Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images for Web  (Read 5420 times)

NeilBrander

Images for Web
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:52:46 pm »

I am creating a website and converting my images to the appropriate size and format.  But when I use the save for web option (which I assume optimizes images for web browser viewing) I get a color shift and the images become darker.  While I could correct each image it is time consuming and in the end would not be a very accurate way at going at things.

My question is twofold:

Why is this happening?

And how can I correct it or should I just use save as (jpeg) and adjust the quality for the type of compression I find acceptable?

I should add that I've tried both and find the save for web images are able to be enlarged without as much deterioration.

Neil

francois

Images for Web
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:00:16 pm »

I am creating a website and converting my images to the appropriate size and format.  But when I use the save for web option (which I assume optimizes images for web browser viewing) I get a color shift and the images become darker.  While I could correct each image it is time consuming and in the end would not be a very accurate way at going at things.

My question is twofold:

Why is this happening?

And how can I correct it or should I just use save as (jpeg) and adjust the quality for the type of compression I find acceptable?

I should add that I've tried both and find the save for web images are able to be enlarged without as much deterioration.

Neil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Neil,
First question: did you convert your images to sRGB?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 04:00:45 pm by francois »
Francois

NeilBrander

Images for Web
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:46:18 pm »

I hadn't but am now doing the conversion.  My images are better, but are still slightly or more than slightly magenta.  I know I can correct this easily, but I'm wondering why this is happening and if I can do something so I won't have to correct each image?

thanks

Neil

francois

Images for Web
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:16:49 am »

I hadn't but am now doing the conversion.  My images are better, but are still slightly or more than slightly magenta.  I know I can correct this easily, but I'm wondering why this is happening and if I can do something so I won't have to correct each image?

thanks

Neil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most web browsers are not color managed and most monitors are not calibrated. Trying to modify your photos so they are displayed correctly is a bit like shooting at a moving target at night.
I would say that the difference you see in the ""Save for web..." window between your original image and the one for the web is normal. Converting to sRGB - as you did - is the only thing you can do to minimize these differences. Remember, you have no control (web browsers, monitor calibration etc.) on those who visit you website
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:18:20 am by francois »
Francois

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Images for Web
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:21:46 am »

I know I can correct this easily, but I'm wondering why this is happening and if I can do something so I won't have to correct each image?

Don't bother; attempting to do so would be a complete waste of time. sRGB is a sort of average color space that most monitor manufacturers kinda-sorta shoot for. Any adjustments you make from sRGB will make the photos look worse on more monitors than it will help, so attempting to do so is extermely ill-advised. The best you can do is make the image look correct in sRGB on a color-managed monitor in Photoshop or other color-aware application.

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
Images for Web
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:36 am »

I hadn't but am now doing the conversion.  My images are better, but are still slightly or more than slightly magenta.  I know I can correct this easily, but I'm wondering why this is happening and if I can do something so I won't have to correct each image?
thanks
Neil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Neil,
Here is a workflow for converting images for web use that works well for me:
1.   Once you have completed prep of the image in PS and have sized it for your web page, convert to srgb  (Edit>Convert to Profile)  I use the sRGB IEC611966-2.1 profile, Adobe Engine, Relative Colormetic, and check black point compensation.
2.  Very light sharpening (I use PK Sharpener Output Sharpening for Web Output)
3.  Save for Web.  For photos (jpg) about a Quality of 60 - 70 works well for me in terms of file size and quality, and I do check the ICC Profile box to include the profile.  Not all browsers will support the use of profiles, but at least it is there for the ones that do.  For those that don't, srgb is as close as it is going to get across such a broad spectrum of monitors, systems, and lack of calibrations.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

pminicucci

Images for Web
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:33:43 am »

Neil:

Check to see what instruction Save-For-the-Web has for previewing images. You may be encountering a clash of gamma differences (2.2 versus 1.8). Just click on the drop-down triangle at the top right of the SFTW preview window and see what the preview instructions are. If you are using 1.8 gamma and previewing in 2.2 (Standard Windows) the image will get darker.
Best,
Pat

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Images for Web
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 11:54:10 am »

It's always been a puzzle to me why "Save for Web" doesn't automatically convert to sRGB.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

NeilBrander

Images for Web
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 02:26:21 pm »

Neil:

Check to see what instruction Save-For-the-Web has for previewing images. You may be encountering a clash of gamma differences (2.2 versus 1.8). Just click on the drop-down triangle at the top right of the SFTW preview window and see what the preview instructions are. If you are using 1.8 gamma and previewing in 2.2 (Standard Windows) the image will get darker.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There was nothing about gamma, but I did have uncomepesated color checked (most be default).  Is that correct?

Neil

61Dynamic

• http://
Images for Web
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 03:02:30 pm »

It's always been a puzzle to me why "Save for Web" doesn't automatically convert to sRGB.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
CS 3 will do that but you'll have to activate it first in the fly-out menu.

Neil,

Mac or PC? Is your display calibrated?
Pages: [1]   Go Up