Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD case  (Read 3472 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Mamiya ZD case
« on: February 09, 2007, 03:13:57 pm »

I was curious, which case do you find most suitable for Mamiya ZD?
So far I came up with Pelican Case 1510. It seems to allow ZD to be standing up with a lens (80 or 150mm) mounted. This way lens does not need to be removed every time camera goes into the case (hence, less dust on the sensor).

Feedback is greatly appreciated,
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 07:32:33 am by MichaelEzra »

howiesmith

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:03:29 pm »

I was curious, which case do you find most suitable for Mamiya ZD?
So far I came up with Pelican Case 1550. It seems to allow ZD to be standing up with a lens (80 or 150mm) mounted. This way lens does not need to be removed every time camera goes into the case (hence, less dust on the sensor).

Feedback is greatly appreciated,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No experience with this case or camera.  But I have used Pelicans for years and find them water proof and maybe even bomb proof.  One Pelican was tied to a raft rowing frame.  The raft flipped and the case was lost for a few months.  The handle was intact with the 1" nylon tiedown remnent attached.  Took one on a small plane.  The low pressure caused the box to burp.  Had to pry it oprn with a screw driver when we all got to earth.

Very rugid and dry box.

MichaelEzra

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 04:10:37 pm »

Thanks for the info. Impressive:)
My only concern though is that ZD is 6" tall and the case is 7.5" high in the interior. Would 1.5" (0.75" on top and 0.75" on bottom) of foam be sufficient to protect the ZD?

howiesmith

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 04:41:36 pm »

My only concern though is that ZD is 6" tall and the case is 7.5" high in the interior. Would 1.5" (0.75" on top and 0.75" on bottom) of foam be sufficient to protect the ZD?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think so.  The hard case takes most of the punishment.  Foam only isolates the stuff inside from the case.  You might check with Pelican.

I have to admit my main concerns were water and dirt.  The box lost from the raft was found about 6 months later (in a tree), and the camera was dry and worked just fine.  I'm reasonably sure the camera and box endured a lot.  I have no idea how much foam seperated the camera from the box, but I don't think that is what saved the Nikon.

David Blankenship

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:52:40 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Put the camera near one of the four corners of the pelican case, that is where the stongest points of the case are. If you put the camera in the center the case flexes a lot there and could get compression damage from standing on the case or from impact.  A better pelican case choice would be the 1600 model for the Mamiya ZD.

Best,
db

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:24:56 pm »

i had my underwater housing smashed the other day during transit on a flight. it was in a 1600 pelican case.( without its dome, its got the same depth as a zd-approx, with its lens).
it was sitting in the middle of the case, and had about 1 1/2-2 inches of foam either side of it.
im amazed how it could be smashed, as i can stand ontop of the case and it only distorts a little.
i figure its had a heavy box fall ontop of it right in the center of the case. i still find it hard to belive, as the housing is very strong.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

howiesmith

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:30:58 pm »

i had my underwater housing smashed the other day during transit on a flight. it was in a 1600 pelican case.( without its dome, its got the same depth as a zd-approx, with its lens).
it was sitting in the middle of the case, and had about 1 1/2-2 inches of foam either side of it.
im amazed how it could be smashed, as i can stand ontop of the case and it only distorts a little.
i figure its had a heavy box fall ontop of it right in the center of the case. i still find it hard to belive, as the housing is very strong.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This does seem strange.  Was the outside of the box dinged up?

MichaelEzra

Mamiya ZD case
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:31:52 am »

Thank you for all of your input. I am curious if Pelican Case 1600 could be permitted as a carryon, Pelican claims that 1510 is tha largest legal carryon. Any exprience there?
Pages: [1]   Go Up