Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any one with experience with the Truewide ?  (Read 3650 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
Any one with experience with the Truewide ?
« on: January 29, 2007, 12:20:15 pm »

hello

hi guys, jumping back in again on the "what's good for shooting architecture with digital back" question.

anyone with working experience with the truewide with a 35 by 46mm back ?
which lenses offer enough coverage ? will any shift lens offer enough image circle to work ?
and ultimately, what is the image quality shooting a MF back with a 35mm lens.

I know in past discussions the conclusion is to shoot withe the likes of the camboWDS with super wide lenses such as the schneider 28mm and 35mm, but are there any midway solutions ?

thanks and cheers

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:11:06 pm »

I reckon it looks like a 'good thing'

You get about 17MP worth out of a 22mp chip with a nikkor

I think the lenses are sharp beyond the 35 official coverage

Trouble is that the true wide doesnt take an H1 mount which rules it out for me

Silvestri make what appears to be an intelligent solution being a nikkor plate for thier camera which would also take LF lenses when you have the extra cash

Unfortuantely Silvestri UK dealer dont reply to enquiries

Obvously 35mm lenses wont allow rise or fall but the 14 would be the widest single shot capture known to man ??

And there is the cambo mini wide copal 3 to consider

Trouble is I am not convinced that you are not better off spending on a 5d or even kodak SLRn

Does anyone know how bad the 5d and 16-35 is ??

SMM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:16:49 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:37:32 pm »

Trouble is I am not convinced that you are not better off spending on a 5d or even kodak SLRn

Does anyone know how bad the 5d and 16-35 is ??

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well, I do have a 5d and I also have the 24mm TS for the architecture work I do see color fringes which bothers me.

the truewide uses a copal 3 shutter, so with a Shift lens, it should be able to cover fullframe
right ? or is the coverage limited by the shutter itself and not the lens's image projection ?

cheers

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:44:06 pm »

For my thinking, one of the biggest selling points of a MFDB is the ability to use the digital lenses on the Alpa, Cambo, and other cameras.  The time savings and quality improvements in not dealing with chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, soft corners.... is really important if you are making a living with the equipment.

The D2x and the 1Ds II pretty much out-resolve the 35mm lenses already.  I would guess that putting those lenses on an even higher rez back would not gain you anything, except greater dynamic range and an improved tethered workflow.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 03:16:04 pm »

I have one.

BTW you can get it with H mount as well I believe. You have to contact Kapturegroup to make sure. They are really helpful.

The Zeiss ZF Planar lens range is what I use on the thing a lot and they outresolve any lens that currently exists. The Truewide and the ZF lenses will give systems with the Rodenstock HR and the Digitars a real run for their money.

When used with a cropped MFDB you can use the whole sensor surface with most lenses.

Yes, you better use the best glass you can find. Sofar, my experience is that most things above 35mm can be used without problems and cropping (a 0,8 'Widening' factor as a bonus). Below, you have to carefully pick your lenses. The 24 and 20 I had to crop back to around 24 resp. 20 to get a usable picture. On my Aptus17 this still means about 12MP. Next month I will get the ZF25/2.8, I am really looking forward to that.

Silvestri in Italy does not respond on my enquiries either.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 03:25:54 pm by Dustbak »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:15:57 am »

For my thinking, one of the biggest selling points of a MFDB is the ability to use the digital lenses on the Alpa, Cambo, and other cameras.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True but some of us cant afford those rigs !

I own an eyelike22 and H1 which is limited on wide and also nikkor glass down to 14/2.8 and some mamiya manual glass too (24 fish)

I for one would be very interested in marrying  my existing glass to my existing back

The results are bound to be better than my SLRn or D200

Trouble is is it needs to be cheaper than a 5d or 1DS and a 16-35 and or 24/TS

I think there is a kind of inherrant frustration in owning some nice glass and a nice bit of 'digital film' and not being able to marry the two

Especially when even if I bought an alpa it still not be that great a solution - no focus facility (!) - if it were a proper rangefinder then it may be a different story - worth selling the granny for

Because lets face it a 5d shot that is in focus is better than an Alpa shot that is out of focus

==============

ps any V mount users will notice that Teamwork have a horseman digiflex for £400 at the moment

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:18:10 am »

I also own a Digiflex II. You have to get used to the viewfinder. When I first started to use it I did not like it. It vignets, it is quite difficult to look through.

I have been using the thing for almost 2 years now and it is now one of my favorite machines for some occasions. (expo impressions, product shots on expo locations).

The Digiflex II is just 24x36. It will give you a little bit more on the edges than that (maybe 26x38) but the rest will be black. If you wish I can show you how this looks like. I find it a nice border, the digital equivalent of the Hasselblad borders

It will give you around 12MP on a 17MP cropped MFDB. So it will probably leave you around 22MP on a thing like a P30.

Horseman does not support it anymore. Actually they completely ignore any email you send to them so they probably don't support anything.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:26:29 am by Dustbak »
Pages: [1]   Go Up