Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to UV or not to UV ? (Eye-one)  (Read 5959 times)

antoinerose

to UV or not to UV ? (Eye-one)
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:47:04 pm »

Hello to all,
First post altough long time reader of the LL forums & sites.
A little background, I do photography as a side job, both commercially & personnal artwork.
I'm a D200 user for commercial work, & love my pentax 6x7II for personnal artwork.
I love to control the end to end chain, from capture to printing. To understand the color management problematic, I've read lots of books & website review/documentation/tests but I'm not an engineer nor a color geek therefore be indulgent & pardon my ignorance (to some extend!)
(& btw sorry for my english I'm french speaking ;-)
My setup for Color Mgt includes so far a lacie electronblue IV, calibrated with Monaco Optix Xr Pro (PC environment, win XP, Matrox P650). I use a Canon i9950 A3+ with very basic output profiles based on Monaco EZColor/IT8 Target/Epson 4990 Scanner)
I'm now ready to take the plunge & invest in a A2+ printer. My choice is definitive & will be the Canon ipf5000.  
I just have one question regarding which spectro from gretag, eye one WITH UV, WITHOUT UV & which software suite ?
I've read troughout my web resarch so many different & contradictory conclusions that I'm now lost !
What I want to do with my spectro is to calibrate both my monitor (CRT and LCD) + any pigment based OR colorant based printer on any kind of paper. (I will sell my Monaco Optix colorimeter if relevant)  But 80% of my profiling work performed by the eye-one will be on photographic paper such as Ilford smooth pearl or glossy paper (like the PR-101) I do not intend to use much fine art paper (cotton based etc...)
Can anyone of you guys give me a simple answer on that topic (UV or Not UV, software), BASED ON PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE ?  I sometimes feels that there are a lot of findings/conclusions based on theoretical & quantitative testing (which I appreciate a lot) but the bottom line for me is : What will a "lambda" observer find to be more pleasant. Read: real life experience.
Looking forward for some advice
Many thanks
Antoine

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 08:18:40 pm »

With the proper software that can detect OB's a UV isn't at all necessary (I'm using ProfileMaker Pro as well as EyeOne Match). There's a debate among color geeks. Some say UV filters are useful, some say it's like placing your hands over each ear and humming loudly (IOW, it doesn't help).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

antoinerose

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:22:51 am »

With the proper software that can detect OB's a UV isn't at all necessary (I'm using ProfileMaker Pro as well as EyeOne Match). There's a debate among color geeks. Some say UV filters are useful, some say it's like placing your hands over each ear and humming loudly (IOW, it doesn't help).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your reply, It confims that there are some uncertainty & no reall consensus on that matter.  Taking into account the price difference between both, I think I'll go for the non-UV version.  I was also wondering if monacoprofiler can detect the OB's via software or not.  There is the choice in their software between the iOne with or without UV. I haven't found any documentation from Monaco wether it manage the UV/non UV stuff properly via software.
Anone know this ?
Txs
Antoine

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:11:36 am »

I was also wondering if monacoprofiler can detect the OB's via software or not.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It doesn't.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

antoinerose

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:23:49 pm »

I'm pretty much decided on the iOne - non UV version. (Design version for budget reason, plan to upgrade to the photo later)
I did purchase 2 years ago a Monaco Optix XR PRO.
I'm planning to sell it & use the iOne for display calibration as well.
However, while searching if there was any advantage of a colorimeter vs Spectro for display calibration, I've read Andrew's post on Dpreview (see below) which tend to conclude that in some cases, a colorimater could have an edge over a spectro.
Provided that I'm not a color geek at all but just looking for having a versatile & cost effective tools, would anyone give advice on should I sell or not the OPTIX XR PRO ?
Many Thanks for your advice.
Antoine

------ EXTRACT FROM DPREVIEW -----
No but there are advantages to using a well tuned colorimeter for display calibration since it’s usually better at measuring darker areas. Just because a Spectrophotometer cost more, it’s not necessarily better (and when measuring a display, there’s no light source used so technically it’s a spectroradiometer). Since a Spectrophotometer has to break color into many bands unlike a colorimeter which breaks the color into three components using filters that can be optimized for a display, it can out preform a Spectroradiometer in some cases. Most may not notice the difference so it’s not a recommendation not to sell the colorimeter only that the two instruments are not always equal.
--
Andrew Rodney
Author of Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 03:31:16 pm »

If you aim to do proofing, you may find a use for the UV-cut. Or not.
If you aim to exhibit prints you need the non-cut (regular) version because the spectro should see the same thing as the customer.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

antoinerose

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:21:33 am »

If you aim to do proofing, you may find a use for the UV-cut. Or not.
If you aim to exhibit prints you need the non-cut (regular) version because the spectro should see the same thing as the customer.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely for fine print, not for proofing.
Is the eye-one (spectro) device a capable device for replacing my Optix XR PRO ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Antoine

swashbu

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:34:58 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for my ignorance but what does OB's mean?

Thanks
Steve

francois

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 02:41:14 am »

Sorry for my ignorance but what does OB's mean?

Thanks
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=102017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Optical  Brightener, this is chemical substance added to the paper (in this case but also used in laundry detergents) to enhance the "whiteness" of the paper.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:53:27 am by francois »
Francois

swashbu

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 09:47:30 am »

Thanks Francis! I should have figured that one out.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up