Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Popular Gritty look technique?  (Read 5916 times)

SeanBK

Popular Gritty look technique?
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:39 am »

I have been doing the typical PS technique, but my final look is not coming out as good as what I see being done,.. a little darker (but not underexposed), a more dark brown (expresso), with a hint of added selected noise. The look you might find on the cover of ESPN the magazine. It is usually best used for athletes.
     Any suggestions where I might find the tutorial/technique explained?
  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:47:17 am by SeanBK »

J_Fulks

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 11:34:59 am »

Are you talking about the Dragan technique? Dragan's website

SeanBK

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:42:46 pm »

Thanks for replying. I have seen Andreas' site and do admire his work. Though I would love to know his technique too, but this time I was looking for somewhat similar techniques that is used for Pro athletes. Though Dragan's technique, could be mellowed out for my purposes too. So in other words if you can share his technique that would be helpful to.

andybuk99

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:12:11 pm »

If you do a search on pro dig you will find lots of references to the technique.

Pete JF

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:00:04 pm »

Sean,

Try and find some links to examples of the style you are talking about. I'd be curious to see what you are referring to.

akclimber

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:50 pm »

I have been doing the typical PS technique, but my final look is not coming out as good as what I see being done,.. a little darker (but not underexposed), a more dark brown (expresso), with a hint of added selected noise. The look you might find on the cover of ESPN the magazine. It is usually best used for athletes.
     Any suggestions where I might find the tutorial/technique explained?
  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried this technique?  (video tutorial by Dave Cross)

[a href=\"http://www.planetphotoshop.com/gritty-photo-effect.html]http://www.planetphotoshop.com/gritty-photo-effect.html[/url]

Cheers!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:13:01 pm »

Without examples it's hard to tell what you mean. The dragan technique is popular - to the point of being so overused that it has become a cliche in the past year or so. If you still insist on trying it, google for draganizer, it's a free action set for PS.

J_Fulks

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:29 am »

If you still insist on trying it, google for draganizer, it's a free action set for PS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you can't accomplish dragan's style with a PS action...at least, I haven't seen one yet that can come close. In any case, I think Sean is looking for a different technique.

Can you show us an example of the style you're talking about, Sean?

J.

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 06:16:34 am »

I agree, without the Image example it's hard to imagine what exactly you’re after.

I believe James Russell did some sport shots ESPN like. I am not sure if that is satisfactory, but if it is, you could try and ask him personally here on LL, his is very confident and he will not put you off track.

Regards
Danijela

SeanBK

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:40:06 pm »

Thanks, I am looking for the image that I can borrow (so I can post it here), without getting into trouble.
 http://www.paulkopeikingallery.com/artists...times/index.htm

This not exactly what I was describing in the original post but this also uses technique that can modified (darkened) to use for the athletes photos. Though this is also style I love, with appropriate use of mute button.
  Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am getting closer to the answer I am looking for.

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 01:55:17 am »

Thanks, I am looking for the image that I can borrow (so I can post it here), without getting into trouble.

This not exactly what I was describing in the original post but this also uses technique that can modified (darkened) to use for the athletes photos. Though this is also style I love, with appropriate use of mute button.
  Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am getting closer to the answer I am looking for.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I new you would like Jill Greenberg, somebody ask about similar processing here on LL and I actually suggested her and of course they find her amazing. But here we are talking more about the Top Retoucher/Photographer and her know-how doesn't come published in books, it is her trade. However, James is in my opinion first Photographer and I still believe you should ask him first, ceartinly his work doesn't need Mute Button. Forget Jill Greenberg for the moment she is EXTREME PERFECTIONIST.

She is still using Mamiya RZ67 & US 64,000.00 ICG 380 Scanner, she is working with huge files & detail that you can't even appreciate on your screen looking at JPEGs. Again, in my opinion you are better of asking James about the process, he is very confident and sounds willing to help.

Perhaps, this is not ideal answer or something fundamentally helpful, but it is the truth.

I hope others can offer more assistance.

Regards
Danijela

orangekay

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 06:01:21 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think "dark" or "gritty" are words I'd use to describe her work at all, and I'd say most of it is the result of careful lighting followed by some good old fashioned painting skill to emphasize contours. Either way, not something you can quantify and package in an action or recipe--you either have the chops or you don't.

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 03:54:24 pm »

I don't think "dark" or "gritty" are words I'd use to describe her work at all, and I'd say most of it is the result of careful lighting followed by some good old fashioned painting skill to emphasize contours. Either way, not something you can quantify and package in an action or recipe--you either have the chops or you don't.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.

Regards
Danijela
Pages: [1]   Go Up