Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf5000: ugly yellow cast on prints  (Read 7621 times)

cnibley

ipf5000: ugly yellow cast on prints
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »

Hello All,

I make profiles with my Eye One Photo and they've been excellent on my Epsons and HPs. But on my Canon ipf5000, I'm getting an ugly yellow cast on my prints using the Photo Plug-in (I've also tried the Booksmart Studio profiles for the 5000 and my paper with the same result).

I have heard of this problem from a couple of other users, but I know people are getting good results from custom profiles, so I don't know what's wrong.

I have the latest firmware, drivers & plug-in software (CD from Canon). I'm on winxp.

What's odd is that if I use the Photoshop 8bit output to the Canon, even with the 16bit profile, it looks great, so I don't think it's the profile, printer or inks.

My workflow:

I Export my image to iPF5000 Print Plug-In.

It's set for the Canon iPF5000. I set the correct media type (I'm using Canon paper) and always run High Accuracy 600ppi and Highest Gradation 16bit.

In Output Profile, I put the correct profile from the drop down box (I've tried all the Matching Methods, I know that the black point comp. doesn't work in rel. Color in the plug-in).

In Color Settings everything is set to zero and no tone curve.

I test it by enlarging a section of my image in the Preview window.

Here's where it gets weird: I "Perform Proof in Preview" and it looks perfect, just like the Soft Proof I did in Photoshop with the same printer profile, yet when I print it, it prints with this strong yellow cast.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It should work.

Thanks for all of your help.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:32:07 pm by cnibley »

Tony B.

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:08:41 am »

In Color Settings have you went to the matching tab and turn it off?  You mentioned you have tried all settings.  How did you make your own profiles?  It seems that turning the matching off is how you disable color managment for this printer.  So your profile targets should be printed with this off.

Hope that helps

Tony B.

Bill J

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:20:51 am »

In Color Settings have you went to the matching tab and turn it off?  You mentioned you have tried all settings.  How did you make your own profiles?  It seems that turning the matching off is how you disable color managment for this printer.  So your profile targets should be printed with this off.

Hope that helps

Tony B.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you go to Print History in the Export Plug-In, then click on the Details button, you can check the color settings for every image you've sent to the printer. You should be able to determinie if you printed the targets without any color profile.

This saved me some trouble several weeks ago. I printed some images with a tone curve applied to bring out more shadow detail, then I printed some profiling targets before I realized the tone curve was still there. I wasn't sure how many I would have to re-print. Four? Six, just to be sure? Using Print History, I saw there were only 3 targets printed with the tone curve. Since I labeled each target with the date, it was easy to identify the ones to re-print. Great feature.

Bill

cnibley

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:03:37 pm »

Tony, You're refering to the Photoshop driver which isn't used for 16bit printing.

I print profile targets from the Plug-In with the Output Profile set to None. (I did check my Print History Details, which is a great feature) and all curves and color settings set to 0 (zero).

Unfortunately, I'm printing from the 8bit photoshop driver as I need to get prints out now.

If someone is using custom profiles through the Plug-In, I'd love to hear what the're doing to make it work.

Still, I will be the first in line at PMA when ColorByte is selling their RIP for the 5000.

Chris

vjbelle

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:13:59 pm »

I also used i1 photo on my iPF8000 and got the same results - a yellow/green cast that I was able to get out after editing the profile.  I migrated to Profile Maker and the results were much better but still a slight yellow/green cast.  Once again I edited the profile and the results are very accurate.  This did not occur on my Epson 7600 and I don't know why my Canon is afflicted with this cast.  However, the slight tweaking (very slight) that I did removed the cast completely and really got me to the point of printing very accurately.  B&W is extremely neutral using my edited profile.  I don't proof with the edited profile - only print with it.  I proof with the original (unedited) profile generated by Profile Maker with the large chart.  I use the plug in exclusively with the exact settings that you use.  

The editing process in i1 Photo is not as precise as Profile Maker but should allow you to print without the cast.  

Hopes this helps.

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:23:32 pm »

Still, I will be the first in line at PMA when ColorByte is selling their RIP for the 5000.

I wouldn't be so fast to part with that money.... No matter what that Rip will only get you into the window.  You will still have to profile even when using the rip.  You may as well upgrade to Profile Maker and 'really' have control over the output process.

My ColorByte Rip will be for sale.

Victor

cnibley

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:32:20 pm »

Victor,

Thanks for the great input.

I thinking that it's not the profiles or profiling, but the the Canon Plug-In that's the problem. When I print 8bit from the Photoshop driver, the profiles are fine.

I have also tried the Booksmart Studio profiles (which are well made) on the 5000 and get the same results as my profiles.

I have a pile of wide printers here (HP & Epson, dye & pigment) and my i1 profiles have always looked great.

It's also very weird that the Yellow/Green cast I get on paper, looks JUST like the monitor in Photoshop when the Soft Proof Condition is set to "Preserve RGB Numbers". What's with that?

Although, I agree that upgrading to Profile Maker is a great idea, perhaps using a good RIP like ColorByte avoids the Canon Plug-In, that I'm thinking is the problem in the first place.

Chris

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 05:50:40 pm »

Chris,

What Canon paper and what media type are you using?  I may try to duplicate this myself.

--John
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:51:24 pm by John Hollenberg »

David White

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:21:10 pm »

I've seen this problem a couple times in the past.  It seemed like it would just start doing this for no reason.  It definitely isn't the profile causing the problem.  It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that the fix was to reinstall the 16-bit plug-in.  I went through all the steps that you have and then some for troubleshooting and everything was correct, but there was an ugly cast on the prints.  I can't remember anything else that I did aside from the reinstall that fixed the problem.

Try a reinstall and see if that fixes it for you.  I can't recall anything else I did that might have fixed it.
David White

cnibley

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:23:20 pm »

I have actually reinstalled the software... twice.  Plus, I retried the older version of the driver and Plugin, same problem.

Again the profiles work great from the Photoshop driver, Just not the Canon Plug-In.

I've been profiling with rolls of Canon Satin 190 and Moab photo satin 235.

Thanks,
Chris

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:37 pm »

I have actually reinstalled the software... twice.  Plus, I retried the older version of the driver and Plugin, same problem.

Again the profiles work great from the Photoshop driver, Just not the Canon Plug-In.

Have you contacted Canon Tech Support?  Sounds like you know what you are doing, which means there could be (another) bug in the Photoshop plugin.  I will try making a profile this weekend with Profilemaker Pro to see what results I get.  I have a roll of the Heavyweight Photo Satin to play with.

--John

emowake77

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:33:55 pm »

I have been making custom profiles (and have a couple friends using the same setup) for multable different papers (including Canon Satin) using a Pulse ColorElite system without any color cast problems (I use the Photoshop 16 bit Plugin.) so I dont think its a bug.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:36:15 pm by emowake77 »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 11:52:54 pm »

I have been making custom profiles (and have a couple friends using the same setup) for multable different papers (including Canon Satin) using a Pulse ColorElite system without any color cast problems (I use the Photoshop 16 bit Plugin.) so I dont think its a bug.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

--John

cnibley

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 11:49:10 am »

Have you contacted Canon Tech Support?

I have and Canon said they're not responsible for third party software.

andrewshults

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »

I have actually reinstalled the software... twice.  Plus, I retried the older version of the driver and Plugin, same problem.

Thanks,
Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you printing the profile patches through the 16bit plugin or the 8bit OS driver? It is my understanding that the plugin and the OS driver use different ways of laying down the ink, so profiles generated for one are not "compatible" with the other.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:38:14 pm by andrewshults »

emowake77

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:23 pm »

Are you on Windows or Mac?

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Windows XP

cnibley

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:18:56 pm »

I always create my test targets through the 16bit Canon Plug-In.  I never add a color space to the targets in Photoshop and always print with the color management off.

I have, like 4 wide printers here that profile fine.

Chris (win xp)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 09:09:02 pm »

Chris,

I finally got my custom profiles made (Eye One Pro and Profilemaker Pro) and tested Heavyweight Satin Photo Paper through both the driver and the plugin.  Only printed one image so far, but the prints show absolutely no color cast--they match the softproof in Photoshop perfectly.  The prints made through the plugin and the driver are identical.  For more detail on how I did this test, see this Wiki thread:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/275183

Sorry, but I can't reproduce your problem (good for me, bad for you).

--John

cnibley

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 07:33:48 pm »

John,

Thanks for all the good works!

For now, I'm using the os driver, which profiles perfectly with my I1 Match so the 5000 is working ok for now.

As a lot of new stuff will be debuted at PMA next month, I'm just gonna wait and see what come alongs. And when I upgrade to Vista, that will require a major change in color management software.

C.

cnibley

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:03 pm »

John,

Also, as you have profiling software with a lot more adjustment parameters then I do, maybe my color problems are related to the profiling software I'm using.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up