Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real World P30 Unretouched Images  (Read 13970 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
Real World P30 Unretouched Images
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 12:24:38 am »

Ben, with the price of a P21+ back almost the same as the p30 back, how did you make you decision ?

and who was it again that fixed you up with the p30 back ?

cheers
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 12:24:54 am by rueyloon »

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2007, 11:45:48 am »

I really was torn between the P21 and the P30 for a while. The P21 really is enough resolution for most things I do, but the big thing for me was the smaller microns in the P30 that helps alot in the moire department. I was tired of staying up nights correcting moire from my Canon 1Ds after shooting tight nit clothing. The other thing that was a big factor was Jason Smith at Global Imaging Inc. out of Boulder CO 1.800.787.9807 ext. 139 hooking me up with the P30. I got a brand new P30 classic kit with 2 days of training at my studio plus C1 Pro for only about $4000.00 more than the P21. To me that was a deal I couldn't refuse.
Hope this helps,

Ben Edmonson
www.benedmonson.com

Ben, with the price of a P21+ back almost the same as the p30 back, how did you make you decision ?

and who was it again that fixed you up with the p30 back ?

cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 12:11:53 pm »

Are the P30 (and soon to be P30+) strictly for fashion and portraits?  Do the micro-lenses compromise the sharpness like an AA filter on a dSLR?  Calumet had the P30 listed for the less than a P25... I'm not understanding why.  I know the P30 has a high crop factor, so does it make the price that much cheaper?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99971\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, the P30 back is cheaper because the P30 sensor chip is quite a bit smaller than the P25 chip (the smaller the chip, the more they get on a wafer, and the lower the cost of the chip). The cost of the sensor chip is a big part of the cost of the back. Obviously there are other factors that go into determining the cost of the back, but the size of the sensor chip is one of the biggest factors.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2007, 02:21:35 pm »

John, the P30 back is cheaper because the P30 sensor chip is quite a bit smaller than the P25 chip (the smaller the chip, the more they get on a wafer, and the lower the cost of the chip). The cost of the sensor chip is a big part of the cost of the back. Obviously there are other factors that go into determining the cost of the back, but the size of the sensor chip is one of the biggest factors.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=100198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a 1Ds2 (and a 1Ds before) so Canon has already taken care of "sensor size : price 101" course   I was just surprised in this case that a 22 MP P25 is around $20k vs a 31 MP P30 is $16k.  The P25 comes with a very, very hefty premium...  I believe the local rep here quoted:

P20:  $  7,990 - $1000 discount for a Mamiya
P21:  $11,990 - $1000 ...
P25:  $19,999 - $1000 ...

I need to double check the P25 price again because I had a mental shut-down as soon as he said the price...!...  In contrast the P30 begins to look like a relative bargain.  I don't need ultra wide, so the crop factor would be workable, though, a reduced viewfinder does spoil some of the fun.

Maybe PMA will bring some news about a Canon 1Ds3; having that information will help alot in my decision process.  My choices are -

- Keep the 1Ds2 and buy the AFD II kit w/ a P20 for $8990
- Sell the 1Ds2 & lenses and go for a P25 or P30
- Upgrade to a 1Ds3 assuming the upgrade is substantial enough to justify the investment

The P25 or P30 back would be used, purchased from a local dealer.  He doesn't what the price would be yet because the "+" models aren't shipping yet, thus they don't have any of the P25 or P30 exchanges yet.  He also Phase One may take the exchanges back and update them.  So all of that is a big unknown too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up