Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscapes in Utah  (Read 8085 times)

Legend87

Landscapes in Utah
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:18:40 pm »

I've settled on Utah (Logan/Salt Lake) area for my February photo trip.  I've heard that Logan and Brigham City are good places to start, but would welcome any other suggestion.  I will only be in the area 3 days, so I need to figure out which city to use as my base.
Can anyone suggest any good shooting locations in the area?  I'm not as interested in majestic mountain shots - but rather quiet, snow-covered farmhouse scenes (if that makes sense).  Of course, a breath-taking view is always a breath-taking view... so I don't want to rule anything out.

Thanks!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 02:24:08 pm »

I've settled on Utah (Logan/Salt Lake) area for my February photo trip.  I've heard that Logan and Brigham City are good places to start, but would welcome any other suggestion.  I will only be in the area 3 days, so I need to figure out which city to use as my base.
Can anyone suggest any good shooting locations in the area?  I'm not as interested in majestic mountain shots - but rather quiet, snow-covered farmhouse scenes (if that makes sense).  Of course, a breath-taking view is always a breath-taking view... so I don't want to rule anything out.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97945\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My knowledge of US geography is poor (actually, my knowledge of any geography is poor), so I don't know if it's anywhere near where you'll be, but Bryce Canyon is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Jeremy

TurnerJon

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:00:51 am »

I live in central Utah. If you want quiet rural scenes, go for Logan and the surrounding communities. Salt Lake City is approx. 2 hours from Logan on a good day by car. February may see us socked in with inversion and smog along the west side of the Wasatch Range. Logan should be clear as it is east of the mountains and higher elevation. Park City and the Heber valley would be good choices as well as closer to SLC.

Jon

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:59:59 am »

Bryce Canyon and Zion National park would be a few hours' drive from that area, but would be well worth the trip if you're going to Utah for photography. I visited both in one day, but that was kind of rushing things. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend at least a day in both places.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:01:43 pm »

I just can't imagine going to Utah with a camera and not spending time at Bryce and Zion.

ddolde

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:41 pm »

Bryce then take Hwy 12 east and visit Kodachrome Basin State Park.  Contunue east on hwy 12.  Between Escalante and Boulder it's like another planet.  Then visit Capitol Reef if you have time.

Forget the SLC area...it's ain't Utah's best by a long shot.

howiesmith

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:40:56 pm »

Less drive time from SLC is Cedar Breaks NM, near Cedar City.  It is similar to Bryce, but closer, easier to get to and much less crowded.  Maybe not as colorful, but still very nice.

Last time I was there (few years ago), a beetle bloom had killed most of the trees, so be aware of that.  The beetles kill only thw mature trees about every 75 years, naturally thinning for the younger trees.

TurnerJon

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:26:24 pm »

While I agree with everyone about the parks in southern Utah, the OP only has 3 days and has already settled on northern Utah and is in search of snow covered farm house type scenes. Trying to do both will make for a lot of driving and little shooting.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:46:19 am »

This might help:

http://utah.travel/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Legend87

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »

Thanks so much for all your input!
Out of curiousity, regarding Bryce and Zion - what do they look like this time of year?  If I can carve out a day to include one of them - is February even a good time to be there?

paulw61

• http://www.paulmaximphotography.com
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:19:05 am »

Ah, my first post on this forum........can't hide in the bushes any longer.

I first visited Zion last February.  In my opinion, it's a fantastic time to visit for a couple of reasons.  First, if you're lucky, you might get to see a little snow cover in the canyon.  In early or late light, the combination of the snow and the reds and yellows is amazing.  Second, it isn't really very cold (well, being out before sunrise can be a little chilly) - the days warm up nicely if the sun is out.  And third, the crowds are way down.  You're also there at a time of year when you can drive freely into the canyon (the shuttles don't run until late March or April).

I agree with the others - going to Utah and not visiting Zion and Bryce would be a huge mistake.  Take the time and visit these truly wonderful (and very photogenic) places.  You'll never regret it.
[url=http://www.paulmaximphotography.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:35:33 pm »

Ah, my first post on this forum........can't hide in the bushes any longer.

Well, welcome to the list!  Checked out your website... some nice work!  Thanks for sharing.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

camilla

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:08:25 pm »

By the way, Cedar Breaks, as magnificent as it is, is closed at this time of the year.

Zion and Bryce are amazing. Don;t forget to check out the area after the tunnel in Zion, going towards Checkerboard Mesa. Also, in Bryce, its is very very very cold. Make sure you bring appropriate clothing! You can stay at Ruby's Inn outside Bryce if you so wish.
Enjoy!

Chip00

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »

Arches National Park was a photo opportunity waiting to happen when I visited there off season.

dabreeze

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 10:34:51 am »

You might want to check out Shane Whitlock's Galleries on pbase.
Shane Whitlock
He's got quite a few stunning images of northern Utah with just the kind of farm houses I think you might find interesting. Try getting in touch with him.

peterbatpbasedotcom

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 05:58:46 pm »

It looks as though you're about 3.5 hours from either
Zion or Moab when you leave SLC.  You're going to have to
pick one or the other (or neither and explore closer to SLC).

If it were me, as much as I love Zion & Bryce, I'd head for Moab.

The idea of Arches where there are numerous short
but highly scenic hikes is irresistible.  I've been a couple of times
in the fall...winter would be stunning with snow on the red slickrock.

Canyonlands is there too for driving & shooting.  Iconic Mesa Arch
is there and only a couple hundred yards from the road.

The Moab area is a target rich environment.

A quick side trip to Sego Canyon (just north of I-70) is well worth it
for ancient as well as more recent pictographs.  Closer to Moab is
Potash Rd. for petroglyphs.  Amusingly identified as "Indian Writing"on
the signs.

Whatever you choose, it is hard to go wrong in Utah.

dobson

• http://
Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 09:33:54 pm »

If you end up in Moab, be sure to check out the Fisher Towers. You can't go wrong with huge, whimsically shaped towers of mud.

If you do stay in the north, check the snow reports. We're having a record low snowpack here in Montana. The same might be true down in Utah.

Maddmorg

Landscapes in Utah
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 07:16:44 pm »

I've settled on Utah (Logan/Salt Lake) area for my February photo trip.  I've heard that Logan and Brigham City are good places to start, but would welcome any other suggestion.  I will only be in the area 3 days, so I need to figure out which city to use as my base.
Can anyone suggest any good shooting locations in the area?  I'm not as interested in majestic mountain shots - but rather quiet, snow-covered farmhouse scenes (if that makes sense).  Of course, a breath-taking view is always a breath-taking view... so I don't want to rule anything out.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97945\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A good resource to Utah is "Travelers Choice: A Guide to the Best of Utah's Nat. Parks, Monuments & Recreational Areas". This guide is published by D&C Publishing in Salt Lake City, Ut. Also, Black Rabbit Productions of Boulder, CO puts out several small publications for the traveler/photographer highlighting the many slot canyons of Utah & AZ. Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]   Go Up