Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DMkIII  (Read 10217 times)

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
1DMkIII
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:31:39 am »

I know this has been mentioned in the non-Digital section but I thought discussion on it would be better here.

Personally I'm still waiting for the 1DsMkIII, but it is very encouraging to see the new and/or updated features in the 1DMkIII. The 14bits is the major "happy factor". More advanced AF, battery,  live viewing, dust removal etc are all welcome improvements that one imagines will be the minimum feature set on the 1DsMkIII.

www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III_White_Paper.pdf

Sample images:

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/eos1dm3_sample-e.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:25:00 am by phila »

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
1DMkIII
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 02:26:21 am »

I know this has been mentioned in the non-Digital section but I thought discussion on it would be better here.

Personally I'm still waiting for the 1DsMkIII, but it is very encouraging to see the new and/or updated features in the 1DMkIII. The 14bits is the major "happy factor". More advanced AF, battery,  live viewing, dust removal etc are all welcome improvements that one imagines will be the minimum feature set on the 1DsMkIII.

www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III_White_Paper.pdf
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I have tried to put together everything and am amazed hoe great this camera is!

Live view with the camera having focus to be optimized for each lens you have!!!!!

If Canon decided to make a MF Camera, some guys would need a new job!

One can control your 1DIII by by  tethered or by WIFI and choose images from your computer 500 miles away!

House-trained: it cleans itself! The IR filter vibrates itself after you turn of the camera!

New 16-35mm lens with new glass elements corrected better to the periiphery and new motor!

New 580 EXII thrown in!

Wonderful!

Asher Kelman

[a href=\"http://openphotographyforums.com]http://openphotographyforums.com[/url]
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www

gguida

• http://www.gguida.com
1DMkIII
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:48:06 am »

The Flash demo site is full of information(http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/), but its best feature is the Shooting/Custom Functions demo. A few very interesting developments show up which prove that Canon, indeed, was more interested in debugging the previous 1 series cameras than making a revolutionary statement. One example is the possibility to reverse the control wheel operation so that P, Av and M changes all work in the same direction. On the Mk2, it is still something that catches me every time.

Another welcome change is the mirror lock with Set option. If it is what I think it is, because they call it "Down with Set" when it should really be "Up with Set". Hum, maybe it's just the old one except you can leave the mirror up between shots and only bring it down when needed? Idiots.

There are built in limitators to what setttings you can scroll through such as use P and Tv but not Av and Bulb. Could be useful and works with ISO, speeds, apertures and metering modes. Spot meter can be mapped to AF point. Stop button on long lenses has more options, including switching from AIS to One Shot. The * button is now AF start with a longer list of options.

The quick control dial can be used to quickly change ISO while metering and ISO can be set to change automatically when set exposure becomes unusable. Cool.

The highlight tone priority is interesting but just seems to shift exposure to the left. If it did more than that, it could be very useful.

So it seems there are a lot of improved features but they beg to be tried for real world usefulness.

awofinden

1DMkIII
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:47:37 am »

The Flash demo site is full of information(http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/), but its best feature is the Shooting/Custom Functions demo. A few very interesting developments show up which prove that Canon, indeed, was more interested in debugging the previous 1 series cameras than making a revolutionary statement. One example is the possibility to reverse the control wheel operation so that P, Av and M changes all work in the same direction. On the Mk2, it is still something that catches me every time.

Another welcome change is the mirror lock with Set option. If it is what I think it is, because they call it "Down with Set" when it should really be "Up with Set". Hum, maybe it's just the old one except you can leave the mirror up between shots and only bring it down when needed? Idiots.

There are built in limitators to what setttings you can scroll through such as use P and Tv but not Av and Bulb. Could be useful and works with ISO, speeds, apertures and metering modes. Spot meter can be mapped to AF point. Stop button on long lenses has more options, including switching from AIS to One Shot. The * button is now AF start with a longer list of options.

The quick control dial can be used to quickly change ISO while metering and ISO can be set to change automatically when set exposure becomes unusable. Cool.

The highlight tone priority is interesting but just seems to shift exposure to the left. If it did more than that, it could be very useful.

So it seems there are a lot of improved features but they beg to be tried for real world usefulness.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It doesn't sound like a debugging upgrade to me, that 14 bit readout is a really big deal, theoretically it gives you so many more gradations than the previous 12 bit. It'll be interesting to see what the real world result is but it certainly looks promising.

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
1DMkIII
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:39:10 pm »

I'm drooling - my 1Ds Mk II needs a back up, or rather, wants to take a break ... bring out the new big brother, please ...
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Danijela D. Karic

1DMkIII
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:54:24 pm »

I'm drooling - my 1Ds Mk II needs a back up, or rather, wants to take a break ... bring out the new big brother, please ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I totally agree.

Regards
Danijela

Marsupilami

1DMkIII
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 02:36:19 am »

Great camera for press and sports shooter.

But live view with a fixed screen in the body is a plain foolish.

Shaula

• http://
1DMkIII
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 02:58:03 am »

Not necessarily, as macro or astrophotography can both use this feature.  (if 1DIII users do that kind of photography...)

But for other purposes, I can't really see the need, either.  Particularly considering that it can only be used in manual focus mode.  If you are at the point where you are holding your camera up over your head in an attempt to get an "over the crowd" shot, it seems like you'd have more luck letting it autofocus and taking your chances than you would be if you were trying to use the live preview.  I don't know, though, maybe using autofocus in that instance is a total crapshoot as well.

Khun_K

• http://
1DMkIII
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 05:38:17 am »

Not necessarily, as macro or astrophotography can both use this feature.  (if 1DIII users do that kind of photography...)

But for other purposes, I can't really see the need, either.  Particularly considering that it can only be used in manual focus mode.  If you are at the point where you are holding your camera up over your head in an attempt to get an "over the crowd" shot, it seems like you'd have more luck letting it autofocus and taking your chances than you would be if you were trying to use the live preview.  I don't know, though, maybe using autofocus in that instance is a total crapshoot as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think it is fair to say a company, Canon or whoever it is, introduce a feature for people to use it creatively, rather than deliver a "creative feature" and use it as instructed.
There is no camera perfect for everyone, and customer make their own decision to buy or not for feature here and there, and use the feature at their own disposal.

X-Re

1DMkIII
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:01:48 am »

If I read correctly, Live View also works tethered or with wireless. So, you can put the camera in a remote location, and view the live picture, say, on your laptop or something.... Seems like someone would find that useful...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:02:36 am by X-Re »
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

Concorde-SST

1DMkIII
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 09:32:10 am »

The new camera´s features sound cool, but does Live Preview
means having a live Histogram too?? This would really be the
unique selling point for this camera (I´m aware many other
cams have this, but not a 1s-Canon!)

ciao,

Andreas.

jani

• Øyet
1DMkIII
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 10:36:31 am »

The new camera´s features sound cool, but does Live Preview
means having a live Histogram too?? This would really be the
unique selling point for this camera (I´m aware many other
cams have this, but not a 1s-Canon!)
See this post.
Jan

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
1DMkIII
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 12:58:21 pm »

This bodes well for the upcoming 1DsIII. Think about it like this, this camera is sure to have bugs given the nature of technology, so firmware should be readily available to fix most issues by the time 1DsIII is released (or readily available).

The price will come down by a grand (me thinks).

That 3'' lcd sure looks nice and would definitely come in handy. Hopefully it will have a hefty pixel count to go with it.

Look how much cleaner the cam looks. There are a lot of buttons gone this go round and apparently there will be better useability (read: no more 2 button pressing). Thankfully they kept the vertical grip. Hopefully they've shaved a few ounces of weight off--while keeping the battery life as good as has been.

I imagine the software to also benefit from some advances. The upgraded wifi looks to hint at that (it doesn't look like it fits current generations--too bad if that's the case). I hope that it's much easier to setup (one of the reasons I never jumped on the original bandwagon).

14bits is a welcome surprise. We all wanted more bits but who knew we'd actually get them.

I really like my 1DsII. My concern are the lenses. Outside of the 85 1.2 there aren't a lot of Canon lenses that will do the resolution justice and if the update to the 85 and the new 50 1.2 is any indication--the new lenses that they will introduce will cost a boat load of money. Because in order to take advantage of those extra MPs, we'll have to trade/ buy better lenses to go with the 1DsIII.

Oh well. I still want one.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
1DMkIII
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 03:52:05 pm »

I really like my 1DsII. My concern are the lenses. Outside of the 85 1.2 there aren't a lot of Canon lenses that will do the resolution justice and if the update to the 85 and the new 50 1.2 is any indication--the new lenses that they will introduce will cost a boat load of money. Because in order to take advantage of those extra MPs, we'll have to trade/ buy better lenses to go with the 1DsIII.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I started doing that a long time ago .
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
1DMkIII
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 03:24:22 am »

If I read correctly, Live View also works tethered or with wireless. So, you can put the camera in a remote location, and view the live picture, say, on your laptop or something.... Seems like someone would find that useful...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a demo/play with one today at Canon and all I can say is WOW, the live preview/screen/wifi stuff is amazing, I can think of a lot of situations where it would be awesome..

You can check any part of an image at 100% with one button press, and the new menus look well thought out.

The battery size/weight is also a big leap forward, I hear 2200 shots from one weighing half what the old ones did.

They also said something about the camera making web pages for proofing, but not being a very good geek I glossed over until they moved to the new 16-35, I only had a quick look at it through one of my cameras and it looks like it has a bit less distortion at 16mm..

I was not allowed to take any shots because both the camera and lens were pre-production.

Ect.Ect.Ect..

I'm not going to get one as I'm waiting for the new 1DS III ( or whatever it is ), but it's all heading in a great direction if you ask me...

macgyver

1DMkIII
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:59 pm »

Not necessarily, as macro or astrophotography can both use this feature.  (if 1DIII users do that kind of photography...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is anyone else sick of that sort of thinking?  That apparently this camera, and ones like it, are only good for one type of photography?  Accodring to most of the posts on this fourm the only people who will want this camera are PJs and sportsshooters.  Nevermind that there might be folks who would want it for reasons other than 10 frames a second.  I would venture that people should stop thinking of this as a totally different beast than the forthcoming 1Ds III or whatever it is and as exactly the same or very similar camera, just with a faster frame rate and smaller sensor.  I can't imagine the Ds will be that different, the current 1Ds MkII isnt that much different that the MKIIN.

Unless they go totally outside of the box (the new lens mount and MF rumors and the like) I am willing to bet that this is what you are going to get, more or less.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:30:06 pm by macgyver »

wilburdl

1DMkIII
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 11:03:43 pm »

Is anyone else sick of that sort of thinking?  That apparently this camera, and ones like it, are only good for one type of photography?  Accodring to most of the posts on this fourm the only people who will want this camera are PJs and sportsshooters.  Nevermind that there might be folks who would want it for reasons other than 10 frames a second.  I would venture that people should stop thinking of this as a totally different beast than the forthcoming 1Ds III or whatever it is and as exactly the same or very similar camera, just with a faster frame rate and smaller sensor.  I can't imagine the Ds will be that different, the current 1Ds MkII isnt that much different that the MKIIN.

Unless they go totally outside of the box (the new lens mount and MF rumors and the like) I am willing to bet that this is what you are going to get, more or less.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, when you get into niches you're bound to need a specific type of camera. At 10MP, I think there will be more people interested in this camera beyond sports shooters and PJs (not to mention wedding and event folks), but there are still others who want/need those extra MPs that come along with the 1Ds version of the 1-series. Commercial and editorial (magazine) for instance.
I'll agree with you that these two cameras aren't that dissimilar but what does seperate them is enough to warrent not combining the two into one camera (as of yet).
Darnell

BJL

1DMkIII
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 11:23:22 am »

... there are still others who want/need those extra MPs that come along with the 1Ds version of the 1-series. Commercial and editorial (magazine) for instance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you know the requirements of magazine printing for "camera pixels per inch on the page"? (Not DPI, or PPI after up-ressing.) What I have seen and heard suggests that 200PPI will already do quite well for magazines, 240PPI is even safer and 300PPI is probably more than needed, and at that, the 1DMKIII given image sizes of about 13"x19", 11"x16" and 9"x13" respectively.

Anyway, the main point is not to deny that some photography needs more resolution than the 1DMkIII offers: it is that the 1DMkIII will probably be a better price/performance choice than the 1Ds series for many photographic areas unrelated to its high frame rates (or good high ISO performance.)

wilburdl

1DMkIII
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 03:59:55 pm »

Do you know the requirements of magazine printing for "camera pixels per inch on the page"? (Not DPI, or PPI after up-ressing.) What I have seen and heard suggests that 200PPI will already do quite well for magazines, 240PPI is even safer and 300PPI is probably more than needed, and at that, the 1DMKIII given image sizes of about 13"x19", 11"x16" and 9"x13" respectively.
Anyway, the main point is not to deny that some photography needs more resolution than the 1DMkIII offers: it is that the 1DMkIII will probably be a better price/performance choice than the 1Ds series for many photographic areas unrelated to its high frame rates (or good high ISO performance.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do agree with you on the price point and task. But I shoot editorial and know that the 1DsII is sually preferred. Regardless of the digital footprint. Bigger will always be better--especially when you don't have control over the final crop.
Darnell

BJL

1DMkIII
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 01:24:58 pm »

But I shoot editorial and know that the 1DsII is sually preferred. ... Bigger will always be better[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Preferred to what? The 1DMkIII has not been one of the alternatives so far.

I can see that when substantial cropping might be needed, 16MP has advantages over 10MP, but I was thinking about pixels counts needed on the final image for printing: surely plenty of published images are correctly framed in the camera and do not need "corrective cropping"!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up