Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 Tray Feed Won't Work with Roll Unit  (Read 3158 times)

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 Tray Feed Won't Work with Roll Unit
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:23:51 pm »

Well, here is my saga so far trying to get my roll feed holder fixed:

1) Tech comes out, sees that no paper will feed from top tray when roll feed holder is installed. He can't find anything wrong, it just doesn't work.  If roll feed unit is removed and regular top tray attachment is put back on, works fine.

2) Tech has to ask Canon what to do. I am supposed to hear back by Tuesday of following week (it was Friday).

3) Call Canon Wednesday. They can see I have an open ticket, but don't know anything about it. They promise the tech support company will call.

4) No response. Call Canon Thursday AM. They tell me that if company doesn't call within the hour to call them back. Company calls, states that parts have been ordered and fortunately parts aren't back ordered. I point out that parts should be received by them Thursday (next business day), so they can come out Friday AM. Guy hems and haws, then says the tech "can't fit Friday into his schedule" and will come out the following Friday to replace the parts.

5) Friday AM (today) I call Canon to complain about the lousy support and the fact the service company has not denied that they have the parts, but "won't be able to get to it". Later in the morning, the tech support company rep calls and apologizes. He informs me that the needed parts are on back order for 4 weeks!!!

6) I call Canon back and point out that the roll feed holder was defective from the day I bought it (due to either a design defect or manufacturing problem) and request that Canon send me a replacement roll feed unit as I am not willing to wait for 4 weeks. The Canon tech politely tells me that Canon won't do that.

7) I ask to speak to a supervisor and point out how unreasonable their position is, and that taking such a position will be very bad for their business in the long term. The supervisor asks what parts need to be replaced. I tell him that the service tech didn't know what to do and had to ask Canon how to proceed. If they don't know what they told the service tech to order, I can't help them :-) The supervisor says he has to research the problem.

8) Less than 5 minutes later the same Canon support tech who told me that Canon won't replace the roll feed unit calls back. He is sending out a replacement for my defective roll feed unit--which is what the service tech was recommending to them! I expect to get the replacement roll feed unit next week.

Summary: a tremendous amount of hassle to get service on a defective part, but ultimately successful.

Comment: very concerning that parts are back-ordered 4 weeks.  This suggests a serious problem with supply, or perhaps a re-design of some parts as there have been multiple reports on the Wiki of this problem.  Is Canon prepared to service their printers "next business day" or is it "next business month???    

--John

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:29:06 pm »

Hi John,

I hope you get that sorted out...

I've always found Canon ( at least here in Oz ) to be very good with problems, but I think what's going wrong here is that the units have been put to market before the bugs were ironed out, IMO Canon need to put a little more time into the firmwear and printed manuals before the sell this stuff..

Bill J

• http://
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:07:41 pm »

1) Tech comes out, sees that no paper will feed from top tray when roll feed holder is installed. He can't find anything wrong, it just doesn't work.  If roll feed unit is removed and regular top tray attachment is put back on, works fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's because if the auto roll feeder is attached, those rollers you insert the sheet paper into are driven by the roll feeder. In fact, I believe they are part of the roll feeder. If the roll feeder doesn't work -- that is, it won't pull roll paper into the printer -- it won't pull sheet paper either. The problem is that one of those little white gears with the springs underneath popped off. They're part of the mechanism that drives the paper forward.

Bill

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:29:11 pm »

That's because if the auto roll feeder is attached, those rollers you insert the sheet paper into are driven by the roll feeder. In fact, I believe they are part of the roll feeder. If the roll feeder doesn't work -- that is, it won't pull roll paper into the printer -- it won't pull sheet paper either. The problem is that one of those little white gears with the springs underneath popped off. They're part of the mechanism that drives the paper forward.

Nope, not in my case.  The roll feed unit feeds roll paper into the printer just fine.  I just can't feed sheets from the top tray when the roll feed unit is attached.  However, Canon sent a replacement roll feed unit by next day air--arrived today.  Tonite I will know whether it fixes the problem.

--John

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:21 pm »

Nope, not in my case.  The roll feed unit feeds roll paper into the printer just fine.  I just can't feed sheets from the top tray when the roll feed unit is attached.  However, Canon sent a replacement roll feed unit by next day air--arrived today.  Tonite I will know whether it fixes the problem.

New roll feed unit works fine with both the roll and feeding from the top tray.  There is a bit of an odd sound when ejecting a sheet of paper instead of printing on it--probably normal, but not something I expected.  Tech is coming out Friday to check since I have had so much of a problem.  This is probably just as well to make sure everything is OK.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up