Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skew on Epson 3800  (Read 2707 times)

sperkins

Skew on Epson 3800
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:58:25 pm »

Hi,

I have had my Epson 3800 for around a month now.  I have just noticed it skewing by around 2-3mm on my non epson coated textured card, (around 300gsm).

I have set up a custom paper setting for it but it does not seem to have resolved the problem.

It is not doing it on my other non epson card which is a matt coated smooth around 295gram.

Any tips, It says about the platen gap adjustment, I set this to wide and on the custom paper setting it came out at 7.

By the way can somebody also explain to me what the platen gap means please!?.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

madmanchan

• Web
Skew on Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:27:54 pm »

The platen gap sets the distance between the print head and the paper. If the distance is too small, then the print head can strike the edge of the paper as it's making a pass. This will leave ink smearing on the edge of the paper, and in some severe cases can potentially damage the print head.

Unless the print head is actually touching your paper, it is quite unlikely that the platen gap setting is causing the skew.

It is most likely the way the paper is being fed. Are you using the front feed or the rear feed?
Eric Chan

sperkins

Skew on Epson 3800
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:29:46 pm »

I use the top feed which I was told could handle the 300gsm card.

I do not use the front and back as can only feed one sheet at a time.  I do not stack any more than 10 sheets when using it.

madmanchan

• Web
Skew on Epson 3800
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »

Hmm, how thick is the card? Most 300 gsm regular papers are too thick to use the top feed reliably. If you look at the manual, you'll see that Epson's Ultrasmooth Fine Art and Velvet Fine Art papers are designed to work with only the front and rear feeds.

Try the front or rear feed and see if that fixes the issue.
Eric Chan

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Skew on Epson 3800
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 07:17:22 pm »

I do not use the front and back as can only feed one sheet at a time.  I do not stack any more than 10 sheets when using it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are *not* supposed to feed art paper stock through the top feeder, only the front or rear, 1 sheet at a time -- I suspect that is your problem right there.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up