Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEWS FLASH on Adobe Lightroom  (Read 11651 times)

digital_light

NEWS FLASH on Adobe Lightroom
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:46:48 pm »

FYI, Lightroom 1.0 has just been made available, a day early!

It looks like it's 22MB to download, http://www.BuyLightroom.com, plus the $100 discount.

After all this waiting it's a big relief because the "Beta" version expires next week!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:48:05 am by digital_light »

ternst

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:40:56 am »

And you can get an additional 15% discount by entering "Macworld07" in the promotional code box if you order direct from the Adobe web page...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:41:23 am by ternst »

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:13:26 pm »

Does Version 1 enable you to use 2 displays??

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:30:13 pm »

Hmm, the boxed version says that it supports both mac/pc platforms. I wonder if the licence allows running on a laptop as well as a main machine as with CS2? Anyone know?
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:51:03 pm »

Yes, it does

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 06:04:09 pm »

And you can get an additional 15% discount by entering "Macworld07" in the promotional code box if you order direct from the Adobe web page...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When in the Adobe store(on-line North America) just now, I got this error messege:

Unfortunately, the product you are attempting to buy is not available in this
store.  Please contact a reseller to purchase the product.We apologize for your inconvience.

I also did not see anything about an additional discount.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

free1000

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:16:49 pm »

Thanks John... I look forward to getting the full copy.
@foliobook

ternst

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:21:23 pm »

"I also did not see anything about an additional discount."

You have to put the code into the "promotional code" box - there is no announcement about it. It sounds like there were other issues that prevented you from getting to that point.

NLund

• http://flickr.com/photos/nsl/
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 03:44:02 am »

ternst, thanks for the head's up about the discount.

i never complain when saving $30 !

Giedo

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 04:55:49 am »

The promotional code 'Macworld07' does not work for me. I'm ordering from The netherlands, maybe this code is US-related...
Giedo

JMCP

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 08:57:29 am »

Hi,

I am in the UK and just attempted to buy Lightroom, I didn't actually go through with it becuase Adobe are charging 21% VAT if you buy the download and 17.5% VAT if you ask for the box to be send to you. I just cannot understand that policy. It only works out at about another £5 but it gets right up my nose. Hopefully when I calm down, I will revisit and buy it as I think Lightroom is an excellent product.

PS. The MACWORLD07 promotion code did not owrk for me eithers so, it does appear to be USA specific

Cheers

free1000

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:55 am »

PS. The MACWORLD07 promotion code did not owrk for me eithers so, it does appear to be USA specific

What irritates me is the overall price in the UK when compared to the US. We are back to the bad old days of the UK/$ rip off.  £125.00 UK translates into $250 which is $50 more even when one does not include VAT or the promotional discount. Buyers in the US are paying £85 ish with the discount which is about 30% less than a buyer in the UK and that doesn't even include the VAT.
@foliobook

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:17 am »

Hi,

I am in the UK and just attempted to buy Lightroom, I didn't actually go through with it becuase Adobe are charging 21% VAT if you buy the download and 17.5% VAT if you ask for the box to be send to you. I just cannot understand that policy. It only works out at about another £5 but it gets right up my nose. Hopefully when I calm down, I will revisit and buy it as I think Lightroom is an excellent product.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm positive it's not an Adobe "policy," but a requirement by UK tax officials. Blame them.

JMCP

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 11:46:01 am »

I'm positive it's not an Adobe "policy," but a requirement by UK tax officials. Blame them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could be but, if it is, I have never heard or seen it before. I have bought a few downloads in the past from companies and they have never charged me 21% VAT before. I think it is more likely they have screwed up somewhere and are charging the VAT rate for another country.

The product works out at £145 if you ask them to send you the box or £151 if you buy the download, its a nonsense whatever the reason is.

Cheers

Noelb

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

Here in Australia, the download cost of Lightroom V.1 is $248 USD. This includes about $28.00 USD tax which goes to the government and the balance is EXTRA profit to Adobe.  If we want a boxed version it is extra again (about $20 USD more).  

As far as I can see, the only reason they charge extra is simply because they can. Even Amazon will only ship to the US so you can't even save a few dollars that way.

It was the same deal when I questioned Adobe Australia about the upgrade price when I bought CS2.  The words they used were something like "It costs more to send you a box" when what they really meant was " Because we can".

Cheers from Downunder

Noelb

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 01:00:23 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ternst
I'm in Canada, got the macworld discount and is installing as I write. $10 and change added tax tho. I've been using beta 4 and printing was problematic the few times I tried it. Mostly been printing from CS. Any printing tips? I have an epson 2200

Pangaea

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 01:18:15 pm »

Even here in the U.S., Amazon.com is now showing a current availability of Lightroom 1.0 as "Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks"!!

Maybe they have gotten more demand than they expected and are way backordered on the shrinkwrapped version??

If you don't need the box and since Amazon is only offering $2 less on price, it may be the fastest option is to download it direct.  That's what I did and it sounds like from the posts on this board that it is available that way in other countries that way too, even if a bit more expensive than the U.S.

(Too bad about the "VAT" though - well at least you guys have better [and cheaper!] health care!)

E_Edwards

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 04:24:11 pm »

I have paid exactly UK 125 for the download which was extremely fast.

No VAT was charged as I am vat registered, (you need to quote your VAT number, which they may or may not check, though I wouldn't fiddle with the VAT people as they could trace you through your credit card details). If that's your case, Adobe will just charge your credit card £125 and issue a receipt for this amount when you download.

The difference in price is not that great. I'm happy to pay this amount for a great program.

Edward

Bob Nicholson

• http://www.airpixuk.com
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 07:58:13 am »

The UK VAT rate is 17.5%, so HOW can they be charging 21%? Report them to  your local VAT office.

Bob

Hi,

Adobe are charging 21% VAT if you buy the download and 17.5% VAT if you ask for the box to be send to you.

Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101885\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Image-electric

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 09:30:01 am »

The UK VAT rate is 17.5%, so HOW can they be charging 21%? Report them to  your local VAT office.

Bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This VAT rate is correct - EU rules for VAT state that the rate local to the download site is the one that should apply. Adobe are located in Eire....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up