Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendation -- carbon fiber tripod  (Read 15502 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
recommendation -- carbon fiber tripod
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:05:23 pm »

I purchased a Giottos carbon fiber tripod a year ago with their ball head. After using it on two extended photo shoots (on location), I have decided that I do not like it. The legs are extremely difficult to open. I continually fight them, especially if they have become damp, or wet. It seems that a suction forms inside the legs .... keep them from extending easily.

Their ball head is also combersome to use. I have to unscrew 2 knobs to move the camera. I've seen people using ball heads that are more simply adjusted.

If I am going to replace it, what brand do you all recommend? And, what type ball head?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:06:43 pm by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:30 pm »

Hi, I have a small Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod for packing in on fishing trips and it works great, no problems with the legs wet or dry..

I can't remember the model #, but it's the smallest they make and with a ball head holds up a 1DS2
steady enough..

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 12:00:33 am »

augg

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 07:24:44 am »

wow, those feisols look great! any hands on experience?

dan

Chipper

• http://www.royalflamingoworks.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:50:58 am »

I just got a Bogen/Manfrotto 055MF3 (magfiber) with a Bogen Midi head ball, 488RCO and I love them both.

The ball head comes with quick release and the tripod is easy to handle and very sturdy. Holds up to 16 lbs.

Very happy with investment!

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 08:10:15 am »

i recently bought my 7th tripod. horses for courses, they say, but finally i got a gitzo. all the others before where mainly manfrotto of all available sizes, i just wasn't ready ro pay so much. but with the basalt series they reach affordable levels. there is one called 2940L, which gitzo seems to hide from view (they don't even show it on their website), as all the other basalts where just too low to be used standing upright.  for any height above 1,60 m they want you to go carbon, but the 2940 goes up tho eye-level.

i combined that with a RRS BH-40, which is good, though the wobbely main knob-design doesn't feel too impressive, and you have a very sturdy and portable tripod combination.

stefan
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

framah

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 05:44:01 pm »

I have a Velbon carbon fiber  Neo Carmagne 840 with a Velbon PH-285 head. It isn't a ball head as I got fed up with ball heads not being in the right position when I needed to reposition to vertical. That notch is never where I want it to be.  This head is made to set up for either lefties or righties as the handles can be moved to the other side.  This is pretty much the best setup I have ever had and hopefully the last one I will ever need.

It holds my 1Ds with a 70-200 lens tight enough for 25 second exposures in Antelope Canyon.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Sheldon N

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:50:19 pm »

Ditto on the Feisol. I had a CT-3301N legset with a Kirk BH-3 Ballhead. It was excellent, easy to use and a great light weight/sturdiness ratio.

I did upgrade to a Gitzo 1325 legset and Markins M20 head, since I also shoot 4x5 and the Feisol was better suited to 35mm. However, the Gitzo/Markins combo is almost 2lbs heavier and double the cost.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 07:09:37 pm »

Bogen/Manfrotto 055MF3 (magfiber) with a Bogen head? Which one? You never said what you shoot with.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

LA30

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

I just bought the Gitzo GT3540L and Markins Q-Ball M20 I couldn't be happier.  For digital 35mm and 645 medium format I think that this is the best all around option.  I wanted something very strong/rigid, light, portable and easy to use.  The head holds 100 lbs and the legs hold 40 lbs.  Overkill but very rigid.  I don't want to fight my tripod.  I don't shoot very, very high, I don't shoot 8X10.  I am 6'3" and it is at eye level without the center column up, using a 35mm body.  I really like what the NEW Gitzo's did with their ground level system.  You unscrew the top off the center column and you can shoot right on the ground, with the legs fully out.  

The legs are sliding a little tight at the moment, yes.  I do think that they will break-in a little.  

The new twist locks are a different pitch and require about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to open.  They also don't rotate as the old ones did.  That was very frustrating.

The head.  I have looked at and used a few different ball heads.  I bought the Markins M20 sight-unseen.  With custom plate, case and shipping you are very close to $500.  That is a big purchase for me sight unseen.  I will say that what intrigued me was the weight capacity, finish and weight of the head itself.  I can say that you have to spend money to get a good ball head.  I don't like how tight the case fits.  It should be a little bit bigger in diameter.  The biggest problem that I have with the head is that I try to over tighten the locking knob.  The head is so strong you only have to tighten it a little bit, like 1/2 turn to lock it.  Let the head do its thing, not your grip.  I have read that the rotating lock isn't too tight.  The one at the base.  I find it to be ok.  I have only had the tripod for less than a week and used it with a Canon 5D w/Grip and a 24-70 2.8 canon lens, sorry nothing bigger yet.  I like the tripod very much.  It is a very expensive tripod, I sold 3 bogen tripods with heads and put up a bunch of money for it and I would do it again in a second.  Best of luck and try to check out those legs, they are NEW as of a month ago.

Ken Scott
www.kenscottphoto.com
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:37:04 pm by kenscott30 »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 02:36:50 pm »

My feisol has been great.  They offered a center post upgrade kit (which also included a fixed plate) a while ago and I'm currently running with the equivalent of their latest 3401.  I managed to pull off one of the feet (I really had to work at it, too.  No idea what I was thinking.)  and they sent me a set of replacements for free.

Great service.

Very pleased.

I don't know about their heads.  I like my kirk BH-3.

ARD

• http://
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 03:57:57 pm »

I have a Velbon carbon fiber  Neo Carmagne 840 with a Velbon PH-285 head. It isn't a ball head as I got fed up with ball heads not being in the right position when I needed to reposition to vertical. That notch is never where I want it to be.  This head is made to set up for either lefties or righties as the handles can be moved to the other side.  This is pretty much the best setup I have ever had and hopefully the last one I will ever need.

It holds my 1Ds with a 70-200 lens tight enough for 25 second exposures in Antelope Canyon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Got a Velbon too, rock solid and easy to operate

bellimages

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:17:10 pm »

www.feisol.com

The components look v-e-r-y  similar to my Giottos tripod.

I'm really surprised that Feisol only sells direct. So, there is no way to try one before making a purchase.

And, did you notice ..... if you need any warranty work done, you have to return the tripod to Taiwan. That would be a big minus.

bellimages

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36:48 pm »

Follow-up .....

This might help someone else ... I sprayed some WD40 on a cotton cloth, then rubbed it on the legs of my tripod. It left an undetectible film of lubricant on the legs. They now work a lot easier.

I purchased a Giottos carbon fiber tripod a year ago with their ball head. After using it on two extended photo shoots (on location), I have decided that I do not like it. The legs are extremely difficult to open. I continually fight them, especially if they have become damp, or wet. It seems that a suction forms inside the legs .... keep them from extending easily.

Their ball head is also combersome to use. I have to unscrew 2 knobs to move the camera. I've seen people using ball heads that are more simply adjusted.

If I am going to replace it, what brand do you all recommend? And, what type ball head?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:20 pm »

www.feisol.com

The components look v-e-r-y  similar to my Giottos tripod.

I'm really surprised that Feisol only sells direct. So, there is no way to try one before making a purchase.

And, did you notice ..... if you need any warranty work done, you have to return the tripod to Taiwan. That would be a big minus.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100772\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The only things I've needed they shipped to me.

If you need same day support of your tripod I'd recommend getting a bogen or a gitzo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:11:31 pm by DarkPenguin »

GregW

• http://
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 02:25:37 pm »

Based on my experience of 2 carbon fibre Gitzo tripods and one monopod I wouldn't recomend anything else.  The material quality and workmanship in all three are excellent.  They can also take a real hamering.  All I ever do is wipe them down if they get particually dirty.  

http://www.nikonians.org/tripods/ have some really good info on tripod selection and quite a bit on particular Gitzo models.

Chipper

• http://www.royalflamingoworks.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 07:27:25 am »

Bogen/Manfrotto 055MF3 (magfiber) with a Bogen head? Which one? You never said what you shoot with.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Currently shoot with a Pentax *iST-D and Pentax lens.  Purchased this heavy duty tripod cause I'm planning on moving up to a Cannon with EF 24-70 and EF 70-200 lens and I wanted better stability.
Still very much an amateur and I want better equipment before I start selling my work.
Chipper

ceyman

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 01:07:56 pm »

wow, those feisols look great! any hands on experience?

dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ordered the CT-3441 with the CB-30 ball head because I wanted a light rig for backpacking.  (As I get older "Only an extra pound" becomes "Not another ounce!".)

I received acknowledgement by email immediately, and the tripod arrived a few days later.  The total weight with ball head is only 2.5 lb, a full pound less than my old travel pod, it packs up shorter, extends higher, and is more rigid.  It even comes with a weight hook and allen wrench included in the bag.  I'm delighted.

I use a 5D & my heaviest lens is the 70-200/f2.8 with a 2x extender.  With that rig I expect some vibration in a strong wind but I never thought this would be a studio tripod.

The only place I expect problems is the rubber grips on the leg-locks.  They are really just knurled rubber bands held in place by their elasticity.  They have caught on the bag a couple of times when I was putting it in and I expect they will eventually tear.  I'm considering some rubber cement under them.  I may write Feisol & ask what they think, but I'll have to wait til after Chinese New Year.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:08:54 pm by ceyman »

augg

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 06:27:31 pm »

That's exactly the feisel tripod i was thinking of ordering. Thanks for your comments.

dan

Quote from: ceyman,Feb 17 2007, 02:07 PM
I ordered the CT-3441 with the CB-30 ball head because I wanted a light rig for backpacking.  (As I get older "Only an extra pound" becomes "Not another ounce!".)
Pages: [1]   Go Up