Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 4/3 bodies  (Read 2060 times)

BJL

New 4/3 bodies
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:09:23 pm »

Since some people seem to like such discussions, I might as well create a place for speculations (and even possible real information) about what is likely to be coming soon for FourThirds bodies and lenses.

To start the ball rolling, apart from the "E-1 successor" that Olympus has talked about a lot, and has shown a mock-up of, the strongest signs so far are of Olympus releasing world-wide an E-410 body: something similar to the current Europe-only E-400, but with the addition of LiveView (as in the E-330).

Sources: partly a few items about the E-410 that briefly appeared on the Olympus Australia web-site before being removed, along with numerous stories of Olympus rep's saying that they have been briefed vaguely on plans including an E-410 (along with an E-510 replacing the E-500, with LiveView and sensor based stabilization, and a third higher level body, which I call the "next generation E-1" for want of a unique rumored name). There were also multiple stories some time ago of Olympus rep's saying that they had been trained on the E-400 before it came out and that the training included LiveView, though as it turned out the E-400 does not have that.

My broader speculation: DSLR's will start using more of the specific capabilities of electronic sensors (as digicams already do) rather than just using a sensor like a piece of "reusable silicon film", with other parts of the bodies and the lenses still being much as with film cameras. I expect to see more experiments with options like electronic shuttering, video output, binning, and so on in SLRs. Maybe at the entry level first, where customers moving up from digicams might be more accepting of such novelties, or even be asking for them.

Next, maybe some people need to start Sony and Pentax SLR speculation threads! Canon and Nikon should not have all the fun. Or are there no Pentax or Konica-Minolta/Sony SLR users in these forums?
Pages: [1]   Go Up