Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3655 times)

Leanne

« on: February 02, 2007, 12:48:10 am »

Hi all
Firstly thank you so much for such an enlightening discussion board.  I have spent many hours pouring over these posts.

Just some quick back ground info.  I am from Cape Town, South Africa.  I studied Art as a “major” at school, have dabbled with photography off and on since I was 15 but have never really had the money to pursue this in any big way.  A few years ago I got the Canon A95 and over the past year I have been doing a fair amount of “playing” with the camera but more recently I have taken up this hobby again in quite a big way, yes even with a little p&s!  I have just been introduced to the world of HDR and of course really do require something a little more substantial than the Canon.  I am interested in every thing from Macro to landscape to animal photography so I have decided on the Nikon D80 as my first DSLR.  I have read that it is best to just buy the body as the lens it comes with is not that hot.  

So I need to ask what lenses would you recommend?  (please bear in mind budget here, I am open to second hand)

I work in Adobe Photoshop CS2 I was wondering if there are any other Tonemapping add on programs other than Photomatix that I could use?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
Leanne

dobson

• http://
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:46:34 am »

Buying gear on a budget was a lesson in comprimise. You will likely want several lenses to cover your planned applications, but cannot afford the best of any. I can't advise you on nikon specifics, but I did recently go a similar route with my canon gear.

With cost as an issue, I purchases a couple higher-end consumer lenses (in the $300 range). I got the 24-85 for landscape/general and a 100-300 for wildlife and such and a cheap 50mm 1.8 for low light work . The consumer level lenses are usually cheap on the used market as people upgrade to higher-quality equipment.

I ended up learning little tricks on how to get the most out of each lens. Like optimum apertures, and reversing lenses for macro shots. I was then able to judge where the weak points in my lens arsenal were, and upgrade intelligently.

There really isn't an easy solution. Just do some research on specific lenses and find the ones of greatest-value/lowest-cost to you.

Phillip

Leanne

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:21:30 am »

Hi
Thanks, I do understand that buying on a budget is an issue, my thoughts were that perhaps some one could be more specific as to the type of lenses / makes / what they would be useful for I should be keeping a look out for.  Perhaps advising me as to what I could start with first and as I save up money should be watching for even if it is a far more expensive lens, as you said, people upgrade, so I could find something a little more reasonable second hand (but I need a bit more specific info).  

Philip as you said you use a 24/85 for general ... would this work for Makro work?  Could some one advise what make/model would be best for the Nikon D80?

Thanks
Leanne

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:17:49 pm »

Hi
Thanks, I do understand that buying on a budget is an issue, my thoughts were that perhaps some one could be more specific as to the type of lenses / makes / what they would be useful for I should be keeping a look out for.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leanne, the problem is essentially that it is difficult to say what lenses you need to have without an idea of what you want to do. I presume that HDR implies landscape/architectural work, which would suggest wide-normal lenses, but I am sure there are other applications you could put HDR to. If you are planning on doing a lot of macro work, you will want a deddiccated lens for it, but if you are only doing it occassionally, you can get away with a lens that has a macro feature for closer focusing. You will use different lenses for different applications, and people's willingness to carry around multiple lenses varies--there are a lot of issues here that you need to decide on before anyone can really give targeted advice. If you are not sure what you want, you could always start with one of the inexpensive normal lenses to get a hand on what you really want to do with the camera, but you have been using your digicam for a while and perhaps have something of an iddea (my Minolta S414 told me I really needed a good macro lens--I got the sigma 50mm EX macro and loved it until it was stolen).

If you really can't make up your mind, and want everything, I seem to recall the Nikon users saying that the 18-200mm lens is really quite good (but ask them first to be sure!).
-Sean [ we

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:02:54 pm »

If you want a general-purpose Nikon zoom lens, the 18-200 DX VR lens larkvi mentions is extremely good, but also pretty expensive (something like $700-$800, if I recall correctly).  Unless you want to do wildlife photos or something else requiring a long lens, the 18-70 DX lens is just about as good for much less money (maybe $250-$300?), but doesn't have VR (vibration reduction, which you can live without if you typically photograph in pretty good light) or the long end.

I have both.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

So I need to ask what lenses would you recommend? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would steer clear of small aperture zooms and learn your craft with a couple of prime lenses

50 1.8 nikkor (portraits) and a wide like a sigma 15 (scenery)

For macro you can get a cheap extension ring for the 50

When you have more cash get a telephoto 300 f4 or 180 2.8

I see no need for zooming - you have feet I assume

Good luck

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Leanne

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 04:46:41 pm »

Hi
Thank you so much ... especially Morgan who has mentioned some very nice specific lenses and this is more what I needed.

I probably do more Makro work than anything else ... when I say photographing animals I mean well not really the wildlife (I live a few hundred miles from the closest game farm) but more domestic pets.  How ever I enjoy landscape, buildings, architecture etc... and yes I do have feet; I do a lot of "wandering".

My Canon A95 has sufficed thus far and done some great work from Makro to landscape and I guess I was hoping to find a lens for the Nikon that would give me similar features to at least start with.

Does this perhaps answer some questions?

Regards Leanne

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 05:13:55 pm »

The advice that were given are good.

If I can give you one additional piece of advice though, I would try to be more specific than HDR.

HDR is a valuable technique to add to one's skillset, but the cool effect of the new thing is vanishing quick. In the end, just for like panoramas, the content of the HDR image will make the difference.

Then we are back with the initial question, what kind of subject to you want to shoot? That will drive your best lens selection.

If you don't know, and can only afford one lens, there are several valuable approches, but my personnal pick would be a zoom lens with a wide range indeed. A 18-200 VR will enable you to experience a lot.

Cheers,
Bernard

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:15:23 am »

Hi
Thank you so much [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oops.. I think the 15 sigma is a fisheye so you would need a different wide

I dont really know a decent value wide for nikon - I ended up buying a 14 2.8 but this lense is both expensive and very vunerable to damage because you cant put a filter on the front - I woule consider the 12-24

In terms of macro I have seen manual macro 50 2.8 in the uk for £60

Before buying maunal lenses you must check they work with the D80

In terms of cost I have never bought cheap lenses but have always bought lenses I didnt ever need to replace - saving me money in the long run

I made a living for years with a 24 a 50 and a 135 but the small chip of modern nikons makes getting a decent wide expensive

Starting buying gear from scratch I would get a canon 5d and a 24 and a 50  and then a 200 in time

You may find that the extra cost of the camera is obliterated in the cost of the lenses

WIth nikon you will have to spend to get a decent wide  - I consider 24  to be a normal wide on a 35mm chip which is 16 in small chip language

Also dont beleive the internet - try before you buy

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

marcmccalmont

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 09:35:02 am »

If you want a general-purpose Nikon zoom lens, the 18-200 DX VR lens larkvi mentions is extremely good, but also pretty expensive (something like $700-$800, if I recall correctly).  Unless you want to do wildlife photos or something else requiring a long lens, the 18-70 DX lens is just about as good for much less money (maybe $250-$300?), but doesn't have VR (vibration reduction, which you can live without if you typically photograph in pretty good light) or the long end.

I have both.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am very happy with my 18-200 VR also, as an all purpose lens. I paid $700 in Tokyo. Very good combination with the D80 and supported by DXO improving the performance of the lens.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Leanne

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:48:29 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont,Feb 3 2007, 04:35 PM
I am very happy with my 18-200 VR

Any one want to suggest a brand name or should I just go with the Nikkor?
Regards
Leanne

marcmccalmont

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 09:22:56 am »

Quote from: Leanne,Feb 4 2007, 01:48 AM
Quote from: marcmccalmont,Feb 3 2007, 04:35 PM
I am very happy with my 18-200 VR

Any one want to suggest a brand name or should I just go with the Nikkor?
Regards
Leanne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for not being specific, Nikon
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Leanne

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 04:58:16 am »

Thanks guys your advice has been taken

I will hopefully be getting her in a month or so.

Will keep you posted and I am sure have a gazillion questions once she arrives.
Regards
Leanne
PS ... does any one name their camera's?
Pages: [1]   Go Up