Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decision on LF lenses for digital  (Read 2827 times)

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Decision on LF lenses for digital
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:15:28 pm »

I have been using a rollei X Act 2 with an aptus 65 back,  and have the following lenses in rollei electronic shutters---  Rodenstock Sinar 35mm, 60mm and 80mm.  I also have schneider digitar 120 and 180mm in a mechanical shutter.

For field use, I do not like having to use the electronic shutters for a variety of reasons but the bottom line is ease of use. I mostly use the camera for macro and landscapes. The  35mm is generally plenty wide and I acutally use that lens least often.

So I have considered selling the electronic shutter lenses and controller, and getting a 47mm XL and 80mm Schneider digitar in mechanical shutter... alternatively, I have considered the rodenstock 55mm digital and 80 or 90mm digitar.  Then at  some point down the line, I could get a wider lens if needed.

However, I have found an alternative solution--- have the electronic shutters removed from my current lineup, and replaced with mechanical shutters.    I actually have a possible buyer for the empty electronic shutters. The cost of changing the shutters is going to be about 1K for all three lenses including optical bench testing to make sure the shutters are properly installed.

So I do not have a definitive cost analyses yet--- but lets assume the cost of changing the current lenses vs the cost of buying new lenses are close to the same.  What do you think is the best direction to go.  I know some of this is subjective but just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this matter.

Mark

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 02:23:02 am »

Copal shutters a are a couple pretty cheap and listed on RobertWHite on thier LF page

Or just e-bay LF lenses and buy any old rubbish in a copal

Just buy em do the swap and flog the electronic shutters - youll make money

Cant see the logic though

I find cocking a shutter in a recceed board a right PITA

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:43:26 pm »

The issue is that it is not a trival process to switch out the shutters and adjust to make sure that the allignment is correct.  
I have used both mechanical and  electronic shutters and if i was in a studio and not moving around in the field, i woudl prefer the electronic shutters as you are correct it makes life easier. But with a digital back and having to assemble and unassemble and plug all the cords back and forth and worry about the charging of the battery for the lens controller-- the mechanical route is the one I have elected to go.  I think have a hybrid.. meaning lenses in both types of shutters are even more complex as you have to switch back and forth. Mark  

Copal shutters a are a couple pretty cheap and listed on RobertWHite on thier LF page

Or just e-bay LF lenses and buy any old rubbish in a copal

Just buy em do the swap and flog the electronic shutters - youll make money

Cant see the logic though

I find cocking a shutter in a recceed board a right PITA

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up