkPenguin

Pentax DA * Lenses
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:39 pm »

So,

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022105...astarlenses.asp

For those that use pentax lenses how do they stack up to Canon EF?  I know they are usually smaller and lighter.  If those pentax lenses hit the street before canon announces anything I'm interested in I may have to give them a shot.

amcinroy

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:47:34 am »

So,

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022105...astarlenses.asp

For those that use pentax lenses how do they stack up to Canon EF?  I know they are usually smaller and lighter.  If those pentax lenses hit the street before canon announces anything I'm interested in I may have to give them a shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a very interesting announcement. Notice that they are not D-FA lenses (full format). This announcement essentially locks Pentax into APS-C which in my opinion is a great move by Pentax. A consistent set of high quality DA* and limited lenses on a consistent APS sensor platform.

So now we've got complete body stabilised lens package from Pentax which works with everything from pancakes up to the new long lenses. We've got camera motor autofocus for the pancakes and lens motor for long lenses. The optical quality of the DA* and Limited lenses is top notch and lighter, cheaper to boot over the full frame equivalents.

Nice one Pentax.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

BradSmith

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:10:55 pm »

".......... The optical quality of the DA* and Limited lenses is top notch and lighter, cheaper to boot over the full frame equivalents.

Nice one Pentax.

Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andy,
You've said that the optical quality of the DA* and Limited lenses is top notch.   Are there any image tests yet of these lenses?  I'm itching to jump into DSLR fray, and like the feel and feature set of the K10d, but want some verification that the Pentax lenses made for this line are up to the quality of the Canon L's or Nikon's 2.8's.  I haven't been able to find any on-line comparisons or testimonials from people who've had both.
Brad

brycv

• http://www.digitalhub.org/
Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

Andy,
You've said that the optical quality of the DA* and Limited lenses is top notch.   Are there any image tests yet of these lenses?  I'm itching to jump into DSLR fray, and like the feel and feature set of the K10d, but want some verification that the Pentax lenses made for this line are up to the quality of the Canon L's or Nikon's 2.8's.  I haven't been able to find any on-line comparisons or testimonials from people who've had both.
Brad
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can say that from my own experience I prefer Pentax lenses. I have never used any Nikon lenses but I do have and have had some Canon lenses. I have two Canon EOS 20D bodies along with the EF 16-35/2.8L, EF 24-105/4L IS, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, and EF-S 17-85/4-5.6L IS. I have also had the EF 24/1.4L, EF 35/1.4L, EF 300/4L IS, and EF 180/3.5L Macro. I am much happier with my Pentax glass. You can look at my blog for the whole list. ([a href=\"http://blog.digitalhub.org/2006/12/my-photography-equipment.html]The Digital Hub[/url])

Specifically, I have been very disappointed with the EF 16-35/2.8L. It is decent optically but flare is a huge problem. I am convinced that Pentax has much better coatings than Canon. The EF 24/1.4L was also a disappointment. The EF-S 17-85/4-5.6L IS is all right but is nothing very good.

I compared my Pentax A* 200/4 Macro lens to the Canon 180/3.5L Macro and I clearly preferred the sharpness and color rendition of the Pentax. I did not do really formal tests or anything but that was just the feeling I got. The best Canon lenses I have had were the EF 24-105/4L IS, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, and EF 35/1.4L. These three were very good. However, I still find Pentax lenses to be at least comparable if not better. The Pentax lenses are always cheaper and lighter. I will have the new DA* lenses absolutely as soon as they are available and I can post more on them as soon as I have them. My favorite Pentax lenses right now are the DA 12-24/4, DA 21/3.2 Limited, DA 40/2.8 Limited, DA 70/2.4 Limited, FA* 80-200/2.8, and A* 200/4 Macro.

I just shot a wedding primarily using the DA 40/2.8 Limited and DA 70/2.4 Limited lenses. I used two Pentax K10D bodies and I was extremely happy with the results. Two of my employees also used K10D bodies along with Pentax FA 28-200/3.8-5.6 lenses and they turned out great as well.

Even this weekend I am at some meetings and I am just carrying around my Pentax K100D camera with the DA 40/2.8 Limited lens. It is a great combo even though it is "only" 6 megapixel. You would be hard pressed to find a smaller digital SLR and lens combination that has the same quality optically.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts on the subject. I can give more detailed information if needed.

Bryan
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:02:02 am by brycv »
2 x Pentax K10D w/D-BG2, K100D and lots

DarkPenguin

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:17:25 pm »

I've no doubt pentax makes quality primes.  What I'm not sure if is the quality of their zooms compared to canon equivalents.

brycv

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:16 pm »

I've no doubt pentax makes quality primes.  What I'm not sure if is the quality of their zooms compared to canon equivalents.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is true. I know the DA 16-45/4 lens is highly regarded. This is the first time in some time that Pentax has made pro level f/2.8 zoom lenses. If they are anything like the FA* 28-70/2.8 and FA* 80-200/2.8 lenses, they will be excellent. The FA* 80-200/2.8 goes head to head with any of the Canon or Nikon offerings without trouble. The FA* 28-70/2.8 is excellent as well and my copy seems good but I did have some AF issues with it. I think it might need to be adjusted. I bought it used and do not know the history of the lens. The only complaints about the FA* 28-70/2.8 seem to be centered around build quality. My copy seems fine but some disagree.

I find it interesting that Pentax is going the 50-135mm path instead of the 70-200mm path. I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with weight and size. I am all for that. Having carried around the heavy Canon L-glass for two weeks in Egypt and Cyprus, I can vouch for how much I prefer smaller and lighter for traveling especially when walking a significant amount of the time. Anyway, I am looking forward to putting the lenses through their paces.

Bryan
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:51:15 pm by brycv »

BradSmith

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 11:30:59 pm »

Bryan,
Thanks very much for the feedback.  Sounds like you have extensive experience, not only with Canon, but now, also with the K10d and Pentax lenses.  That's just what I was hoping for.  I'd really like to hear more when you get the new Pentax zooms that are on their way.

Brad

brycv

Pentax DA * Lenses
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 04:24:44 pm »

Bryan,
Thanks very much for the feedback.  Sounds like you have extensive experience, not only with Canon, but now, also with the K10d and Pentax lenses.  That's just what I was hoping for.  I'd really like to hear more when you get the new Pentax zooms that are on their way.

Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will definitely comment as soon as I get the lenses.

Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up