Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and the M8  (Read 7835 times)

glenerrolrd

Lightroom and the M8
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:16:16 am »

Using Lightroom from the first beta on a MacBook Pro and particularly like the structured integrated workflow.  Started with Canon .CR2 raw files but then added Leicas .DNG for the d-lux2 and then the R9/DMR.  Had to make a few more adjustments for the DMR but basically looked like good Raw conversions.  Then the M8 arrived  ..getting decent WB even with an ExpoDisc and a Whibal is an effort .  Most M8 users appear to have standardized on Capture One which is included with the M8.  Since Michael has been a long time advocate for Capture One and now Lightroom, I am hoping top get some advice on my workflow?   I will continue to have files from 4 different cameras.

michael

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:08:14 pm »

There are still many things that I like about C1, but I've moved 95% to Lightroom, including for the M8 and P45. I find it totally compelling.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:08:43 pm by michael »

hubell

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »

There are still many things that I like about C1, but I've moved 95% to Lightroom, including for the M8 and P45. I find it totally compelling.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is Lightroom V.1 able to do the raw conversion of P45 files?

hubell

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:41:34 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Answer: [a href=\"http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/]http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/[/url]

I will be curious to hear about the quality of the raw conversions compared to C-1.

michael

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98109\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, though not officially. Thomas added P45 support to Camera Raw for Charley Cramer, Bill Atkinson, and me when we got our backs this past spring. Lightroom uses the same core raw file support as does CR.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:10:14 pm by michael »

glenerrolrd

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 07:21:35 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Should I expect better conversions in V 1.0 (for the M8 .DNG  files) than the 4.1 beta.  The quality of the raw conversion seems to be the key reason why others are favoring Capture One.

michael

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 07:22:51 pm »

It's a trade off. I feel that C1's conversions are somewhat better with the M8, but Lightroom is a superior environment in which to work.

Michael

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 10:00:48 pm »

Lightroom also does an absolutely AMAZING job on Leaf .mos raw files. Leaf's sales would soar if they bundled Lightroom free with every back....

My buddy Jimbo loves how his P30 files look in Lightroom as well.

It's nice that unlike Aperture, Lightroom's not afraid of the "medium."

James Russell

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:37:16 pm »

Lightroom also does an absolutely AMAZING job on Leaf .mos raw files. Leaf's sales would soar if they bundled Lightroom free with every back....

My buddy Jimbo loves how his P30 files look in Lightroom as well.

It's nice that unlike Aperture, Lightroom's not afraid of the "medium."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with Brian that the P-30 files look superior in lightroom to C-1, but right now in the beta there is a bug that crops the side off of the frames and lightroom is not automatically rotating the images.

The other issue I have with lightroom is it does not tether and after some of the Leaf software issues, I went to the Phase to get a stable workflow.  

C-1 is still the standard for tethering and I think it will process jpegs very quickly.

I have also processing my A-22 files in lightroom and it improves them dramatically, almost to the look of the P-30, though in my testing, for my style of work, the P-30 files are easier to work than my A-22 files.

Still, I think Lightroom has a lot of promise and I look forward to the release.

JR

seanmcfoto

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:14:29 am »

The other issue I have with lightroom is it does not tether and after some of the Leaf software issues, I went to the Phase to get a stable workflow. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
James,
While it doesn't speak to the camera directly, the Watched Folder mechanism now autoupdates to show the newest image (v1), making it quite usable with the camera makers tether software running in the background.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

James Russell

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:59 am »

James,
While it doesn't speak to the camera directly, the Watched Folder mechanism now autoupdates to show the newest image (v1), making it quite usable with the camera makers tether software running in the background.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have doing this running Leaf V-8 in the background and had some slight sucess.  When the "connection" to V-8 is dropped and that happens if you shoot quickly, you cannot just reset the watched folder, you have to go to a completely new folder.

JR

seanmcfoto

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 07:04:24 am »

I have doing this running Leaf V-8 in the background and had some slight sucess.  When the "connection" to V-8 is dropped and that happens if you shoot quickly, you cannot just reset the watched folder, you have to go to a completely new folder.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Let me guess the issue and save you changing the folder:
When the camera drops it leaves file residue in the folder, be it incomplete files or files that get moved to an error folder inside the watched folder. Just delete stuff from inside the watch folder and it should work fine. Auto Import only works when the watched folder is empty.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:04:51 am by seanmcfoto »
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

James Russell

Lightroom and the M8
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:41:49 am »

Let me guess the issue and save you changing the folder:
When the camera drops it leaves file residue in the folder, be it incomplete files or files that get moved to an error folder inside the watched folder. Just delete stuff from inside the watch folder and it should work fine. Auto Import only works when the watched folder is empty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98276\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct, but this is a lot of workaround just to tether and under pressure of models on set, way too much effort and too much time lost.

I have tried tethering everything to the Leaf and eventually went to Phase just for the stability and the ability to batch process in a timely manner.

Lightroom is great for processing, but thethering on set with a large volume of files just doesn't work that well with the beta.

JR
Pages: [1]   Go Up