Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa 12SWA  (Read 29362 times)

Tomas Johanson

Alpa 12SWA
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:05:43 pm »

Could it  be possible to shift a digital back in right and left direction on an Alpa 12 with an custom made adapter? The camera itself is built for larger format than the modern digital backs. But maybee the construction is to tight build.

Khun_K

• http://
Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:49 pm »

Could it  be possible to shift a digital back in right and left direction on an Alpa 12 with an custom made adapter? The camera itself is built for larger format than the modern digital backs. But maybee the construction is to tight build.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You can mount the DB on the front of SWA12 and lens on the back, turn the camera 90 degree, this way you may achieve some degree of left-right shift for stitch.  I am using a P45 of Contax fitting and can do this by switching the mounting plate. However, since the back of SWA12 is flat, you can rotate the DB on the back, when mounting on front, you can only mount horizontally. So you are not able to get a panoramic picture, in stead, you can get a stitched shot that is closer to square.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:08:14 pm »

What I would like is a smaller version of the Alpa XY.
If you intend on using only Rodenstock HR lenses,like me,the shift that the XY allows is overkill!

30mm front and back would be great!

Cheers.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:08:23 pm »

Could it  be possible to shift a digital back in right and left direction on an Alpa 12 with an custom made adapter? The camera itself is built for larger format than the modern digital backs. But maybee the construction is to tight build.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Tomas,

I am in much/less the same position and I tried to see if anybody had any solution or perhaps Digital Sliding Back will simply do it. After a while I found out there is nothing for 12SWA that will shift the Digital Back. So, you definitely need a sliding adapter to do the proper job, but the ALPA 12SWA is so small and light camera for that anyways. Personally, I always prefer to refer to it as Leica of Medium Format.

However, I am looking to also purchase the bigger version of ALPA, XY model and there you have more then plenty of possibilities. I asked Kapture Group about making the sliding adapter for me and they are happy to make one including the Quad-stitch sliding adapter that I believe is a very good idea but not entirely ready with regards to performance on every camera out there. So basically on some camera works less then satisfactory and on some perfect.

I am waiting for my Cameras, so until then I can't say more.

Regards
Danijela
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:08:44 pm by Danijela D. Karic »

rethmeier

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:23:43 pm »

I have been in contact with Alpa,regarding a sliding back.
They were advising against it ,because of the strict tolerances that are involved.
Especially with the extreme wides.

You can't see much on a standard ground glass + you need a fresnel.
Hence the HR lenses are better,because they are faster.

It's depending a lot on your shooting style.

Personally I'm hoping that this Live Video will work out.

All we need is a sexy 10 inch MacBook Pro.

Danijela,
have you looked at the Arca Swiss R line?

I'm looking at that at the moment as well.

Regards,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:37:05 pm »

Danijela,
have you looked at the Arca Swiss R line?

I'm looking at that at the moment as well.

Regards,
Willem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi William,

I did look at the Arca Swiss R line, but they don't take ALPA
Lenses and you know that I prefer to have Leica like camera
that fits Digital LF lenses.

So with ALPA 12SWA & ALPA XY: I can't go wrong, simply
because to me it's like having Leica & Ebony related to each other
and both using the same ultra fine LF Digital Lenses.

Regards
Danijela

rethmeier

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:44:03 pm »

Doesn't Arca allow Schneider and Rodenstock?
Or do you want to use dedicated Alpa mounted lenses?
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:03:56 pm »

Doesn't Arca allow Schneider and Rodenstock?
Or do you want to use dedicated Alpa mounted lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Of course Arca allows Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, but my point
across was that I prefer to have Leica like camera option that fits Digital LF lenses that you could walk with if need be. I don't believe Arca gives me that option. I will quote my self below:

because to me it's like [span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']having [/span][span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']Leica & Ebony related to each other
and both using the same ultra fine LF Digital Lenses[/span].
More mobile & convinient for me, that's all.

Regards
Danijela
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:04:56 pm by Danijela D. Karic »

rethmeier

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:55 pm »

Point taken!
And it does makes sense!
I'm glad you have deep pockets like me!  
Regards,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:43:53 pm »

Hi William,

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Danijela

Have you looked at the Cambo Wide Compact(Leica digital solution)?
the shutter release is like a 35mm integrated in the hand grip..unfortunately the current model camera has no movement. The LF digital lenses also fit the Cambo WDS ( handholdable Ebony solution) and you can also shoot 4x5 film with the appropriate lenses.
But as you say with an Alpa you can't wrong.......the XY is bigger and more expensive but you have the option of shooting 120 film on both with the right lenses.

Khun_K

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 08:22:46 pm »

Danijela

the shutter release is like a 35mm integrated in the hand grip..unfortunately the current model camera has no movement. The LF digital lenses also fit the Cambo WDS ( handholdable Ebony solution) and you can also shoot 4x5 film with the appropriate lenses.
But as you say with an Alpa you can't wrong.......the XY is bigger and more expensive but you have the option of shooting 120 film on both with the right lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Few years ago Alpa did have the sliding back platform, usnig Alpa lens of course, but not on WA body. I think the WA or SWA allow only 6X9 which was why at that time Alpa built another module for the sliding/stitching mechanism, and now they offer XY.  I have tried to have my dealer to build the special sliding mechanism for me, I can't make it on Alpa SWA12, but I did have a working prototype to have Phase One back to work with my Linhof 6X12 leses, which is a sliding mechanism in itself, with a lens mount duplicated from Linhof.  I think eventually everyone can build a sliding back to use Alpa lens but then it's a question of achieving Alpa XY quality so may be simply bying XY is easier.  Horseman SW-D2 is also a good choice, with all the wide angle lenses (24mm Digitar, 28mm HRD and 35mm Digitar) and sliding mechanism, works with multiple backs with adaptors.

eveS

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:25 pm »

Hi William,

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Danijela,
IMHO you are so correct and on the right track: You can't go wrong with ALPA. I've owned an ALPA 12SWA for more than a year and I plan on purchasing the ALPA XY for many of the same reasons you delineate. Let me add another reason: No matter where you've purchased your equipment, the people at ALPA personally stand by their products and take pride in their products. I'm a "gearhead" with an engineering background and really appreciate a beautifully conceived and delivered product.

I too often refer to the ALPA + Phase One back as a medium format version of the Leica M. Except with the ALPA combination I have medium format quality with the ease of use like the Leica.

BTW: I don't work, or own stock in the company. . . .just my 2 cents  

Best of luck to you,
eveS

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 01:10:33 am »

Danijela

the shutter release is like a 35mm integrated in the hand grip..unfortunately the current model camera has no movement.
I have to admit I didn’t pay any attention to Cambo Wide Compact because just from
A distance it looked a bit more robust than ALPA 12 SWA and with ALPA 12 SWA the moment I tried it I new that was it, even though I have to do my home work later. Now, my home work is done and I know that I can’t go wrong with ALPA.

ALPA simply offers more flexible models I guess, for example: If I wanted to go really small without any movement I could even go smaller than ALPA 12 SWA and still be more practical and more mobile. Actually ALPA 12 TC  is so small that it can easily fit in my New Year's purse, and I can still use the same LF digital lenses.

[span style=\'font-size:12pt;line-height:100%\']DIGITAL BACK is my problem, which one?[/span]

Other then that, I can’t go wrong with ALPA, period. If I buy ALPA XY and ALPA 12 SWA I asked if I deserve to receive a gift or discount, they asked if I had any Idea? and I just said an ALPA 12 TC , so what more could I ask?

I never ever do anything irrationally. So, again my home work is done.

WAITING FOR DELIVERY is next step.

Perhaps it is expensive and it’s not for everyone, but considering what is out there,
I know I am going to be more then just fine.

Regards
Danijela

Khun_K

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 01:50:23 am »

I have to admit I didn’t pay any attention to Cambo Wide Compact because just from
A distance it looked a bit more robust than ALPA 12 SWA and with ALPA 12 SWA the moment I tried it I new that was it, even though I have to do my home work later. Now, my home work is done and I know that I can’t go wrong with ALPA.

ALPA simply offers more flexible models I guess, for example: If I wanted to go really small without any movement I could even go smaller than ALPA 12 SWA and still be more practical and more mobile. Actually ALPA 12 TC  is so small that it can easily fit in my New Year's purse, and I can still use the same LF digital lenses.

[span style=\'font-size:12pt;line-height:100%\']DIGITAL BACK is my problem, which one?[/span]

Other then that, I can’t go wrong with ALPA, period. If I buy ALPA XY and ALPA 12 SWA I asked if I deserve to receive a gift or discount, they asked if I had any Idea? and I just said an ALPA 12 TC , so what more could I ask?

I never ever do anything irrationally. So, again my home work is done.

WAITING FOR DELIVERY is next step.
Perhaps it is expensive and it’s not for everyone, but considering what is out there,
I know I am going to be more then just fine.

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Alpa 12TC is not only more compact, it is in fact more versatile. 12TC allow more accessory shoe so adding a small flash, radio slave and so on more conveniently than the bigger SW12 or SWA12. I somehow wish XY will have its smaller brother avaialble, not as big.

Tomas Johanson

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:40 am »

You can mount the DB on the front of SWA12 and lens on the back, turn the camera 90 degree, this way you may achieve some degree of left-right shift for stitch.  I am using a P45 of Contax fitting and can do this by switching the mounting plate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I´ve got this demonstrated at Photokina last year and it helps in some situations. My idea is to use the front to shift up and the back to shift left and right.

What I would like is a smaller version of the Alpa XY.
If you intend on using only Rodenstock HR lenses,like me,the shift that the XY allows is overkill!

30mm front and back would be great!

Cheers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here, XY is just more than I need. I like to travel light. (Perhaps not so light sometimes!)

I have been in contact with Alpa,regarding a sliding back.
They were advising against it ,because of the strict tolerances that are involved.
Especially with the extreme wides.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This means it can be done!

Of course it´s fine with strict tolerances but in the other end they talk about guestimation for focus control. It´s two different things, I know, but a little funny!

Tomas Johanson

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 05:04:06 am »

Hi Tomas,

I am in much/less the same position and I tried to see if anybody had any solution or perhaps Digital Sliding Back will simply do it. After a while I found out there is nothing for 12SWA that will shift the Digital Back. So, you definitely need a sliding adapter to do the proper job, but the ALPA 12SWA is so small and light camera for that anyways. Personally, I always prefer to refer to it as Leica of Medium Format.

However, I am looking to also purchase the bigger version of ALPA, XY model and there you have more then plenty of possibilities. I asked Kapture Group about making the sliding adapter for me and they are happy to make one including the Quad-stitch sliding adapter that I believe is a very good idea but not entirely ready with regards to performance on every camera out there. So basically on some camera works less then satisfactory and on some perfect.

I am waiting for my Cameras, so until then I can't say more.

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Danijela,

I think I will buy an Alpa 12SWA, I just like the camera, but I dont´t want to have more cameras than necessary.

XY is overkill for me so if I can put some XY function in Alpa 12 I will be happy and this seems to be possible. A local friend have made adapters for my Roundshot so I think he can make one for Alpa.

Regard,
Tomas

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 05:19:27 am »

Alpa 12TC is not only more compact, it is in fact more versatile. 12TC allow more accessory shoe so adding a small flash, radio slave and so on more conveniently than the bigger SW12 or SWA12.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Even better then I thought, I guess more anticipation until I receive the equipment.

I somehow wish XY will have its smaller brother avaialble, not as big.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You mean younger sister?

Regards
Danijela

Khun_K

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 05:27:41 am »

Even better then I thought, I guess more anticipation until I receive the equipment.
You mean younger sister?

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Or perhaps a baby XY?

Danijela D. Karic

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 05:45:20 am »

Hi Danijela,

I think I will buy an Alpa 12SWA, I just like the camera, but I dont´t want to have more cameras than necessary. XY is overkill for me so if I can put some XY function in Alpa 12 I will be happy and this seems to be possible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree, take your time, especially because XY will always be there if you change your mind. I have been trying to find the proper adapters through several sources but I failed. So, as far as I am concerned both 12 SWA & XY have there own advantages & with both of them in my corner I am not the one to worry. Therefore, I already decided I will buy both, because even if there was 100% adequate adapter for it, it won’t come cheap, so we will see.

I must admit, I asked them about the gift or discount also, and when they asked me what do I have in mind? I said ALPA 12 TC, it would be a shame to disappoint them, especially if they say yes.  

A local friend have made adapters for my Roundshot so I think he can make one for Alpa.
 [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is your friend working for Seitz? if not comfortable, you can PM.

Regards
Danijela
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:00:23 am by Danijela D. Karic »

Tomas Johanson

Alpa 12SWA
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 07:28:37 am »

I agree, take your time, especially because XY will always be there if you change your mind. I have been trying to find the proper adapters through several sources but I failed.

Is your friend working for Seitz? if not comfortable, you can PM.

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, at that time he was selfemployeed in his own little company. Today he work as an employee at a mechanical firm here in Sweden. They have to much to do so the question are if he have time for this!

When I bought my Roundshot220VR, Seitz own lens adapters was just for Leica and Nikon. I already had fine Contax lenses so the way to go was to make an adapter for my lenses.
Nowdays Seitz have own Contax adapters!

The picture shows the adapter for Contax and a shift adapter for Hasselblad (it uses a standard extension tube).
It´s proffessional done and works perfect.

I shall discuss the shift adapter problem with him.

Regards,
Tomas
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:05:41 am by Tomas »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up