Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook with good screen ?  (Read 5970 times)

Marsupilami

Notebook with good screen ?
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:46:15 am »

Hi

After searching and searching and looking at tests and at notebooks in the shop I got the impression that there seems to be no notebook out there which has a good tft that I can calibrate and use for work in Photoshop. Back home I have a decent Dual Pc and a Eizo CE240W TFT, but as I am quite often on trips longer than a month with my camping car (this year Iceland for about 6 weeks) it would be good to have a notebook I can work with. I wont make all the critical stuff with it, but nevertheless a good screen would be a big plus. Any recomendations ? Apple is not an option for me as I am a Pc guy and do not want to have two systems to work on.

thanks !

Christian

K.C.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:27:40 am »

Apple is not an option for me as I am a Pc guy and do not want to have two systems to work on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why not ?

XP runs great on a Macbook Pro and the display is quite good.

mcculloched

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:22 am »

"Apple is not an option for me as I am a Pc guy and do not want to have two systems to work on."

If you have to do color work on a laptop, Apple is in my opinion your only option.  Before one of my friends switched to Apple he was working on a Sony laptop.  His colors have vastly improved and he's lecturing at the Apple SoHo store next month.

Ed McCulloch

http://www.mccullochphotography.com

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:48:37 am »

If you have to do color work on a laptop, Apple is in my opinion your only option.  Before one of my friends switched to Apple he was working on a Sony laptop.  His colors have vastly improved and he's lecturing at the Apple SoHo store next month.

There's a lot of options out there other than Sony. I have a Fujitsu with a screen that is quite a bit better thann the Sonys, so claiming Apple is the only decent laptop optiuon screenwise is based more on Mac religious zealotry than objective reality.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:23:52 am »

HP has a wide gamut screen available for their notebooks. It was the only one that I could find and it is noticeably better than my previous Dell

17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen

Marc
Marc McCalmont

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 06:29:11 am »

The screen of my new MacBookPro (15", matt) is not uniform at all. Anybody the same issue?

naisan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:28:32 am »

I have a IBM thinkpad t42p with the 1600x1200 15" screen. It corrects with a mean DeltaE of .41 and has very good (.3) blacks.

Pretty good in my book.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:50:27 pm »

The Acer Travelmate 8210 comes with (from their website, although emphasis mine, below): Windows XP Professional; Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400 (4MB L2 cache, 2.16GHz, 667MHz FSB); 2GB (1/1) DDR2 533 SDRAM; 160GB SATA hard drive, 5400RPM; modular Blu-ray Disc™ drive; 5-in-1 card reader; 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) TFT display; ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 graphics; 802.11a/b/g WLAN, Bluetooth®, Bluetooth® VoIP phone, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem; Acer® OrbiCam camera.  It's a machine I've been looking at for myself...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JulesJules

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 03:36:36 pm »

Don't be frightened of Macs. You can use a MacBook Pro (and very good screens they have too) and copy the files effortlessly across to your PC to print or work more on. I do this all the time and use both platforms. You'll probably prefer the Mac too!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:12 pm »

Don't be frightened of Macs. You can use a MacBook Pro (and very good screens they have too) and copy the files effortlessly across to your PC to print or work more on. I do this all the time and use both platforms. You'll probably prefer the Mac too!

Hi There:

I see that this is only your second post on this forum, so you may not be aware of the fine and longstanding MAC vs PC debate we have here.  We've gone more rounds than a title match with no clear winner!  And since someone is likely to pop up with 'I'm not AFRAID of MAC's, I just PREFER a PC!!!!!' I thought I'd put tongue firmly in cheek and do it first.  ;-)

I've used MAC, PC, mainframe (UNIX, VMS,etc) Commodore 64... even an old ATARI with the 1MB of RAM...

BTW, welcome to the list!

Mike.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:49:01 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

LGeb

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 04:54:22 pm »

I have yet to see a laptop with what I consider a good screen for photo editing. My new Macbook pro's screen is ok, but not very even (very noticable at the edges). Once profiled it isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I would say to buy a laptop you like and get a good external monitor for working on images. Choose a laptop with DVI output for the most flexibility. Make sure you can get enough memory in the thing. Go for at least 2GB if you will run Vista and Photoshop (this info is from secondhand sources). I got 3GB in the MacBookPro and wouldn't want any less.

lllusion

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:46 am »

HP has a wide gamut screen available for their notebooks. It was the only one that I could find and it is noticeably better than my previous Dell

17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you found that the 1440x900 is enough realestate?
For my dv9000t I'm trying to decide between the   17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900) or the 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050).

I like the idea of the former because of the "improved color gamut by 72%", but the latter would give a lot more area to work with. This will be my DTR.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 12:02:40 pm »

Christian,

Your dilemma is one I've faced for years. Contrary to popular belief, the Mac notebooks don't have that great a screen and are lower res. (I calibrate my wife's Macbook Pro on a regular basis. It does a decent job, but not enough screen resolution for me and uneven angle of view.)

For a while, I used Sager notebooks, because they were the only ones offering a wide-view, WUXGA+ matte 15 inch screen. Their screens calibrated very well -- comparable to my desktops. Unfortunately, no more.

My most recent notebook purchase is the Acer Ferrari 5000. It's one of the few out there with at least a WSXGA+ screen (1680x1050). It calibrates well, and though it's a "glossy", it's not obnoxiously so -- like HP or Compaq or even Sony. Luster??

My ancient Sager still had the best screen -- UXGA+ 1600x1200, bright and accurate. If you can get a look at the Acers, they may do the trick for you, as well as being fairly decent computers on top of pretty good hi-res screens. I do a lot of pre-press conversions on location (invariably because I'm on one job while finishing another), so I need something that's accurate and that I can rely upon.

Nemo

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »

Lenovo Thinkpad with the Flexview display option.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

DHB

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 10:26:40 am »

Lenovo Thinkpad with the Flexview display option.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Apparently Lenovo is discontinuing this screen option.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up