Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom.. I'm so disappointed  (Read 5282 times)

mark*b

Lightroom.. I'm so disappointed
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:17:11 pm »

I was really hoping LR would be a revelation. Quick loupe viewing, light table,  lots of good adjustments, great meta data info etc. But after a frustrating couple of hours I'm left wondering why I would delete $200 from my bank account for Lightroom.

I'm currently using Capture One Pro which I find satisfactory. I know it doesn't have some of the features of LR but I've never felt the need to create a static PDF "slide show" or a budget looking web page. I don't run an image library yet I do create about 2TB of images a year. I find a simple folder system is really all I need to organise my images. Each to their own I guess.

What's more disappointing is the folder structure. Particularly when trashing images. This is the beauty of C1, if you delete an image it goes into C1's own trash folder, you can then easily search through these and grab something out if you need it. Incredibly useful on a large edit when you accidentally delete something. When the shoot is delivered I can then delete the trash and raws leaving only my processed tiffs to save file space. Or I can keep the raws and processed tiffs (in folders that C1 has created for me) if I decide to work on them at a later date. I couldn't see how LR does anything similar without a long winded work-around.

The UI is so small that I struggle to get the mouse on the sliders and read some of the numbers. I have a 30" cinema display so I know it can make fonts look small but LR is a step beyond, It looks like they've used 6 point type. I guess this is handy on 12" laptop but at the other end of the spectrum it's just bad. And what's the squiggly design thing.... Is that really necessary on a professional image editing program.

I know the basic "developer" is slightly bigger but the controls are very basic. Oh, what is "Vibrance?" Is basic colour saturation just too advanced for most users?

Is it just me that finds the Develop module a little too control heavy. I can't remember ever looking at an image and thinking, yep, I just need to adjust the aqua-luminace and push the split-toning-shadow-saturation a tad.

I would love LR to work with a similar folder structure to C1, to be able to customize the UI particularly when it comes to its visual size and perhaps create a fluid Flash slide show that could be edited with Flash as well. If any of this is easily done please let me know.

Phuong

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »

i am willing to buy it from you if transfering licence is possible.

sbressler

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:52 pm »

What's more disappointing is the folder structure. Particularly when trashing images. This is the beauty of C1, if you delete an image it goes into C1's own trash folder, you can then easily search through these and grab something out if you need it. Incredibly useful on a large edit when you accidentally delete something. When the shoot is delivered I can then delete the trash and raws leaving only my processed tiffs to save file space. Or I can keep the raws and processed tiffs (in folders that C1 has created for me) if I decide to work on them at a later date. I couldn't see how LR does anything similar without a long winded work-around.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rejecting images accomplishes the exact same thing.

Why wouldn't you get the trial version before buying it if there's any chance that you might not like it?

-Scott

Kuryan Thomas

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:52:42 pm »

The font size can be increased in the Preferences pane. There are two choices - small and large.

The squiggly design can also be turned off, also on Preferences ("Panel End Mark" - set to None).

Many of your questions - e.g., "What is Vibrance?" - are answered by most introductory tutorials and videos. See, for example the NAPP Lightroom tutorials. (Warning: video will begin playing when you load the page.)

Finally, any of the controls in Library or Develop can be hidden. Right-click (Control-Click on a one-button Mac) in the left or right panels in these modules. You can choose which controls you want to show/hide. I typically keep "Camera Calibration" hidden.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:01:18 pm by Kuryan Thomas »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 02:09:11 pm »

I was really hoping LR would be a revelation. Quick loupe viewing, light table,  lots of good adjustments, great meta data info etc. But after a frustrating couple of hours I'm left wondering why I would delete $200 from my bank account for Lightroom.

I'm currently using Capture One Pro which I find satisfactory. I know it doesn't have some of the features of LR but I've never felt the need to create a static PDF "slide show" or a budget looking web page. I don't run an image library yet I do create about 2TB of images a year. I find a simple folder system is really all I need to organise my images. Each to their own I guess.

The UI is so small that I struggle to get the mouse on the sliders and read some of the numbers. I have a 30" cinema display so I know it can make fonts look small but LR is a step beyond, It looks like they've used 6 point type. I guess this is handy on 12" laptop but at the other end of the spectrum it's just bad. And what's the squiggly design thing.... Is that really necessary on a professional image editing program.

I know the basic "developer" is slightly bigger but the controls are very basic. Oh, what is "Vibrance?" Is basic colour saturation just too advanced for most users?

Is it just me that finds the Develop module a little too control heavy. I can't remember ever looking at an image and thinking, yep, I just need to adjust the aqua-luminace and push the split-toning-shadow-saturation a tad.

I would love LR to work with a similar folder structure to C1, to be able to customize the UI particularly when it comes to its visual size and perhaps create a fluid Flash slide show that could be edited with Flash as well. If any of this is easily done please let me know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i have been using C1 for years with my canons and phase backs, so most of my files are in the C1 folder structure...LR works beautifully with it....oyu have to remember that it is that structure that turns most people off c1 in the first place! C1 creates huge previews (LR is much more efficient in that aspect...)
most of the things you are complaining about can be turned off in prefs....
i actually prefer the color controls in LR to the coloreditor in C1...the little sliders that can be placed on the image are genius....
as far as tonal controls go (same little sliders!!!!) LR is lightyears ahead of C1...the curves (with the tones mapped in), fill light, recover,....
sharpening is much more controlable (i have never had a shot in C1 that could handle anything but the absolute minimum of the settings...)
and we haven't even touched editing, comparing, virtual copies, printing!!!!!, spot/healing, and all this in V1....
plus the fact that i can have my entire library with me at all times....
c1v4 will be out soon and i am sure it will be an improvement...the layover feature is nice, live-preview does not do anything for me....either way i still have to go through C1 to shoot tethered anyway.....
do yourself a favor, really check LR out....i think you will get hooked...

James DeMoss

• http://jbdemossphotography.com/aboutus.aspx
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:53 pm »

Mark,

It is sad that you are disappointed with LR. But it is not Photoshop but it is meant as a companion to Photoshop at this stage. I can say my RAW conversions are awesome and consistent. Sure I don't need LR to do this, but it is easier and now a part of my work flow.

Hang in there, we will all help  

__

James
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:54:45 pm by James DeMoss »

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:35:11 pm »

This anonymous fellow registers here and, for his first post he rants about his "disappointment" with Lightroom?!  He clearly spent very little effort to learn it.  In fact he may have spent more time writing his rant.  Comparing it to C1 is most revealing.  But, that aside, what the hell?  Lots of class.

No, at least from my seat, we won't "...all help you". Help yourself or stick with C1. Sorry to be so abrupt but I find this "style" lazy and just sad.
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:07:11 am »

Love lightroom....but it cost me actually 700 bucks...I was dumb enough to buy aperture before it came out...they didn't provide a beta test..and if we are talking about amatuer software...aperture is the one!!

Lightroom is not necessary, but it does a GREAT job color correcting images is much easier and faster than doing so in C1 and less of a learning curve! But to each it's own.

I can only imagine how lightroom will perform after a couple of updates...because it seems that adobe actually listens to it's users!

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:54:53 pm »

So far in my hands, I get a smoother conversion in C1 while my LR conversions tend to have more noise. The quality of the shadows looks better in C1 to me as well. For all conversions I have no noise reduction on and no sharpening. I am using a 1DsII.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1]   Go Up