Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print mounting  (Read 2177 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Print mounting
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:02:13 am »

I’ve got to display some inkjet prints matted, but not framed, around 14” x 10”.
I’m expecting to stick the prints onto the mounts with spray mount. Then over matte with a beveled window matte. What do people recommend as a reliable easy way to stick window mattes to mount boards ?
Spray mount ? or would double sided adhesive tape be easier to manage ?

Archival performance isn’t particularly important in this case, as the prints will only be displayed for a short time, but appearance is.

Thanks for any suggestions

Paul

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Print mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:21:41 am »

Double sided tape would be easiest. I recommend the ATG tape gun available at most framing supply houses. They make two kinds of ATG tape, non-archival and the ATG Gold which is. I would use the Gold if you ever decide to sell your work.

A lot of people use hinging tape to hinge the top of the window matte to the mounting board so that it simply flips up and down. It is considered the "museum way" to do it.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Print mounting
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:26:49 pm »

Thanks Jim.

I've got some double sided tape now and it seems to be going quite well.

Paul

framah

Print mounting
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:20 pm »

The only adhesive that is archival is to use rice paste and mulberry paper for hinges.  ALL of the other stuff out there that has a chemical adherent and a chemical carrier which is what sprays and ATGs are, are not archival!!!

No matter what the manufacturer is trying to tell you the chances are that they're only stating that their adhesive is PH neutral and passing that off as archival,  which is a far cry from actually being archival. For putting the mats into place, the ATG is fine as you have said they aren't for longevity.

As the pieces aren't going into a frame, then you will need to stick the mat down instead of hinging it.

Try to avoid spray adhesives as that is a messy way to do it. It will get on everything and possibly onto the front of the image whether you want it or not.

Actually, a better way for you is a product out there that is a piece of foamcore that has an adhesive already on it and a cover sheet to protect it.  Thisway, you can cut a piece of this fc to a size larger than the overall size of the mat, stick the photo down and burnish it in place, then just stick the mat down, and then trim the fc to the edge of the mat and you are done!!

Quick and easier than sprays and such.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up