Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 4000  (Read 3021 times)

shill

epson 4000
« on: February 03, 2007, 01:05:33 pm »

My 4000 like a lot when not used has clogging problems.  I've been able to work them out by running a head cleaning, followed by just printing something, followed by another head cleaning if necessary.  I've never had to resort to a power cleaning.  I've been told to turn the printer off when not in use but now I see mention of leaving it on and wondered what the latest wisdom is on this.
thanks in advance
sh

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
epson 4000
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:00:58 pm »

As far as I know, the advice for Epson is to power down, that ensures a proper seating/seal of the heads.

shill

epson 4000
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:09:51 pm »

As far as I know, the advice for Epson is to power down, that ensures a proper seating/seal of the heads.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim thanks for your reply.  That's the procedure we use at the college where I teach but I have heard other folks say that never turn there's off and never have clogging problems.
thanks again
scot

Tim Gray

epson 4000
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 02:53:01 pm »

One cause for more than average clogs (what ever that means) is a mis-seating of the cover on power down.  If the unit is used every day, the power down might not play as important role as when you print only every week or so (like me).

shill

epson 4000
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 03:08:15 pm »

One cause for more than average clogs (what ever that means) is a mis-seating of the cover on power down.  If the unit is used every day, the power down might not play as important role as when you print only every week or so (like me).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tim I've never heard that term.  
what is it and is it preventable or able to be corrected/detectedthanks
Scot

Tim Gray

epson 4000
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:02:55 pm »

I'm not sure what the technical term is, but I've seen a number of threads where a service call to Epson fixed the way the heads seat into the power off position, creating a seal that prevents drying out (one of the frequent causes of clogging).  In any event I believe it requires professional service from Epson.  

I have a 4000 with what I guess is slightly above average clogging (basically for every ml of ink laid down on paper .8 ends up being used in cleaning - this ratio includes one power clean in the last 12 months) - but also reflects the inordinate cleaning I incurred before I bit the bullet and did a power clean.  So far I haven't been motivated to get into the guts of the head or seating arrangement....

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
epson 4000
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 06:05:31 pm »

Where do you live? In the SW clogging at some times of the year are a real problem. I have decided to turn mine off when not in use. Even in sleep mode there is some slight heat generated that contributes to drying out the heads. At least this seems to be true. In addition I put a guitar humidifier next to the head and cover the printer in plastic when humidity drops very low. These are just tricks I have learned that work for me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:24:33 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

shill

epson 4000
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 06:31:20 pm »

Where do you live? In the SW clogging at some times of the year are a real problem. I have decided to turn mine off when not in use. Even in sleep mode there is some slight heat generated that contributes to drying out the heads. At least this seems to be true. In addition I put a guitar humidifier next to the head and cover the printer in plastic when humidity drops very low. These a re just tricks I have learned that work for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good advice.  I live in Austin so I have plenty of humidity.  The clogging really isn't a problem if I use the printer 3 or 4 times a week.  If it's longer than that I get clogged heads.  The best advice I found was what I mentioned earlier.  I never run the automated cleaning cycle and I print something between cycles instead of just piling up cleaning cycles and this works.  
Thanks for the information from both of you.  I'm looking down the road at canon or hp for my next printer.
thanks
Scot

MADCAT

epson 4000
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:20:35 am »

My 4000 is currently being looked at by the the local service agent, I thought it was fixed but the problem with my missing magenta has returned .

Last week I asked the technician exactly what you are asking. His recommendation was to turn it on when using it and off when not using it. He also told me that the head will park and seal itself in the capping unit whether the printer is on or off. Another thing he told me is that is you leave the printer on when not in use it will go through periodic cleaning cycles and waste more ink.
[span style='color:black'][span style='f
Pages: [1]   Go Up