Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diffraction, optics, sensors, and all that  (Read 2486 times)

CSidney

• http://www.unc.edu/~johnsonc
Diffraction, optics, sensors, and all that
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:25:48 pm »

Some of you enjoyed the recent and continuing discussion on Lens Equivalents.  Those people who find the science and technology behind photography interesting may enjoy my new BLOG: photophys.com

I am posting my new book (tentative title) "Science for the Curious Photographer" chapter by chapter in hopes of getting comments and criticisms.  The first three chapters are now online.  In a few weeks I will post more chapters.  The later chapters are much heavier, and I need advice about the best way to represent physics and math to a general audience.

Ray

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:18:39 pm »

Some of you enjoyed the recent and continuing discussion on Lens Equivalents.  Those people who find the science and technology behind photography interesting may enjoy my new BLOG: photophys.com

I am posting my new book (tentative title) "Science for the Curious Photographer" chapter by chapter in hopes of getting comments and criticisms.  The first three chapters are now online.  In a few weeks I will post more chapters.  The later chapters are much heavier, and I need advice about the best way to represent physics and math to a general audience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Charles,
This is shaping up to be a really interesting book for the layman. Your first 3 chapters are excellent and I hope you can maintain the clarity and interest in subsequent chapters, especially with regard to the complex mathematics which is sometimes an obstacle for some of us.

The only criticism I can make is with your introduction of the concept of the pixel in chapter 3, which you describe as the smallest element in an image. I think you should amplify on this because there are a couple of competing concepts here. One such concept is that the pixel represents the smallest 'picture' element, and a 'picture' element consists of a red, green and blue element. Such confusion has manifested itself in descriptions of the pixel count of the Foveon type sensor in the Sigma SD9 for example. Is it a 3.3mp sensor or a 10mp sensor?

My standard definition TV set (or any SVGA monitor) has a resolution of 800x600 pixels, but each of those pixels has a red, green and blue element. I think you should dispel any confusion about this right from the start.

Best regards for the project.  

CSidney

• http://www.unc.edu/~johnsonc
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:28:55 pm »

Ray,

Thanks for your comments.  I will certainly revisit my definition of a pixel.

I hope that you will keep reading and commenting as I post additional chapters.

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up