Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction and a simple question  (Read 2379 times)

tetsuo77

Introduction and a simple question
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:18:57 pm »

Dear all
Got to have a first message, sort of.
A big greeting to everybody, though specially for the owner of the site, which takes ages to put together.

Just got a question, regarding the photo gear. However, first of all I have to mention that I am NOT a professional photographer [though had followed quite some courses about it].

Surprisingly, and problably because I am not a pro, I am looking forward to downgrade my equipment. I got sort of fed up of perfection. I usually carry on with me a Pentax *ist DS, wherever I go. The funny thing is that, apart from a standard prime zoom, I want something which is bad enough to make me focus in the composition, not on the technical capabilities of the very camera.

Does anybody know any avaliable new lens which is bad enough, has all the cons, but still is fully usable lens?

The question sounds funny, but it actually makes sense.
The first thing is that I don´t want to post process too much. Not enough time for it.
The second point is that I don´t want a chipped or damaged second hand lens. I just want a bad lens. And all the new ones I can get [currently I live in Rotterdam] are just too good.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Thank you very much
Cheers.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:51:35 pm »

Just get a lensbaby, that ought to do the trick  

http://www.lensbabies.com/index.php?r=GSLensbaby

Paul

dobson

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:00:26 pm »

Or you could find a broken lens. Should be able to get one for real cheap. I had some interesting results with a 50mm 1.8 that had the front elements fall out. I reversed those elements and had some cool vignetting/soft corners. Similar to a lensbaby but much cheaper and harder to use.

Phillip

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:56:15 pm »

How about a Holga, if you don't mind film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holga

Paul
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:58:54 pm by PaulS »

tetsuo77

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:29:14 pm »

Thank you very much all.
The suggestions seem quite right. However, my only problem is about lifestyle [can´t help not liking that expression. Lifestyle... seems a bit overrated term to me].

I don´t have so much time to go back to film [though I love it]. The main reason for asking for advice regarding the lens is that of not having to abandon my laptop.  

Lensbaby sounds a good tip, though. I´ll have to see if any avaliable in Holland.

It´s funny [yep, here it goes a brain squeezing paragraph]. Though most of people surrounding me are freaking about all the data of a body or a lens, I actually think that, in my very case, my camera fully surpasses my capabilities. So I have to go to the very basics.

It gets pleasant to see that noise, jpeg artifacts and so on can sometimes really enhance the end result.

Thank you Paul as well for the Holga tip. It´s a little bit bulky, but I´ll bear it in mind.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up