I am having a bit of trouble installing the firmware update. Previous upgrades seemed straightforward. I am on version 4.42 at the moment (eMotion 22).
I download the file to the desktop where it lands in a folder called 503_0_sbe_fw_445, which contains a txt file and a dmg file. The dmg file opens to a disk image on the desktop called firmware, but I don't seem to be able to do anything with it.
Yes, when you download the file you get the folder named "503_0_sbe_fw_445".
In this folder you then have:
- the "eMotion_Firmware445 ReadMe.txt" Read Me file: includes all the information you need to know about for this particular firmware update
- A file called "Firmware445.dmg": this contains, in a compressed way the actual firmeware: you have to double-click it and then it expends and mounts a "disk" on your desktop called "Firmware": inside you have the firmware file called "Sinarback-eMotion-Firmware-Update".
If you don't arrive at this point: you should re-try to download, because most probably the file has been corrupted during download.
To load the new firmware to your eMotion:
- Connect the eMotion to your Mac via Firewire cable
- Start the eMotion by pressing the "Power" knob
- Double-click the file "Sinarback-eMotion-Firmware-Update":
A window should nw automatically open, giving you the current firmware of your eMotio and asking you to "update" by clicking the button.
IMPORTANT REMARKS: pls. read carefully
a. In case of connection problems
It might happen that your eMotion does not connect with your 10m FW cable: this is due to less voltage provided by the FW-ports on the recent and newest Macs (in particular the MacBook Pro's, Intel or Power-PC AND the latest iMacs, on which even one port might work and the other not).
--> the solution to this:
- put always a battery inside your eMotion (partially or totaly charged)
- use a shorter FW cable (Sinar provides one of 4.5m)
b. Apple BUG with the OSX.4.8 INTEL of the MacBook Pro computers
A Bug recognized by Apple makes it impossible to update the firmware of the eMotion when using a MacBook Pro with Intel Processors and with OSX 4.8.
Non-Intel Macs with OSX 4.8. DO NOT have this problem, as well as any other OSX version, Intel or not.
Mac has announced a bug fixed with the next OS Update to come for Intel Macs.
WORKAROUND: like myself, use another Mac (with Power PC inside) or ANY other version of OSX Intel
I hope this answers and do not hesitate to contact me again in case of still having difficulties to update your eMotion.
Sinar AG Switzerland