Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF-5000: problem with the tray and roller  (Read 3561 times)

dmg

IPF-5000: problem with the tray and roller
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:01:55 am »

I took slightly more than a month for my roll holder to arrive.

I am currently using Canon Heavyweight Satin paper and I think it is a great paper at its price point. The prints are amazing...

but...

I can't load paper using the tray any more. I am calling tech support tomorrow (they don't work during the weekend).

For those who do not have a roll-holder, I think I have discovered a method to determine if you have the problem already.

Before I installed the roll-holder I needed to insert a sheet of paper (using the tray) deep down, otherwise the printer will not accept it. From the wiki and other descriptions, the printer should "grab" the paper right from its edge, not until you push it in 10-15 centimeters.

Once the roll-holder is present, every time I print the printer complains about "Paper Jam" and I need to eject the paper. To get it accepted by the printer I need to really insert the paper down, otherwise it "cannot detect paper".

It is annoying, but the prints are beautiful.

daniel,
--
daniel german
http://silvernegative.com
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:38:59 am by dmg »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:26:51 am »

You can't load paper using the tray when the roll feed unit is attached, or when you put the "regular" tray back on?  I have the former problem, but can print fine from the regular tray if I remove the roll feed holder.  Canon is sending me a replacement roll feed unit.

--John

dmg

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:33:49 am »

You can't load paper using the tray when the roll feed unit is attached, or when you put the "regular" tray back on?  I have the former problem, but can print fine from the regular tray if I remove the roll feed holder.  Canon is sending me a replacement roll feed unit.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi John,

To be more explicit:

Without the roller holder attached: I was able to load paper using the tray, but I had to insert the paper way into the printer (around 15cms) for it to be grabbed. It worked most of the time.

With the roller holder attached: I cannot load paper using the tray.

dmg

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:48:13 am »

Hi John,

To be more explicit:
Without the roller holder attached: I was able to load paper using the tray, but I had to insert the paper way into the printer (around 15cms) for it to be grabbed. It worked most of the time.

With the roller holder attached: I cannot load paper using the tray.

dmg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99224\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds exactly like my problem.  The first part was fixed with new firmware 1.23.  The second (can't feed from tray with roll holder attached) will presumably be fixed with my new roll feed unit that is being shipped from Canon.

--John

dmg

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

Here is the update to my saga.

I called Canon Canada and it was all smooth. The service rep was very receptive and recognized that there was probably a mechanical problem.

The next day I faxed my invoice and I received a call from a company in Vancouver that does the service work in the name of Canon.

Today a service person came from Vancouver to Victoria only to fix my printer (it is a 4hrs trip each way). The cost of the service visit is probably higher than the retail price for the roll holder!

It took him some time fiddling with the little gears, but by the time he left the printer was properly working. Apparently it wasn't the first time he had fixed this problem.

Overall I rate the service I got as excellent. The service person was knowledgeable and friendly, and Canon service accepted the problem immediately. And, of course, my printer is working as expected.

It seems that the problem is that some gears in the roll holder are not properly set (which is in line with the problems reported by other people). He did not have to do anything to the printer itself.

I hope this is the end to this problem (at least for me).

daniel

dmg

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:41:44 pm »

After 2 weks of no problems, the roll feeder is misbehaving again. The problem is the same: it is difficult to get the roll loaded, and impossible to print from the top tray. Why does it always happen on a weekend? Canon should just ditch all these faulty roll holders and fix the design/manufacturing problem. It is annoying.

dmg

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 11:41:35 pm »

After 2 weks of no problems, the roll feeder is misbehaving again. The problem is the same: it is difficult to get the roll loaded, and impossible to print from the top tray. Why does it always happen on a weekend? Canon should just ditch all these faulty roll holders and fix the design/manufacturing problem. It is annoying.

I got a replacement roll feed unit, which had the same problem.  It was finally fixed (I think), by replacing the gears (new ones have a retainer to keep gears from slipping off), and also replacing a broken part on the Paper Release mechanism.  There are 4 reports of this exact same part being broken so far--I think the protection isn't adequate for this part during shipping.  At first, I thought it was unrelated, but the tech that came to fix it thought it was the cause of my problem.  More details (and photo) on front page of the Wiki:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John

dmg

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 03:47:30 am »

I got a replacement roll feed unit, which had the same problem.  It was finally fixed (I think), by replacing the gears (new ones have a retainer to keep gears from slipping off), and also replacing a broken part on the Paper Release mechanism.  There are 4 reports of this exact same part being broken so far--I think the protection isn't adequate for this part during shipping.  At first, I thought it was unrelated, but the tech that came to fix it thought it was the cause of my problem.  More details (and photo) on front page of the Wiki:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=103159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks John,

It will be interesting to see if Canon sends a repair person again. It is certainly more expensive than shipping a new part.

I'll post an update when I have news.

dmg
Pages: [1]   Go Up