Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: specialty papers for pigment printers.....  (Read 2556 times)

picnic

specialty papers for pigment printers.....
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:11:16 pm »

I'm looking for 2 papers.  One is less difficult to find, but I'll take any other suggestions.  The first is a 2 sided paper for using in handmade books--my own.  At present I've used the Epson duo sided matte, have ordered the IJA Duobrite longgrain matte and have tried the heavier weight (just for sampling of image quality) of the Red River Premium Matte (which I used at one time with the 1280).  They have a 5 mil. duo sided Premium matte that may work.  

The other paper is a pigment ink printable vellum--the thinner, the better.  I've tried some vellums that have been around for awhile--some Proart vellum--16 lb..  I'm printing with a 3800 so added some drying time, set the platen gap to narrow,  and decreased the ink density.  I knew the inks wouldn't dry easily--but they did with a bit of time.  This vellum is not bad--but have no idea where to buy more---its been around for years I think LOL and I'd really like an even thinner vellum.  The Red River vellum is not recommended for pigment ink--so it may have the same issues, but this did dry.  I will use primarily between heavier papers--and with primarily text, probably not photos--altho' possible graphics (I did text in several fonts, handwritten with Wacom pen, and some graphics 'sort of' with various brushes.  They all did pretty well in black).  

Diane
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:12:19 pm by picnic »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

For the first question: for matte I recommend Moab Entrada Fine Art, which is 2-sided and comes in both Natural (no brighteners) or Bright White (with brighteners) and both 190 and 300 gsm versions -- for a total of 4 combinations, all 2-sided. As usual, apply a brush over the surface before printing to minimize the chances of loose paper specks from coming off afterwards. The 190 weight is probably more appropriate for a book. 300 makes it thick and the pages a little harder to handle and turn, but then again it depends on how big you plan to make your book. Pretty economical.

Other options include Moab Kayenta (less expensive) and Red River Dourian Art (more expensive). Dourian should give you the deepest black of these three.

For non-matte I recommend Moab Kokopelli Studio Semi-Gloss 285, which I use in my own hand-made books. Not too glossy, good weight, good gamut, nice all around performer, and 2-sided of course. Of course this will have the deepest black and largest gamut of all the papers listed here.

Eric
Eric Chan

picnic

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:50:54 pm »

For the first question: for matte I recommend Moab Entrada Fine Art, which is 2-sided and comes in both Natural (no brighteners) or Bright White (with brighteners) and both 190 and 300 gsm versions -- for a total of 4 combinations, all 2-sided. As usual, apply a brush over the surface before printing to minimize the chances of loose paper specks from coming off afterwards. The 190 weight is probably more appropriate for a book. 300 makes it thick and the pages a little harder to handle and turn, but then again it depends on how big you plan to make your book. Pretty economical.

Other options include Moab Kayenta (less expensive) and Red River Dourian Art (more expensive). Dourian should give you the deepest black of these three.

For non-matte I recommend Moab Kokopelli Studio Semi-Gloss 285, which I use in my own hand-made books. Not too glossy, good weight, good gamut, nice all around performer, and 2-sided of course. Of course this will have the deepest black and largest gamut of all the papers listed here.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric, are you creating signatures with more than a couple of folios?---I have samples of both those papers (Moab) and like them but would be afraid that they would present problems with signaures of more than a couple of folios--and handsewing also.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up