Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup Storage  (Read 3272 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Backup Storage
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:32:36 pm »

I am considering and reading with interest the discussion about External backup storage.  I am new this arena and trying to understand the vocabulary and technology.

I think what I want to backup my files is and external device with hot swapable drives so I can store my files safely and get to them when I need them.  There are several brands of these with RAID arrangements, but I am not sure if I need one of these or just a large drive or two to provide this backup.  Maybe I just need a box that I can plug in different drives to store my files.

I do not need a server theat supports several machines on a network-- just a simple way to store and backup my files for one user.

What would the comunity recommend?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Backup Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:43:17 am »

External SATA-drives seems to be a good choice.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/17/the...ternal_storage/

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Backup Storage
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:07:33 pm »

I'm going to be upgrading my current system (100 gig main drive, 40 gig "d" and 2 x 250 external USBs for back up) with something like an 350 internal data, second 100 gig internal for system drive and an external 350 SATA to back up the 350 internal.    I'm not going down the raid path....   But I've absolutely moved away from CD/DVD archives.

bjanes

Backup Storage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:37 pm »

I am considering and reading with interest the discussion about External backup storage.  I am new this arena and trying to understand the vocabulary and technology.

I think what I want to backup my files is and external device with hot swapable drives so I can store my files safely and get to them when I need them.  There are several brands of these with RAID arrangements, but I am not sure if I need one of these or just a large drive or two to provide this backup.  Maybe I just need a box that I can plug in different drives to store my files.

I do not need a server theat supports several machines on a network-- just a simple way to store and backup my files for one user.

What would the comunity recommend?

MDIJB
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4111362&JRSource=nextag.datafeed.SAG+ST3500641CB]Seagate 500GB USB/firewire[/url] is available from J&R for $219.

Bill

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
Backup Storage
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

I do both approaches, since each is fragile in its own way. I archive my digital images by date of shoot when the latest batch reaches 700 megs (onto CDs). I also keep an accumulation of images, edited down, in organized-by-subject folders on an external 200 gig FireWire drive so I have portable instant access to my own stock photos.

Once I get recent images sorted and the subject folders in the FW drive edited down to only the best and most useful images, I intend to back up the organized set onto data DVDs.

I use GraphicConverter (Mac) as an image viewer. At this point I'm not using Lightroom, Portfolio, etc., even though I have them all.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Ray

Backup Storage
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:37:21 pm »

As Jack Flesher recently commented on another thread about my external hard drive woes, this subject has been discussed ad nauseum. It cannot be resolved because each person tends to act upon his/her own experience.

If your next door neighboor happens to have bought a new car which turns out to be a 'lemon', gives no end of trouble and is back and forth to the mechanic many times during the warranty period, are you going to buy the same model of car? I think not, even though a certain rational part of your mind may be telling you, 'this is just a 'lemon'.

Those people who show discolored, fungus-covered pictures of so-called 'bit rot' on CDs or DVDs are in the same category as your next door neighbour with an automobile lemon.

My experience of CD/DVDs is that the archives actually improve with age. The media gets faster with time, when opening files. I imagine also that error correction improves as technology advances. Example, I have a couple of pirated DVD movies (bought in Thailand) which refuse to play on my 'stand alone' DVD player, but play just fine on my more modern computer DVD drive. I've had instances when my first Kodak Photo CD discs (now 12 years old) would not play on a new CD-ROM drive, which caused me some consternation because I thought the discs were physically deteriorating and gave Kodak hell, over their toll free line, untill I discovered the real culprit was a substandard CD-ROM drive.

It's my experience, that for long term, maintenance-free, forget-about, archival storage, the optical disc with no moving parts is still the most reliable.

Others may disagree, not necessarily as a result of any statistical information I would suggest, but because of their own personal experience with lemons.

There are also other considerations, such as the value you place on your own time. My calculations show that currently (in Australia) hard drives are about 5x the cost of DVD storage, but hard drives clearly save time. It would have been a lot quicker for me to have copied my recently lost 140Gb of images to a second hard drive, than copy those files to about 35 DVD discs.

In the long term, the cost might be far greater than 5x. For example, the cost of my first Kodak Photo CD, even including Kodak's charge of scanning thos slides for me, was far less than the cost of my first 850MB Western Digital hard drive, which was A$850. I remember this cost because of the coincidence of exactly $1 per MB.

If I'd stored just one 650mb CD-ROM on this hard drive at the time, how frequently would I have felt the need to re-transfer that data to more modern drives in the 12 year period. What would the total cost be now, 12 years later?

med007

• http://www.openphotographyforums.com
Backup Storage
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 06:04:22 am »

My experience of CD/DVDs is that the archives actually improve with age. The media gets faster with time, when opening files. I imagine also that error correction improves as technology advances. Example, I have a couple of pirated DVD movies (bought in Thailand) which refuse to play on my 'stand alone' DVD player, but play just fine on my more modern computer DVD drive. I've had instances when my first Kodak Photo CD discs (now 12 years old) would not play on a new CD-ROM drive, which caused me some consternation because I thought the discs were physically deteriorating and gave Kodak hell, over their toll free line, untill I discovered the real culprit was a substandard CD-ROM drive.

It's my experience, that for long term, maintenance-free, forget-about, archival storage, the optical disc with no moving parts is still the most reliable.

Others may disagree, not necessarily as a result of any statistical information I would suggest, but because of their own personal experience with lemons.

There are also other considerations, such as the value you place on your own time. My calculations show that currently (in Australia) hard drives are about 5x the cost of DVD storage, but hard drives clearly save time. It would have been a lot quicker for me to have copied my recently lost 140Gb of images to a second hard drive, than copy those files to about 35 DVD discs.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray,

All the media we use will fail.

The most promising may well be the upcoming Blue Ray disk where an inorganic chemical not photoplymer process locks in the data.

At present, a busy photographer can't stop to make DVD copies but his assistant can and this is part of the job of the phot tech on a shoot with a MF back where designers might want to go away with images.

However, for many of us, we have not got the time to stop to check if the disk was burnt properly and verified.

By contrast, backup to hard drives is fast and one can easily use error checking programs to make sure that one has perfect copies. There are numerous programs to automate this.

One does not need expensive RAID systems.

Beware of the Mirror raid as you can copy rubbish and damaged data.

Rather get redundant drives and error check.

One drive for your data, another backup done regularly incrementally and then one drive that is kept off the premises and at intervals brought up to date. That's the minimum. It just requires investment in simple hardware.

Drives are cheap.

As a start, I'd strongly suggest buying Peter Krogh's, The DAM Book, as this will be the cornerstone for safegaurding and exploitingyour digital files.

For myself, however, with say just 500-2000 shots per week, the 3-4 drive system I outlined is sufficient.

Asher Kelman

[a href=\"http://www.openphotographyforums.com]http://www.openphotographyforums.com[/url]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 06:05:17 am by med007 »
[span style='color:blue'][url=http://www
Pages: [1]   Go Up