Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Talked to Sinar dealer today  (Read 29486 times)

awofinden

Talked to Sinar dealer today
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2007, 11:42:13 am »

Just got off the Phone with a Phase One rep. He says you are wrong Thierry and that Phase has in fact come to an agreement to support this camera. Perhaps you can double check.

I am baffled......and I am really starting to question the entire MFDB industry and their claims, misinformation and unkept promises.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think a golden rule is to disregard all promises and speculations about what might be and only consider what is on the market right now and works, I wouldn't even think about the hy6 if I were you.

SeanBK

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2007, 11:47:09 am »

Sinar & Leaf has invested money, time & marketing their product. They come here instantly & answer all questions & redundant questions...but the frustration on  part of loyal Phase owners should go toward the Phase One. To me seems like Phase wants to get a free ride from Hasselblad or Sinar or Leaf, let them invest their money, while Phase One will just keep quite & cash in after everyone's product is out...shame on you Phase one!! & certainly not to S, L & H!!!
   How come these questions are not asked to Phase One? How come they don't show up on these forums, unless they just don't offer any support & let existing Phase owners do all their marketing, as they DO have vested (or is it wasted!!) interest in making Phase One succeed!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:50:09 am by SeanBK »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2007, 12:08:23 pm »

I am sorry Shara, in this case I cannot say more than what I have already.

Again, I try to inform with what I know and which are our plans and policy.

I think I better keep quiet from now on, since all can be put in question.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Just got off the Phone with a Phase One rep. He says you are wrong Thierry and that Phase has in fact come to an agreement to support this camera. Perhaps you can double check.

I am baffled......and I am really starting to question the entire MFDB industry and their claims, misinformation and unkept promises.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

samuel_js

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2007, 12:15:37 pm »

Sinar & Leaf has invested money, time & marketing their product. They come here instantly & answer all questions & redundant questions...but the frustration on  part of loyal Phase owners should go toward the Phase One. To me seems like Phase wants to get a free ride from Hasselblad or Sinar or Leaf, let them invest their money, while Phase One will just keep quite & cash in after everyone's product is out...shame on you Phase one!! & certainly not to S, L & H!!!
   How come these questions are not asked to Phase One? How come they don't show up on these forums, unless they just don't offer any support & let existing Phase owners do all their marketing, as they DO have vested (or is it wasted!!) interest in making Phase One succeed!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm sorry, this is totally nonsense. Phase one is making digital backs compatible with almost every popupar-commonn MF/LF camera and the best software.

RicAgu

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:18 pm »

Shara,

if you are going into a system for an new gig and yhou want no headaches the only way to go is either PhaseOne or Hasselblad at the moment.

What ever Phase is telling you on the phone is not happening now.  Will it happen, most likely.  But the question is how long.  Work with a good dealer that will allow you a plate/mount exchange within the first 12 months.

If you need something for now go with PhaseOne and then depending on your need you Have Hasselbald H1/2, Mamiya AFDII and Contax.  The least expensive ways to get into it is either Mamiya or Contax.  The only advantage to H1/2 is the flash sync, which only matters outdoors or if you arte a still life stopping some liquid action.

With the Mamiya you can get a plate for $800 and use it on the RZ with out cables.  You can pick up like new RZ gear for a song and a great AFDII kit for the cost of an H1/2 with one lens.

If and When the Hy6 comes out and can be used on PhaseOne you can look at selling the Mamiya gear for very little loss and upgrade your mount to a Rollei.

I am not sure where in the world you are located.  But Capture Intergration is an awesome company to deal with and I am sure they can cover you anywhere.  Call Chris Lawery there and he will work with getting you going.  You can reach these guys at 10pm and they will answer your questions with out fail.

Best of luck

R

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2007, 02:21:01 pm »

Shara,

if you are going into a system for an new gig and yhou want no headaches the only way to go is either PhaseOne or Hasselblad at the moment.
why that?
you can put any back on the h1/2, contax or mamiya, isnt it?

about the HY6:
i dont understand all this hype and all this speculations. lets wait and see,- not any healthy person should make a decision in this market for any announcements. sometimes i believe the companies are trying to tell their actual truth, but this industry now is really computer industry and so the devellopement cycles are that fast, that noone knows anything in fact before it is ready, which will be short time before it hits the market and the first users.

anyway its confirmed many times by both sinar+leaf, that they will share the same mount and that you will be able to buy the camera ( at least the hy6 ) without a back and that everybody is free to make a adapter plate. but all that is future. who is buying a back now want to use it now, not "maybe" in one or two years.
so take the advice if you go in a "normal" mf system, go in contax ( my favourite cause i like mine very much) or mamiya ( most economic and great prices and lenses ) or H1/2 ( expansive but standard ),- still there remains also the rollei6008 ( dont think that all back manufactors are supporting it ), i dont know much about the rolleis although stephan is using one.
 which back you mount on that cameras is another question,  ofcourse it can be a phase back....... but why it HAS to be one is out of my sight.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

hubell

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:08 pm »

Welcome to the Real World of MFDBs where you should not believe anything you are told about what cameras, lenses, software, features, and functions will be forthcoming. Buy only on the basis of what exists today and best serves your needs. This bull.... that the Phase rep is feeding you is so typical. If Phase had anything concrete to report on the Hy6 project and its involvement, you can be assured that they would have reported it.  Phase is very good at announcing all kinds of things before they happen. Thierry, OTOH,  works for the company that owns the Hy6 project and he signs on here under his real name and title. I suppose that you could ask for a letter from the Phase factory(NOT the rep) that new Phase backs will be usable with a Hy6 by say the end of 2007 by the use of an adapter system that Phase will be releasing, with full functionality of the Hy6, and that Phase will give you a full refund on the price of your Phase back if it does not meet its commitment, but I wouldn't waste my breath. You will never get it. If you want a Phase back, buy an existing MF camera that works with it now. An H2, a Mamiya 645 or a used Contax.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:55 pm »

I am sorry Shara, in this case I cannot say more than what I have already.

Again, I try to inform with what I know and which are our plans and policy.

I think I better keep quiet from now on, since all can be put in question.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I certainly hope you will not keep quiet.

I respect that there are answers you cannot give or do not want to give for whatever reason but that will not refrain me from asking

BTW.

Not everybody is asking these questions because they want to put a Phase on the Hy6.

I also want to know on how many other machines (like Kapturegroup, Silvestri, etc..)  I can put a Hy6/Afi back. Naturally I also ask that question to those companies. These companies don't necessarily need the communication protocols but at least do need to be able to make the physical connection, get the sensor in the right place and be able to trigger the back (via sync).

I know I can do this with Sinar as well as Imacon however I do like working with Leaf (so I said it.. it is out.. I like working with Leaf) but I doubt whether I like it so much to buy 2.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 02:31:02 pm by Dustbak »

william

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2007, 02:41:34 pm »

As much as I love the idea of the Hy6, it seems to me that, from a professional's perspective, the back end (the digital back and software workflow) is ultimately more important than the front end (the camera).  To be clear, I am not a full time pro myself; I do shoot for pay, but I don't have to worry about it paying my mortgage, because I have another job.  Accordingly, I have more freedom of choice than those of you who make a living from photography.

Why do I say choosing the back is more important than choosing the camera?  Well, it seems to me that most modern medium format cameras will do largely the same thing (capture light) with marginally varying degrees of sophistication or quality.  E.g., yes, Schneider lenses are fabulous and I love them, but will the client really be able to tell (especially after post-processing) whether you shot the job with a Schneider, Mamiya, or Zeiss lens?  Unlikely.  Yes, WE as photographers might be able to tell the difference, but the fact is that, in my experience, even very sophisticated clients are not as critical of the technical differences between cameras as we are.

Contrast that with potential differences amongst the backs.  Assume that Back A is very stable, doesn't crash when shooting, and allows you to process the files quickly and with great quality.  Back B, on the other hand, tends to crash a lot, displays some technical defects in the file itself, and has to be processed thru slow and clunky software.  The client WILL know if there's a big line running down the center of the image, or if the camera fails when shooting, or if the image is unusable because it had to be shot at dusk with existing light and the back's high ISO performance creates too much noise, or if it takes you 3 days rather than the 1 day you promised to get the proofs done, etc.

Don't get me wrong: I'm quite the gear hound and really really really want to be able to use my P30 on the Hy6.  But, as much as I'd like to have a Hy6, I'm NOT going to buy a different back for it just to get the use of that camera.  More specifically, I'm not going to buy a back that doesn't fit my needs as well; if Leaf or Sinar come out with a back (and software) that works as well as my P30 does for me currently, then sure, I'd switch, but that would be because of the back, not the camera.

So, if the Hy6 (or any other camera) does something that is absolutely critical to your work that you cannot get with another camera, then go for it.  (E.g., if fast flash sync is really crucial, you need the leaf shutter lenses of a Hy6, Rollei 6008, or a Hassy).  Otherwise, pick the back you need, then figure out what cameras will work with it.

Hi,

I have been looking at Leaf Aptus 75 and Sinar E75 for my new system. Today I spoke with my Phase rep and he has assured me that the new Hy6 Rolleiflex will be available with a Phase back. He told me that Phase has come to an agreeement with Franke & ??.

Can anyone confirm this? My father is helping me finance my first medium format back for a new ad campaign I am shooting and I don't want to go inthe wrong direction. Should I consider Phase One in addition to Leaf and Sinar?

Thank you
Shara Haddad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 02:43:57 pm by william »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »

Welcome to the Real World of MFDBs where you should not believe anything you are told about what cameras, lenses, software, features, and functions will be forthcoming. Buy only on the basis of what exists today and best serves your needs. This bull.... that the Phase rep is feeding you is so typical. If Phase had anything concrete to report on the Hy6 project and its involvement, you can be assured that they would have reported it.  Phase is very good at announcing all kinds of things before they happen. Thierry, OTOH,  works for the company that owns the Hy6 project and he signs on here under his real name and title. I suppose that you could ask for a letter from the Phase factory(NOT the rep) that new Phase backs will be usable with a Hy6 by say the end of 2007 by the use of an adapter system that Phase will be releasing, with full functionality of the Hy6, and that Phase will give you a full refund on the price of your Phase back if it does not meet its commitment, but I wouldn't waste my breath. You will never get it. If you want a Phase back, buy an existing MF camera that works with it now. An H2, a Mamiya 645 or a used Contax.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so you might as well ask thierry and yair for the same thing and a refund if the Hy6 does in fact support phase backs by a certain time!
the bottom line is that the camera isn't even shipping yet...we are all hoping it will..it will accept schneider lenses, there will be new lenses coming out....leaf and sinar backs will be supported right away....these are the things we know...the time frame for all this is the next 6-8 months....a lot of things can happen in the meantime and after...and we just don't know yet and i would not believe any rep or a even signed piece of paper...we can draw our own conclusions from what has happened in the past and existing products....from that i truly believe without a doubt that someone, somewhere will make a phase adapter for the camera....

either way for a professional working today none of this really makes any sense...i can't hope to be able to shoot with a future product in nov.2007!?!?
unless of course someone wants a sinar back, great, get the 6008, switch to Hy6 when it ships....if someone wants a leaf back, you will have to wait (and be without a camera for a couple of months) or buy a leaf back for H1/2, mamiya, contax and switch mounts when the AFi ships (or maybe leaf will prvide a tade in deal of some kind?).....if someone wants a phase back, wait a little longer or get a H1/2, mamiya, contax and switch mounts when the adapter or whatever comes out....but you are taking a chance that there will never be an adapter....

pss

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2007, 02:53:47 pm »

As much as I love the idea of the Hy6, it seems to me that, from a professional's perspective, the back end (the digital back and software workflow) is ultimately more important than the front end (the camera).  To be clear, I am not a full time pro myself; I do shoot for pay, but I don't have to worry about it paying my mortgage, because I have another job.  Accordingly, I have more freedom of choice than those of you who make a living from photography.

Why do I say choosing the back is more important than choosing the camera?  Well, it seems to me that most modern medium format cameras will do largely the same thing (capture light) with marginally varying degrees of sophistication or quality.  E.g., yes, Schneider lenses are fabulous and I love them, but will the client really be able to tell (especially after post-processing) whether you shot the job with a Schneider, Mamiya, or Zeiss lens?  Unlikely.  Yes, WE as photographers might be able to tell the difference, but the fact is that, in my experience, even very sophisticated clients are not as critical of the technical differences between cameras as we are.

Contrast that with potential differences amongst the backs.  Assume that Back A is very stable, doesn't crash when shooting, and allows you to process the files quickly and with great quality.  Back B, on the other hand, tends to crash a lot, displays some technical defects in the file itself, and has to be processed thru slow and clunky software.  The client WILL know if there's a big line running down the center of the image, or if the camera fails when shooting, or if the image is unusable because it had to be shot at dusk with existing light and the back's high ISO performance creates too much noise, or if it takes you 3 days rather than the 1 day you promised to get the proofs done, etc.

Don't get me wrong: I'm quite the gear hound and really really really want to be able to use my P30 on the Hy6.  But, as much as I'd like to have a Hy6, I'm NOT going to buy a different back for it just to get the use of that camera.  More specifically, I'm not going to buy a back that doesn't fit my needs as well; if Leaf or Sinar come out with a back (and software) that works as well as my P30 does for me currently, then sure, I'd switch, but that would be because of the back, not the camera.

So, if the Hy6 (or any other camera) does something that is absolutely critical to your work that you cannot get with another camera, then go for it.  (E.g., if fast flash sync is really crucial, you need the leaf shutter lenses of a Hy6, Rollei 6008, or a Hassy).  Otherwise, pick the back you need, then figure out what cameras will work with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

same here....i switched from a 6008 with P20 to mamiya 645 and RZ with P30...i looked at all the backs..the emotion was very close, but in the end the P30 was the best choice for me....as hard as it was to give up my schneider glass....i really want the Hy6 to accept phase backs, and i think it can really only succeed if it does....you can't win in this market if you start at 0% (Hy6) or 1%(6008, don't know the actual percentage, but i am pretty sure it is less) and cut out 50% of your target group....even if it is not about winning, i think it would be hard to stay alive....

choose your back, test them all, maybe you are happy with the H system! figure out a workflow....

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2007, 06:41:36 pm »

same here....i switched from a 6008 with P20 to mamiya 645 and RZ with P30...i looked at all the backs..the emotion was very close, but in the end the P30 was the best choice for me....as hard as it was to give up my schneider glass....i really want the Hy6 to accept phase backs, and i think it can really only succeed if it does....[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']you can't win in this market if you start at 0% (Hy6)[/span] or 1%(6008, don't know the actual percentage, but i am pretty sure it is less) and cut out 50% of your target group....even if it is not about winning, i think it would be hard to stay alive....

choose your back, test them all, maybe you are happy with the H system! figure out a workflow....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I totally agree.

Regards
Danijela

hubell

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 07:13:41 pm »

same here....i switched from a 6008 with P20 to mamiya 645 and RZ with P30...i looked at all the backs..the emotion was very close, but in the end the P30 was the best choice for me....as hard as it was to give up my schneider glass....i really want the Hy6 to accept phase backs, and i think it can really only succeed if it does....you can't win in this market if you start at 0% (Hy6) or 1%(6008, don't know the actual percentage, but i am pretty sure it is less) and cut out 50% of your target group....even if it is not about winning, i think it would be hard to stay alive....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The basic flaw in your thinking is that Sinar and Leaf(who bankrolled the Hy6 project and essentially own it) don't want to win the "battle" and become successful camera distributors by selling lots of cameras and lenses for Phase back owners. They really have no interest in selling cameras to Phase owners. Period. End of story. Thierry and Yair have basically repeated this over and over again. The only issue is how difficult they will make it for Phase owners to mount a Phase back on a Hy6. They want to win the "war" by selling more digital backs. If Sinar now has 5% of the MFDB market today and still has the same 5% after the introduction of the Hy6, do you think they would feel that the Hy6 venture was a success because they were selling a bunch of cameras to Phase owners to help Phase compete with them and Hasselblad?
The only way I see this changing is if their strategy for capturing market share collapses. Then, they may just sell the whole Hy6 venture and their MFDB businesses to Phase and walk away, leaving Phase and Hassy to fight it out.

samuel_js

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2007, 07:29:15 pm »

The basic flaw in your thinking is that Sinar and Leaf(who bankrolled the Hy6 project and essentially own it) don't want to win the "battle" and become successful camera distributors by selling lots of cameras and lenses for Phase back owners. They really have no interest in selling cameras to Phase owners. Period. End of story. Thierry and Yair have basically repeated this over and over again. The only issue is how difficult they will make it for Phase owners to mount a Phase back on a Hy6. They want to win the "war" by selling more digital backs. If Sinar now has 5% of the MFDB market today and still has the same 5% after the introduction of the Hy6, do you think they would feel that the Hy6 venture was a success because they were selling a bunch of cameras to Phase owners to help Phase compete with them and Hasselblad?
The only way I see this changing is if their strategy for capturing market share collapses. Then, they may just sell the whole Hy6 venture and their MFDB businesses to Phase and walk away, leaving Phase and Hassy to fight it out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And you think the H/Phaseone - 6008/Phaseone owners will buy a new hy6 and a new DB too? Just like that? I think this "battle" is already lost.... and the cameras are not even out...
I think maybe Sinar is missing the Hasselblad still have an H1/H2 which are open systems. You can put anything on them inclusive sinar/leaf. And Rollei 6008/Contax/mamiya are still there...

Best Regards

pss

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

with no disrespect to either thierry or yair: as far as i am concerned they can tattoo "no phase on Hy6" on their lower backs...does not mean a thing....they are ding the same thing the phase reps do...telling their customers what is in the best interest of their companies....i have heard form my ep and my dealer that phase will be supported....some one else in this thread has as well...does that make a difference? no..i won't believe it until i see it....or i still haven't seen it in 2 years from now....i would not plan on it either way...i chose phase, (i am still hoping for the Hy6) and i shoot mamiya because it works NOW....for me....

leaf does not own the Hy6...rollei was working on it long before leaf or sinar were interested....

sinar obviously does not care about marketshare at all...look at the M....

thsinar

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2007, 09:19:40 pm »

I guess this question does not really concern me, and Leaf should give answer here.

However, as for the first part of your question: there is NO Hy6 Back, and all exisiting and future Sinarbacks can and will be able to be mounted on any exisitng camera platform (V-Mount) and if there is no mechanical impossibility.

Best regards,
Thierry

I certainly hope you will not keep quiet.

I respect that there are answers you cannot give or do not want to give for whatever reason but that will not refrain me from asking

BTW.

Not everybody is asking these questions because they want to put a Phase on the Hy6.

I also want to know on how many other machines (like Kapturegroup, Silvestri, etc..)  I can put a Hy6/Afi back. Naturally I also ask that question to those companies. These companies don't necessarily need the communication protocols but at least do need to be able to make the physical connection, get the sensor in the right place and be able to trigger the back (via sync).

I know I can do this with Sinar as well as Imacon however I do like working with Leaf (so I said it.. it is out.. I like working with Leaf) but I doubt whether I like it so much to buy 2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:30:51 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2007, 09:30:15 pm »

neither Sinar nor Leaf, nor even Rollei (read Franke & Heidecke) own the Hy6 project: it is Jenoptik

Thierry

leaf does not own the Hy6...rollei was working on it long before leaf or sinar were interested....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

hubell

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2007, 09:54:36 pm »

with no disrespect to either thierry or yair: as far as i am concerned they can tattoo "no phase on Hy6" on their lower backs...
1. They have essentially done that.
does not mean a thing....they are ding the same thing the phase reps do...telling their customers what is in the best interest of their companies....i have heard form my ep and my dealer that phase will be supported....some one else in this thread has as well...
2. There is a major difference between what Sinar/Jenoptik and Leaf as the owners of the Hy6 project say on the record v. what some clueless Phase rep trying to sell a back to a poor consumer says off the record. Sinar/Jenoptik (and perhaps  Leaf) OWN the Hy6 project, so they set the rules, not Phase and its customers.
3. Sinar/Jenoptik and to some degree maybe  Leaf own the Hy6 project, not Rollei. But don't let the facts get in the way.
sinar obviously does not care about marketshare at all...look at the M...
4. Yes, Sinar is in business primarily for the hell of it, and secondarily to sell cameras to Phase back owners. This is a very good business plan.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Danijela D. Karic

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2007, 10:26:41 pm »

neither Sinar nor Leaf, nor even Rollei (read Franke & Heidecke) own the Hy6 project: it is Jenoptik

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is Jenoptik the owner of Sinar, Leaf or Rollei?

Regards
Danijela

thsinar

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2007, 10:46:56 pm »

Dear Danijela,

Jenoptik Germany is owner of Sinar Switzerland.

Best regards,
Thierry

Is Jenoptik the owner of Sinar, Leaf or Rollei?

Regards
Danijela
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up