Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata editing  (Read 4113 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Metadata editing
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:31:10 am »

Does anyone know if Lightroom 1 will be able to edit EXIF metadata ?

It would be nice to be able to pull in scans from film cameras and add the camera model into the file's EXIF data when importing to aid sorting in LR later.

Ta

Paul

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Metadata editing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:09:30 am »

No. But you could set up a Collection for your cameras which would achieve the same end.

LR is mainly for images captured by digital cameras, and there aren't many mainstream apps that allow you to edit the Exif. Not tried them, but Exifer or Exiftools?

John

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
Metadata editing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:52 am »

Does anyone know if Lightroom 1 will be able to edit EXIF metadata ?

It would be nice to be able to pull in scans from film cameras and add the camera model into the file's EXIF data when importing to aid sorting in LR later.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can edit Capture Time and Date, mainly for adjusting files you have scanned.
Richard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Metadata editing
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

But not the camera, which is what Paul needs, so his requirement is probably best met with Collections.

Edits to capture time can be written back to the file's XMP metadata though there is still some audit trail.

John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Metadata editing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:37:52 am »

No. But you could set up a Collection for your cameras which would achieve the same end.
Shame. I was just hoping it might be really easy and would avoid having to create collections, as they could be sorted later via metadata
LR is mainly for images captured by digital cameras
Sure, but the cataloging options look so good I'm hoping that it will act as my main image cataloguing program as well as handling RAW conversions. I intend to add all new work including film shoots into the library as they're digitised.
there aren't many mainstream apps that allow you to edit the Exif. Not tried them, but Exifer or Exiftools?
So I'm finding out. ACDSee Pro seems capable of it, as does Opanda PowerExif Pro. Exifer won't handle TIFF files, and Exiftools is a perl utility that won't be easy enough to use here.

It would be rather nice if LR had more control over EXIF data. I can understand why adding to it might not be a major priority, but I think control over what data is carried across in export would be a very useful addition.

Thanks
Paul

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Metadata editing
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:41:04 am »

That's why I mentioned those exif command line tools.

You might be able to do something with Bridge and hacked metadata templates, but I tried and it couldn't get anything to work .

John

mats

Metadata editing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:45:50 am »

If you only need the ifo to find these shots again later then all you need to do is give then a keyword ( maybe the camera name) during import.
You will then be able to sort using keywords rather than exif data.
It is very easy to add shot specific keywords during import.
Not sure if I mised something but the way I understod your question that should work quite well

Mats

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Metadata editing
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 03:00:49 am »

Misusing keywords would work too. You'd have to edit your keyword so it doesn't get written into the file or into any output files. But there's no need to abuse fields designed for description - Collections are meant for whatever you want, and I'm sure you'll find one utility that lets you rewrite the exif.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up