Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the difference between HP pro Satin and...  (Read 11351 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
What is the difference between HP pro Satin and...
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »

Ok What is the real difference between HP's professional Satin and Instand Dry Satin ?

I mean except the weight...

I don't see much sense in the Pro one, for the larger z3100, becaus it's only available in 24in roll ?

The Instant dry is available in all sizes. So the Pro only makes sense on the 24 in model.

Any other differences ?

Christopher
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:36:09 pm »

Christopher,

There is a definate difference in the surface, and also as you mentioned the weight. Also the Pro Satin does not have back printing which is an issue for some people. There may also be a gamut difference between the two papers as the Pro Satin is supposed to be a better match for the vivera inks. As for it only coming in 24" I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded the size options at some point.

Julian
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:56:57 pm »

Christopher,

I asked the dealer working on my Z3100 44" purchase if he could find out from HP about the availability of Pro Satin in a 44" roll and/or sheets. For what it's worth, his HP rep informed him that the Pro Satin will be available in a 44" roll in the near future, but he knew of no current plans to offer the Pro Satin in sheets.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

ricgal

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:21:32 pm »

Ok What is the real difference between HP's professional Satin and Instand Dry Satin ?

I mean except the weight...

I don't see much sense in the Pro one, for the larger z3100, becaus it's only available in 24in roll ?

The Instant dry is available in all sizes. So the Pro only makes sense on the 24 in model.

Any other differences ?
Christopher
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pro Satin is similar to Inova Fibaprint Satin Hiwhite in feel but fractionaly more glossy-  It works so well with the GE there is little need to use in whole page mode
It will be my paper of choice for exhibition printing i think as the Innova papers (my favorites with Epson) get a unfortunant ruddy glow in the blacks with the HP plus some gloss dif,.
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

EvoM

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 10:06:04 pm »

On my Z3100, 44, I've been trying to get something like the Kodak Endura Lustre (RA4) paper our Pro Lab uses. I've got the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin Photo Paper (Q7994A) 36inch. It's okay and the prints look good however the HP watermark and also the fact the paper is slightly "transparent" isn't so great.

Would have liked a roll of the HP Pro Satin (not instant dry) but as mentioned, it's only in 24 inch at present and hard to actually get!

The lustre or semi-matte or satin finish (all similar) we require is purely for our portrait style photos. I may try the Epson lustre or even Kodak makes a 260gsm lustre although both are way more expensive than the HP (Q7994A)!

Anyone found any other papers they can recommend that aren't too expensive for , (good but everyday) lab style portrait printing?

I may consider getting the Canson photo satin, Crane silver Rag or the HP premium pro if there are not real alternatives!

Evo

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 03:52:06 am »

Christopher,

I asked the dealer working on my Z3100 44" purchase if he could find out from HP about the availability of Pro Satin in a 44" roll and/or sheets. For what it's worth, his HP rep informed him that the Pro Satin will be available in a 44" roll in the near future, but he knew of no current plans to offer the Pro Satin in sheets.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Saw the HP site had 44" wide rolls of HP Pro Satin listed. Called and they said it will be available mid-April. Looking forward to trying this out.

Doug

chris anderson

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:11:29 am »

will it also be offered in the 36 inch width?

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 03:06:33 pm »

will it also be offered in the 36 inch width?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

don't know but they are shipping the 44in version now. Just why would you want a 36in roll ? except for Pano printing.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

chris anderson

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 04:43:12 pm »

for 30x40

don't know but they are shipping the 44in version now. Just why would you want a 36in roll ? except for Pano printing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

exposestudios

Re: What is the difference between HP pro Satin and...
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:34:26 am »

I just started to print with the Z3200-44 and like the rest of you I'm avoiding watermarked paper.  Its not what you want clients to see, so I'm trying Inkpress lustre.  My first couple of prints look similar to what we were getting in our darkroom days running fuji pro 20x24 sheet paper.  Has anyone had any bad results with inkpress paper or heard of any compatibility issues with the z printers?
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up