Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO and Lightroom  (Read 5010 times)

Recked

DxO and Lightroom
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:21 pm »

Hello,

I have been using DxO Optics for a short while now and am liking what I see for the most part, but I wanted/intended to include Lightroom into the workflow as the Dam. DxO suggests that their app be the first to work a Raw file so I am confused on how to use Lightroom and DxO together.

Are there any DxO users out there who are also using Lightroom?

Thanks

Richard Marcellus

DxO and Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »

I have used DXO on and off, but I find my workflow to be quite slow when I am working with Optics Pro. I am not very happy with the way the software is setup. I am now using Lightroom for raw processing, and I finish off my best shots in LightZone and Photoshop. For images that need optical corrections, I'll be using the DXO Photoshop plug-in. I prefer NeatImage for noise control (over DXO) and I'll also do that with the PS plug-in when required.

One approach that I used to use was to batch correct my Raw images in DXO and output .dng files, which are in a linear RGB colour space (no gamma correction). I would just set DXO to correct optical defects, and noise automatically and make no other changes beyond the Bayer conversion. I was then opening the .dng files with Adobe ACR to set white and black points, exposure, curves etc. You could use this method then import the corrected .dng files into Lightroom. This does cause your Raw images to become 3x the size though, which is why I have decided to just keep DXO for images that really need distortion corrections.

Richard

Recked

DxO and Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:05:37 pm »

Thanks Richard. Only been using DxO for a short time and forgot it can output to jpeg, tiff and dng and I do like its ability to correct lens faults/issues so perhaps your idea will work though I am considering using Lightroom instead of IDimager for my Dam so I will have to think on this a bit more to come up with a solution that is efficient and not cause any additional work.

Film was soooooooooooooooooooo much easier!!!

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up