Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley Sunrises and Sunsets  (Read 13843 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Death Valley Sunrises and Sunsets
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 11:09:33 am »

I'll be spending most of the week of March 17 in Death Valley with the following locations chosen for those key light moments.
Sunrises:  Zabriskie Pt, Ubehebe Crater, Sand Dunes, Aguereberry Point
Sunsets: Dante's View, Artiste's Palette, Racetrack, Sand Dunes, Badwater
Two questions:
1) Any suggestions on changes (eg sunrise for sunset or vice versa) or additions as I have flexibility in my schedule.
2) I will have GPS with me and try to Geotag my pictures when I return.  Does anyone have GPS coordinates (as used in Geocaching) or sources for same for ideal photo hikes or photo locations?
Thanks,
Marv
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just got back from Death Valley.
Zabriskie and other grand vistas were not too keen.  Really hazy. (did better zooming in on the intricate designs in the mountains close by in lieu of the grand scene.
We made the drive to Racetrack.  Wow what a great place.  Great clouds and sunset.    We drove in at about 18 miles an hour  what a bumpy ride  on the way out we drove at 35 mph and was easier ride.  Definately make this trip.
Dante's view (we drove up there and it was so hazy that we left)  we went to 20 mule team canyon (nice area) and Golden Canyon.
Went to Badwater in early morning for grand scene (with salt flats in foreground)
very nice   and also then went for sunset with reflection of mountain in pond (about 10 minutes of golden light then shade)  worth both trips.

Did not do sand dunes
Did the crater.   Ok in crater but facing the mountains to the north I got some really great telephoto shots.  Also some telephoto images of inside (at bottom area) of the crater.
Aguereberry Point is really far off (we stayed in Beatty) Also with all the haze it would probably be disapointing?

Good luck   You really don't need GPS coordinates (I had my gps but didn't bother writing down numbers)  because the maps are well laid out.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 08:05:32 pm »

Regarding driving to the Racetrack, I believe the OP said he wanted to be there at sunrise. Unless it is a full moon, the darkness will (should) also slow you down.  I admire  anyone who drives 2+ hours in the dark on a bumpy dirt road to be there at sunrise!  

That would also get you out of there before it gets too hot.

Bob.
Bob
 ht

howiesmith

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 08:57:29 pm »

Regarding driving to the Racetrack, I believe the OP said he wanted to be there at sunrise. Unless it is a full moon, the darkness will (should) also slow you down.  I admire  anyone who drives 2+ hours in the dark on a bumpy dirt road to be there at sunrise! 

That would also get you out of there before it gets too hot.

Bob.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And add maybe another hour to get from Stove Pipe/Furnace Creek/Beatty to the start of the dirt road.  Then hike to the moving rocks, set up your camera and stuff.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 02:31:03 pm »

If I was ambitious  I would have gone the night before and do sunset then sleep in car for sunrise.  Saves driving at dark and long long drives.

sunset was great

howiesmith

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 05:31:31 pm »

If I was ambitious  I would have gone the night before and do sunset then sleep in car for sunrise.  Saves driving at dark and long long drives.

sunset was great
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this has a lot to do with making reasonable and doable estimates of driving times.  Getting up at 3 am to drive a 100 miles is just not likely to happen for me.

I am not a morning person.  Getting up to make a shot is hard work for me.  So if I can travel the day before and sleep as late (long) as possible, the more likely I am to shoot that sunrise.

danmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 09:21:30 pm »

And add maybe another hour to get from Stove Pipe/Furnace Creek/Beatty to the start of the dirt road.  Then hike to the moving rocks, set up your camera and stuff.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll be in Death Valley in 40 hours. Yay!

I expect to stay somewhere in a roadside campground on Sunday - perhaps Sunset if there is space available.

I'll head out to the Racetrack in the afternoon on Monday - this time leaving plenty of time to get there well before sunset. (Last year I drove all the way to the Racetrack from the SF Bay Area in one day... and arrived just after sunset... Got good shooting in the early morning though.)

I plan to shoot sunset, then do some night photography under the full moon (or near full moon) later. I'll be up before dawn the next morning to shoot moon set and then sunrise before driving back out. I'll be exhausted no doubt, but sleeping during the middle of the day should resolve that.

Then I'll have another couple of days to hit a few of the usual hot spots, maybe some dunes at the north end of the park, and perhaps some more night photography.

I concur that driving the road to the Racetrack in the dark would not be fun at all. I've been out there twice and while it isn't the worst road in the world, it is long and dusty and rough.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
[url=http://www.gdanmitch
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up