Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flexcolor problem  (Read 3608 times)

zooizl

flexcolor problem
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:18:44 pm »

call me pixel peeking.  you are looking at a crop of a shot i did with imacon 96C(16MP) back with a mamiya 645AFD 80mm standard lens.  i converted it with flexcolor 4.6 to tiff with very moderate sharpening and noise reduction off and pretty much default RGB setting.  
OK, it is open in PS-CS1 and i am viewing it at 300% when i take a screen shot.  See all those "cross" pattern on the background and her face.  i know you are looking at jpeg but i swear it is there as obvious in tiff mode too. You won't notice it at 100% but if you interpolate the image in PS to bigger file, it do show some weird cross texture in it.  I do shoot with my partner's H1 with the zoom and P25 of the same sort of shots before with the same kind of background.  But processed in C1 give me a much cleaner shot that even when i blow up to 300% in PS in viewing, it is still smooth like silk.  
So, now the question is, is it my back, flexcolor or mamiya lens that is to blame to produce these defects here.  Anybody using flexcolor can give me a hint here.  thank you.
[attachment=1702:attachment]

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
flexcolor problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:47 pm »

call me pixel peeking.  you are looking at a crop of a shot i did with imacon 96C(16MP) back with a mamiya 645AFD 80mm standard lens.  i converted it with flexcolor 4.6 to tiff with very moderate sharpening and noise reduction off and pretty much default RGB setting. 
OK, it is open in PS-CS1 and i am viewing it at 300% when i take a screen shot.  See all those "cross" pattern on the background and her face.  i know you are looking at jpeg but i swear it is there as obvious in tiff mode too. You won't notice it at 100% but if you interpolate the image in PS to bigger file, it do show some weird cross texture in it.  I do shoot with my partner's H1 with the zoom and P25 of the same sort of shots before with the same kind of background.  But processed in C1 give me a much cleaner shot that even when i blow up to 300% in PS in viewing, it is still smooth like silk. 
So, now the question is, is it my back, flexcolor or mamiya lens that is to blame to produce these defects here.  Anybody using flexcolor can give me a hint here.  thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Zooizl:

It looks like a corrupted calibration file or preference file. Contact me off-line and I can run you through some fix-its.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
404-543-8475
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

sudarshanchari

flexcolor problem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:38:08 pm »

call me pixel peeking.  you are looking at a crop of a shot i did with imacon 96C(16MP) back with a mamiya 645AFD 80mm standard lens.  i converted it with flexcolor 4.6 to tiff with very moderate sharpening and noise reduction off and pretty much default RGB setting. 
OK, it is open in PS-CS1 and i am viewing it at 300% when i take a screen shot.  See all those "cross" pattern on the background and her face.  i know you are looking at jpeg but i swear it is there as obvious in tiff mode too. You won't notice it at 100% but if you interpolate the image in PS to bigger file, it do show some weird cross texture in it.  I do shoot with my partner's H1 with the zoom and P25 of the same sort of shots before with the same kind of background.  But processed in C1 give me a much cleaner shot that even when i blow up to 300% in PS in viewing, it is still smooth like silk. 
So, now the question is, is it my back, flexcolor or mamiya lens that is to blame to produce these defects here.  Anybody using flexcolor can give me a hint here.  thank you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I've had similar cross pattern formation  using flexcolor with a H2D 22 but it only was visible when i used extreme sharpening in flex. Around 300 and it almost disappeared when i lowered the sharpening to 75 or 50. Is the cross pattern visible even if you apply 0 sharpening in flex?

zooizl

flexcolor problem
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:45:52 pm »

Hi,

I've had similar cross pattern formation  using flexcolor with a H2D 22 but it only was visible when i used extreme sharpening in flex. Around 300 and it almost disappeared when i lowered the sharpening to 75 or 50. Is the cross pattern visible even if you apply 0 sharpening in flex?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thank you for the reply.  
if i don't remember wrong, my sharpening setting is 150 at 0.6 radius.  but let me try one at 0 sharpening and 0 noise reduction tommorrow to see if it improve.  
by the way, flexcolor converted images looks really soft without any sharpening.  so is it better to do it afterwards in PS.

cheers
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:47:05 pm by zooizl »

alastairbird

• http://www.alastairbird.com
flexcolor problem
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:29:11 pm »

That is a tell-tale sign of a back that is out of calibration tolerance for the new Flexcolor software.  I had the identical problem, and I re-installed, re calibrated and re-did everything for the back.  Nothing I could do solved the problem.

Here is the deal, as I understood it from Hasselblad, in Redmond.

Flexcolor 4.6 has a new de-mosaic algorhythm (sp?) that gives great new detail, but also shows up the tolerace issues with the older backs.

Such as my V96C.  If the file has already been imported via 4.6, there is nothing you can do.  If you still have the files on your image bank, you can re-process the file in 4.3 or 4.2 or an earlier version, the pattern will not be there, but you'll notice some very small artifacts around fine details at about 300 or 400%.

And this is not pixel-peeping, because it's a variable thing - sometimes it's clear as a bell at 100%.

And it sucks.

The solution (well, my solution) was to send the back to Denmark and have it re-calibrated.  I've not shot too many blue skies with it recently, but it appears to work perfectly now.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at al@alastairbird.com

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:30:19 pm by alastairbird »
Pages: [1]   Go Up