Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo mounting  (Read 9600 times)

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:04:31 am »

I will be attaching my printed photos soon for a retail revolving rack in a couple of locations & need advice on the best glue or tape suggestions. I see the little tiny .25 oz glue sticks just about everywhere, but I want these to last without becoming detached or affecting the photo. These will be greeting card sales mounted on quality paper with envelope & clear bags.

I did a search here & could not find anything & I realize this is a little off forum topic but wanted the best advice I could find.
[url=http://outsideshooter.imagekind.com

framah

Photo mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:59:04 am »

In reality, pretty much all adhesives affect the paper you are sticking down. The solvents in the glue  migrate into the paper and sometimes will actually change the chemicals in the image on the front.

This usually takes quite a while to happen but there are some adhesives out there that will mess it up quickly.  

As you are selling gift cards that will not become family heirlooms, you would be pretty safe using a glue stick.  The problem I see with any method you use is that unless you get the stuff right out to the edge of the paper, you will have corners and edges sticking slightly away from  the card, possibly catching on something and peeling off or bending a corner.

Have you looked into cards out there that have a pocket for the photo to go into?

When I made my own cards (eons ago!!)  I had the card printed with a nice line around where the photo would go and while doing that the printer also punched a diagonal slit in the card for the corners of the photo to go into.  This made it seem like they were buying a small print rather than just a card. No adhesives there.

Another possible method is to use ATG tape. It is usually dispensed from a gun from the roll. The paper carrier is removed by the gun and all you have on the back of the photo is a strip of adhesive.  This might be even easier for you as you will be doing quantities of cards at a time. Run a strip on all four sides on  the back of the photo and stick it down. You better know exactly where the photo is to go as you really can't reposition this stuff.

Neither of these methods are archival but then if you want archival, you would have to charge ALOT more for them then you could get.

Don't know if this has helped but, there you go.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:50:17 pm »

Thanks framah,

Yes I have looked at those cards which are 3 times the cost of these. I might though order some just for the really nice photos which eventually will be my better sellers. At that point I might be able to accept a little less in profit if they really sell well, & charge up just enough to cover costs.

Neat printer that would slice corner slits.I did this manually for Christmas photo cards.Never again. Too much time.

But for the initial phase I was wanting a basic method which was also adjustable. I think what I'd better do is try a glue stick & test it out on a practice print just to see if it is remountable should I lay it down out of square.

Anyone else have any experience at this? Any brands you are happy with?

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Photo mounting
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 05:10:33 pm »

When I first started mounting/selling photo cards I purchased from Photographers Edge.
http://www.photographersedge.com/

They have a double stick tape for the edges of your photographs.

Personally I found these cards rather pricey

I currently have them professionlly printed by Ancient Images/ Dan Norris
http://www.ancientimagescards.com/

I get buy them in bulk (2,000+) for as low as $.17 each   very good quality but you need to buy a lot.

ATG as mentioned above is also viable.

I also tried rubber cement for mounting images for shows and then removing the image later.   Not a permenant solution for your cards.

If you are doing only a few I would certainly consider the premade ones like from Photographers Edge

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 06:37:01 pm »

Thanks Larry

I was told about photographersedge.com awhile back but they are too pricey as you say. Though I probably won't buy in the quantities you are currently. I'd be in the range of 100-200 at a pop starting out. I'll take a look at your source anciantimagescards.com but I'll bet from what I've heard so far that the ATG tape may make the most sense. That way I can buy at the smaller quantities while maintaining a handle on the costs. Thank you both.

Rich

Well after visiting I can't see where Dan offers any blank cards for sale. Perhaps it is only for close friends. I even looked under Retail. Oh well I'm not ready for those quantities anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:46:19 pm by OutsideShooter »

larryg

Photo mounting
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 08:07:50 pm »

Rich, Ancient Images only will take your digital file and make cards from that file (no attaching photos on card stock)

Only in larger quantities.  (probably 1,000+)

ATG tape or the like seems to be the best fit for your needs

Alaska

Photo mounting
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:50:05 pm »

Another poster indicated they used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive with 3 light coats to mount canvas.  Looks like Home Depot has this product.  

No experience with it on this end but will try once the canvas arrives and will mount to a 1/4 piece of hardboard/masonite as a test.

Jim

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:37:10 pm »

larryg

So does this look like the gun I want?

http://www.misterart.com/g1988/3M-ATG-700-...C&WT.mc_id=1988

Rich, Ancient Images only will take your digital file and make cards from that file (no attaching photos on card stock)

Only in larger quantities.  (probably 1,000+)
ATG tape or the like seems to be the best fit for your needs
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Photo mounting
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 10:11:45 pm »

Use Scotch doublesided sticky tape; 2 or three inch piece, from corner out.  Works well inexpensibe less mess than any other glue or spray adhesive.

larryg

Photo mounting
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:08:27 am »

larryg

So does this look like the gun I want?

http://www.misterart.com/g1988/3M-ATG-700-...C&WT.mc_id=1988
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is it.  Especially if you are going to do 100 or more cards.  You can set up an assembly line of sorts.  Attach the ATG (double stick tape) and you are then ready to place the photo on it.

Make sure you buy the ATG tape that fits this applicator.  
I have used other applicators and prefer this one the most

Good luck on your sales

framah

Photo mounting
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:33 am »

Yes, that is the gun you want for putting ATg down.

Do not use ANY spray adhesives!!!  First you have to breath the fumes from it and second it gets all over the place and third you will invariably get some of it on the front and ruin a photo.  "Stick" with either the ATG or the glue stick.

Rubber cement is wrong also as that is one of those really bad ones which stain the paper and bleed thru.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:03:52 am »

Yes, that is the gun you want for putting ATg down.

Do not use ANY spray adhesives!!!  First you have to breath the fumes from it and second it gets all over the place and third you will invariably get some of it on the front and ruin a photo.  "Stick" with either the ATG or the glue stick.

Rubber cement is wrong also as that is one of those really bad ones which stain the paper and bleed thru.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101654\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the walk thru on this. I have called a local framer & she told me she has one in stock & will show me how to use it. I'll probably pick up a glue stick to have on hand too. She said to watch for the disclaimer "Archival" on the glue stick.

Thanks again

framah

Photo mounting
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 01:17:16 pm »

She is giving you good advice about the "archival" thing. Alot of stuff out there is listed as archival and really isn't. So be sort of warned to check carefully if you really do want anything to be archival.   Good luck with it.

lightchaser

Photo mounting
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 10:54:51 am »

OutsideShooter

It looks like I'm a little late for an answer for you, but here goes anyway.

I make a lot of cards. I use a scrapbooking adhesive that is acid free. It comes in a small dispenser that you can roll over the photo or card, and comes out as small white squares of tape.  It sticks well and is not detected under the photo. So far I have had no trouble with the adhesive coming loose. The one I use is called simply "Scrapbook Adhesive. It runs about $5.00 for 650 squares.
I think you can find it at almost any scrapbooking store or www.scrapbook-adhesives.com
I use the ATG for dust covers on frames but it is much too work-intensive for cards.

Hope this helps

lightchaser

OutsideShooter

Photo mounting
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 08:59:58 pm »

OutsideShooter

It looks like I'm a little late for an answer for you, but here goes anyway.

I make a lot of cards. I use a scrapbooking adhesive that is acid free. It comes in a small dispenser that you can roll over the photo or card, and comes out as small white squares of tape.  It sticks well and is not detected under the photo. So far I have had no trouble with the adhesive coming loose. The one I use is called simply "Scrapbook Adhesive. It runs about $5.00 for 650 squares.
I think you can find it at almost any scrapbooking store or www.scrapbook-adhesives.com
I use the ATG for dust covers on frames but it is much too work-intensive for cards.

Hope this helps

lightchaser
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks lightchaser. No indeed you are not too late. But I would like to hear confirmation on your suggestion. Would you mind including a link when you can?

I picked up some ATG double stick tape Friday & I have already gone through nearly 1/3 of a roll. You are right, it is labor intensive, but most importantly for me I have found that I am not very accurate with applying without the gun, & that once set in place you can forget adjusting. I ruined the photo & the card when I mistakenly mal-adjusted my first greeting card. Which is why I asked about glue sticks & from framah & larryg. They have given me good advice & I have used it. But I also want glue sticks which are Archival. I really don't like using the tape but of course since I have purchased it will use it up.

Funny thing when I went to my framer she advised me not purchasing the gun as it gums up often. Does anyone here agree? Does anyone agree that Archival glue sticks will work as well & for as long as the ATG tape?

Thanks Guys

framah

Photo mounting
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 05:58:56 pm »

I have never had a ATG gun "gum up". Not sure what she means.  Go ahead and get a gun. It will make it go alot quicker.

Unfortunately, as you found out... what lays there, stays there!!

Actually, if you have just layed the piece down and not pushed on it, you can get it up if most of it isn't stuck.   Like if you started to set in place and missed your mark.  Instead of trying to pull it up, give the paper a twist around the point of sticking and that can shear the adhesive apart. I can do this with a mat that has an edge stuck down.

larryg

Photo mounting
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 07:34:44 pm »

I have had atg guns gum up (if that is the right description)
basically the tape doesn't come off the strip correctly and ends up in a mess.

This 3m gun seems to have the fewest problems that I have used
Pages: [1]   Go Up