Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30D replacement  (Read 11306 times)

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
30D replacement
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:54:52 pm »

I've been away for a while, so I apologise if this has been discussed recently, but has anyone heard any news of Canon's intention of upgrading the 30D? There are a host of 10MP SLRs out currently with many cool features (including Canon's own 400D) which make the 20D and 30D seem a little long-in-the-tooth. The 8MP sensor which graces Canon's reduced-frame prosumer camera was released in August 2004 and, while still being a top performer, has been overtaken in resolution by offerings from Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma... When will Canon up the ante and release the 400D's big brother? I would guess it would have the same dust-busting features as the 400D, but any ideas what Canon will put in this baby? Resolution?

Would love to hear your thoughts.  

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
30D replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:54:19 pm »

Those who tell, don't know, and those who know, won't tell. Anything other than an official Canon announcement is mere speculation and guesswork, and generally a waste of time to discuss.

BJL

30D replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:38:46 pm »

DPReview's Canon 30D forum is probably the best place for such speculation. There is a yet another Canon 40D thread near the top as we speak.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
30D replacement
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:26:44 am »

The truth is, there is little chance than the successor of the 30D would really add something significant to an already excellent body.

If you don't print larger than A3, or A3 with a lot of tiny details whose rendering is key to image success, then I would not worry too much if I were you.

Cheers,
Bernard

John Sheehy

30D replacement
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:23:47 am »

The truth is, there is little chance than the successor of the 30D would really add something significant to an already excellent body.

Auto-ISO is long overdue on Canon DSLRs.  Of course, I fully expect that Canon will botch up the implementation to make it less useful than it could be, resulting in a bit of negativity, if they ever get around to implementing it.

There is a lot of room for improvement in DR at low ISOs, and the banding noise in low light is addressable, but so far Canon hasn't addressed it at all.

If you don't print larger than A3, or A3 with a lot of tiny details whose rendering is key to image success, then I would not worry too much if I were you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98252\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the real world, however, we find ourselves cropping and shooting in compromised lighting.

mbridgers

30D replacement
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:08:15 am »

Best thing about a 30D replacement, if there is one, is that the 30D price will drop!  Maybe below $1000 US (from a reputable dealer).

Any word at least on when/if Canon is scheduled to make any announcements?

picnic

30D replacement
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:32:41 am »

Best thing about a 30D replacement, if there is one, is that the 30D price will drop!  Maybe below $1000 US (from a reputable dealer).

Any word at least on when/if Canon is scheduled to make any announcements?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98292\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Usually they have something to offer at PMA time--which is around the beginning of March this year.  Seems as though the 'leaks' (I've always felt they were intentional) usually start about 2 weeks or 10 days before--as Photokina also.

Diane

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
30D replacement
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:03:20 pm »

Anyone waiting for a 1.8 MP bump will be sorely disappointed when they figure out it won't help them make better photographs

The sucessor to the 30D will have other defining features, making a tiny bump in resolution (most likely only due to the phase out of production, not for it's numerical intent) almost irrelavent to the final results.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:03:33 pm by kaelaria »

macgyver

30D replacement
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »

Anyone waiting for a 1.8 MP bump will be sorely disappointed when they figure out it won't help them make better photographs

The sucessor to the 30D will have other defining features, making a tiny bump in resolution (most likely only due to the phase out of production, not for it's numerical intent) almost irrelavent to the final results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who cares about resolution, auto ISO and (i wish) some sort of weather sealing would be what I would be looking for.  And maybe a non crappy CF door....

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
30D replacement
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »

I don't really follow this space, but having just had a conversation with a co-worker (30d owner), it seem like the issue is being able to provide a sufficient increase in performance/functionality to distinguish a 40D from the Rebel Xti, without encroaching too much on the 5d (and successor -both up and down market? ) space.  My colleague is concerned that a point of distinction for the 40d might be a move to a 1.3 sensor, making his recent purchase of an EF-S lens a possible issue. (Personally I can't see Canon limiting the EF-S market like that).

Other than (maybe) the Rebel, it looks like the entire EOS lineup is scheduled for "next-genning" this year, and I would guess that getting them all appropriately positioned in the brand/value proposition spectrum was/is a pretty tough job for Canon.

jani

• Øyet
30D replacement
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:24:11 pm »

Auto-ISO is long overdue on Canon DSLRs.  Of course, I fully expect that Canon will botch up the implementation to make it less useful than it could be, resulting in a bit of negativity, if they ever get around to implementing it.
Auto-ISO is available on Canon DSLRs, but perhaps not in the form you want it.

The 1D MkII, for instance, allows auto exposure bracketing by varying ISO, but this requires that custom function 06 isn't set to 2 (1/2 stop increments for shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation).

The 20D in the "basic zone modes" has automatic ISO between 100 and 400, but that means you can't shoot raw.

I guess that counts as "botched up".
Jan

Herkko

• http://www.jussivakkala.com
30D replacement
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 01:12:46 am »

30D autofocus could be miles better without being too good. Now servo -mode is both slow and inaccurate, even 5D is better on focusing.

John Sheehy

30D replacement
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:46:35 pm »

Auto-ISO is available on Canon DSLRs, but perhaps not in the form you want it.

The 1D MkII, for instance, allows auto exposure bracketing by varying ISO, but this requires that custom function 06 isn't set to 2 (1/2 stop increments for shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation).

If timing is so non-critical that I can acccept one of a sequence of three images based on ISO (and consequently, relative exposurel), then I may have time to set the ISO myself.

The 20D in the "basic zone modes" has automatic ISO between 100 and 400, but that means you can't shoot raw.

I guess that counts as "botched up".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pretty much so.  There's no reason why RAW should be excluded from auto-ISO, and there's no reason for it to be limited to ISO 400.  Unless a very poor algorithm is used, a camera isn't going to pick ISO 1600 unless it needs it.  So, what we lucky owners get is ISO 400 with motion-blur, and/or wide-open optics!

An intelligent namual-exposure, auto-ISO mode, IMO, would have an EC setting just like fixed-ISO AE modes do now, and give the user options on what to do about fulfilling that EC granularity.  The real solutions are either to get a sensor-gain system with granularity a bit finer than a stop (that doesn't compromise read noise at any ISO), or to honor user preferences about how to compromise the chosen Av and Tv values to maintain relative exposure, if desired, using Canon's current 1-stop true ISO granularity.  This could be in the form of a list - the first 1/3 stop could be listed as Av, Tv, or none, for bringing the exposure up to level.  The same for the second.  This way, relative exposure need vary by only 1/3 stop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up