I missed the earlier version of your site, but agree with some of the comments, such as:
- You met your objective of having a very simple site focusing on images.
- I dislike flush (slow speed), and may like your site better without it.
My comments on your current version, and pardon me if some were already stated the first time around:
- I like the very legible text and wide line spacing. (probably corrected from the earlier version?}.
- I have mixed feelings about the small thumbnails. I know how many images are in each gallery, and can easily navigate to the Next/Previous image. But I can't see ALL the thumbnails at the same time and view only a particular one. Once I start viewing the images sequentially, I can't selectively jump back/forward to a particular one. Many web galleries are designed this way, and it is one problem I'm trying to resolve for my own site. I dislike being "forced" to sequentially view each and every image in this kind of design. If I were in a brick and mortar gallery and "forced" to do the same, I won't stay long or return. I feel the same about web galleries.
- The enlargement's background area seems to be a fixed size and have a slightly different shade of gray than the overall background. Some enlargements would leave tell tale edges around them.
- I like the simple text in the Info pages. However, I think they can be even better. Once I get there, I lost the gallery navigation buttons. The Info pages may work better by combining them all into one, and making Methodology, Awards, etc. into links. The quote occupying an entire page and causing an extra click is annoying.
- I like the fluid design that scales the pages according to window sizes. But does it come at the cost of speed, or something else?
- The image caption is taking up way too much room, with lots of empty space under them. Actually, I think that there are too much wasted horizontal space in the layout in general.
- The home page has no text at all. Adding some may bait search engines. Or, perhaps the Info quote can be here instead. The image has no caption.
Comments on your images:
- Like everyone else, I like them. The tonal range and contrast show very nicely, but they can be sharper.
For those who are interested in site critiques, here's a recent, lengthy and opinionated thread:http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=13890
For the web designers, we need to see some web gallery designs that you consider to be great.