Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you doing your libraries?  (Read 3553 times)

theophilus

How are you doing your libraries?
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:22:49 pm »

I'm curious as to how everyone is dealing with the databases/libraries.  Are you importing everything into one large database?  Are you splitting it into smaller ones?

I'm going to try to do everything at once, but I only have about 2 years worth of RAW files, and I'm not a prolific shooter.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on what the optimum size of a database should be limited to.  It has to slow down sometime.

seanmcfoto

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 03:22:58 am »

50,000 images and I'll probably import the rest soon enough.

I do have a few smaller Libraries for testing though.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

johnvr

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 08:15:26 am »

I'm debating the same question. In my mind, my images are split in three groups: model shoots, other 'serious' shoots and family/friends. Some of the model shoots involved nudity and in beta 4 I could use the 'Hide' command to hide those from my kids' views when working in LR. I don't see the 'Hide' command in LR1.0 anymore, so that's the first reason I was thinking of creating two libraries.

I also use a different name on my model shoots to split them from my other work, so in my test libraries the Identity Plate setups are different because of my 'split' personality.

Separating the family/friends would make sense purely because I don't intend to ever sell pictures of my friends/family and I do intend to market the other categories.

I'm still debating this though, because it becomes a hassle on importing when I've been somewhere with my family and have to split the 'serious' work from the snapshots by importing files to different libraries.

Btw, I do intend to use LR as my main image management system, but I will use Photo Mechanic to do the initial import and I will retain the original RAW files after I copy/import those as DNG files into LR.

DaHen

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:40:22 am »

Am pondering the same question here as well.

But no matter which system we use after we are done, we will think, "gee, I should have done it a different way".  

Plus, what will work for one person may not be feasible for another.

Am trying to get some direction from the tutorial videos.  
My System: Windows8.1. Intel Core i7-377

theophilus

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:16 am »

Well, I decided to import everything in at once, 14,000 images for me.  I figured I can always use some sort of combination of starting a new library or backups or deleting out of this one to arrive at a subset.

I'm guessing I'm going to separate out my friends/family shots as well eventually.

judyn

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:07:43 pm »

All one library.  That's why I got Lightroom.  I think and hope that it does or will be able to handle large libraries and it has the metadata capabilities for me to be able to find the ones I want to find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up