Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another LCD calibration question  (Read 2017 times)

cbeam2

Another LCD calibration question
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:15:42 am »

I have a Viewsonic (VX2235wm) 22' monitor. My is problem seems to be tipical, prints from the lab are much darker than what I see. I have calibrated it with a Monico XR with no luck. I even tried turning down the brightness after calibration to get it to display what I see on prints but it just doesn't work.

There has got to be something I can do to help. I'm stuck with this monitor so I need a solution.

Chuck

Serge Cashman

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:30:23 pm »

It could be a matter of converting the image to the profile the lab gives you. Do they provide their printer profiles or any special instructions? Some labs just expect sRGB. For some you need to convert images to their printer profile and instruct them not to use color management.

cbeam2

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:59:41 pm »

The profile they provide is for soft proofing only and they do no corrections (this is an album company that does a print and bind service). When I apply the profile in PS it still doesn't look near as dark as the test prints they sent.

Chuck

It could be a matter of converting the image to the profile the lab gives you. Do they provide their printer profiles or any special instructions? Some labs just expect sRGB. For some you need to convert images to their printer profile and instruct them not to use color management.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102235\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Serge Cashman

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:42:44 pm »

I actually have dealt with a company that would provide me with a profile but then tell me to send the files as sRGB. And they use a bunch of different printers. Which is to say there was no point giving me the profile in the first place.

I would send them 2 test prints (one converted to their printer  profile and one converted to sRGB) and see what you get. And perhaps a couple of other files with different conversion settings (you can always add some text to tell the prints apart). In my case (I used exposuremanager.com) the sRGB came out reasonably good.

The monitor profile is mostly for you to be sure you're actually seeing what you're seeing.  As long as you are using colormanaged applications like Photoshop (properly configured) to look at the images.

Don't change the monitor settings after calibration and if you do - recalibrate. Or rather re-proifile - skip the brightness/contrast and manual RGB adjustments.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:49:55 pm by Serge Cashman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up