Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 Banding Fix  (Read 2811 times)

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 Banding Fix
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:57:15 pm »

Jim H WY on the IPF5000 Wiki came up with a solution to his nasty banding problem for the trailing 1.25 inches of paper on prints made from the Cassette.  It completely eliminated the banding for me as well, so I feel reasonably confident that this fix is the solution.  Here is the procedure (see the Wiki for additional details and discussion):

1.  Install Firmware 1.23
2. On the printer LCD menu choose: Adjust Printer -> Manual Band Adj -> Adj Far Ed Feed and set to "Yes"
3. You can use letter size paper in the Cassette. Printer will print a sheet (assuming you have paper in the Cassette and have the Cassete selected)
4. Examine the rows C1 and C2 with a loupe and find the column in each row that shows no banding. If you can't choose between two adjacent columns, use a number between them.
5. Enter the number determined above for C1 and C2 by using the right and left arrow keys and choosing OK.

You may need to make this adjustment for every type (and size?) of paper you'll be using, and you may need to make it every time you switch paper because the printer does not appear to save these parameters separately for each paper type/size. You can record these values for each paper type and if you have to re-enter them, just print the pattern on a blank sheet 20 lb. bond paper so you can get to the part where you enter the values for C1 and C2.

It isn't known yet whether the Automatic banding adjustmehnt would work just as well, or how different the values may be for different paper types. More information is needed from Canon about how the values are stored and whether they apply to each paper type or the printer as a whole.

--John

naisan

IPF5000 Banding Fix
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:20:21 pm »

This is kind of hilarious (remember I own an iPF5000 as well). . . in a way that only ain iPF5000 owner can appreciate.

I think Canon did this on purpose. . . to make us bond together like a band of brothers.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
IPF5000 Banding Fix
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:21:01 am »

This is kind of hilarious (remember I own an iPF5000 as well). . . in a way that only ain iPF5000 owner can appreciate.

I think Canon did this on purpose. . . to make us bond together like a band of brothers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Does help to have a sense of humor.  Clearly Canon had this "adjustment" built into the firmware.  Apparently NO ONE at Canon USA knew about it though     SOoo, we iPF5000 owners go through all kinds of hoops trying to figure out what is going on.  If there had been decent documentation, it probably would have never been an issue.  Anyway, I did the adjustments and my printer is purring just fine.. Love it.  

I also have an Epson 3800 in the studio for 5x7 cut sheet.  Geesh, already dealing with nozzle clog and cleanings, the classic Epson problem.  Not one nozzle issue in six months of using the iPF5000   .
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 Banding Fix
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:54:15 am »

Clearly Canon had this "adjustment" built into the firmware.  Apparently NO ONE at Canon USA knew about it though     SOoo, we iPF5000 owners go through all kinds of hoops trying to figure out what is going on.  If there had been decent documentation, it probably would have never been an issue.  Anyway, I did the adjustments and my printer is purring just fine.. Love it. 

Tony,

Now that your banding problem is fixed I am going to declare this an "official" end to the problem, as you were one of the first ones to bring this up (and loudly).  The strange thing is, this adjustment (Far End Band Adjust) is not new to the firmware.  It was certainly there in version 1.08, although there were 20 patterns instead of 32.  Probably you could have fixed the problem months ago if someone just told you what to adjust!

Now if we could just get the Photoshop plugin to center EVERY print and use Black Point Compensation when Relative Rendering Intent is selected, we would be in hog heaven...

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up